- "The idea is that this swings all the way over to the back of the robot, and when it's on the other side, it's actually very close to the floor, so the idea is that we just drive under someone and flip."
- — Tony Vincent explains Bash Gordon's hybrid axe/flipper weapon.
- "Very quick at 25 miles an hour, there's nothing faster. Good manoeuvrability, a strong chassis, the powerful weaponry, but the design is untested and reliability is questionable."
- — Jonathan Pearce describes Bash Gordon
Bash Gordon was a yellow box-shaped robot whose shape resembled that of Atomic, and armed with a small overhead axe that doubled as a flipper. The flipping mechanism was achieved using an additional small spike mounted on the back of the axe which was level with the arena floor when the axe was retracted, theoretically allowing it to get underneath other robots and flip them. Bash Gordon had a top speed of 25 miles per hour, a strong chassis and good maneouverability, but its weapon design was untested in battle.
The robot's name was a pun on the eponymous protagonist from the Flash Gordon comic strips, as well as the various films and TV series based on it.
Bash Gordon was entered into Robot Wars by a team based in Brentford, Middlesex. Captain Tony Vincent was joined by teammates George Vincent and Tony Colliver for the series.
Bash Gordon had entered Series 6, but failed to qualify after losing in its qualifier. It fought Disc-O-Inferno, Tetanus 2 and a third, unknown robot. Tetanus 2 crushed their speed controller, immobilising them. This was particularly disappointing for the Bash Gordon team, who had pointed out the position of their speed controllers, worth £1000 each, to the Tetanus team.
- "We were concerned about Disc-O-Inferno as they had one of the most destructive spinners at that time. Fortunately for us Disc-O-Inferno smashed straight into 'unknown' which damaged unknown and in the process flew off and got wedged in the side of the arena. I think their spinner partly cut into the arena wall and they then couldn't move. So that was two down within the first 5 seconds of the fight. Prior to this, in the pits me and my cousin (about age 12/13 at this point) could tell that Flash Gordon has thin polycarbonate armour. So when chatting to the team we asked them what speed controller they had. They proudly showed off their 2 Vantec speed controllers (£1000 each) Without thinking they showed us exactly where these vital and expensive components were...Tetanus 2 had a narrow piercing crushing spike...so during the fight we just kept the mouth just open enough for him to fit in...and once we got them in the jaws we took some time to possibility the crushed spike directly over his speed controllers then crushed straight through his shell and put a nice big hole in them. They were immobilised and sick that they had shown us. Hahaha"
- — Conrad Snook in 2019, misremembering the name of Bash Gordon and unable to remember the third opponent (edited)
Bash Gordon then qualified for the New Blood Championship in the second series of Extreme through open applications.
In the opening stages of the battle, Bash Gordon avoided the other two machines, but eventually bumped into Pressure. Cedric Slammer then closed in on Bash Gordon and shredded its armour effortlessly, damaging the drive chain inside the robot, leaving Bash Gordon to only go round in circles from then on.
- "We thought the design - untested - might be unreliable"
- — Jonathan Pearce
It then pressed the pit release button, before steadily getting closer to the chasm, spinning around on the edge. It wedged itself onto the pit, and Cedric Slammer stopped attacking Pressure and flayed the shell of Bash Gordon once more before tipping the yellow robot down the pit, eliminating Bash Gordon from the competition.
|BASH GORDON - RESULTS|
|Extreme Series 2|
|New Blood Championship|
Heats, Round 1
|Heat D, Round 1||vs. Cedric Slammer, Pressure||Eliminated|
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 1
|Main Series||Bash Gordon Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Failed to qualify|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
|Robot Wars Extreme||Appearances|
|Series 1||Did not enter|