- "Two front ramming spikes, the parts are from a scrapyard... oh, and flower pot stands from petrol stations!"
- — Jonathan Pearce on Black Widow's weapons and armor
Black Widow was a large box shaped walkerbot that competed in Series 5 of Robot Wars. It was armed with spikes and a large overhead axe from which parts of the main body came from a scrapyard and flowerpot stands from various petrol stations. It was drawn against Hypno-Disc for its only battle. The "web" made out of cotton wool was supposed to get tangled in spinners to stop them working but this had little effect in Black Widow's only battle.
- "Come into my parlour, er, said Hypno-Disc to the spider...went that way did it?"
- — Jonathan Pearce, as the battle gets underway
Black Widow was very sluggish as the much faster Hypno-Disc got up to full spinning speed. The Black Widow wasn't able to fend off attacks as Hypno-Disc, after choosing its angle attacked Black Widow, bouncing off. Hypno-Disc came in again, its disc ripping part of the 'spider's web' strewn across the sides of the Black Widow. Another attack ripped off one of Black Widow's legs, leaving it immobile. Sir Killalot hoisted Black Widow into the air before burning it over a flame vent. He then took Black Widow to the arena floor flipper, where remarkably, Black Widow balanced on top of the flipper. A shove by Shunt positioned it correctly and it was thrown over.
|BLACK WIDOW - RESULTS|
|The Fifth Wars UK Championship|
Heats, Round 1
|Heat B, Round 1||vs. Hypno-Disc (3)||Lost|
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 1
- Series 1-4: Did not enter
- Series 5: Heat, Round 1
- Series 6: Did not enter
- Series 7: Entered with Killerkat
Outside Robot Wars
Black Widow also competed in Techno Games in the sprint race.
- Black Widow is the first robot not to be tossed by the floor flipper on the first attempt, as it balanced on the top of the flipper and was only successfully tossed through the air on the second attempt.
Similarities with Killerkat
Bizarrely, Black Widow's performance was almost identical to the team's second entry, Killerkat.
- Both fought in Heat B of their respective wars
- Both were drawn against the #3 seed (although Terrorhurtz did not fight in the Series 7 battle)
- On both occasions the #3 seed was also from Oxfordshire
- Both lost their fight after being immobilised by a robot with a spinning weapon.
- The fur on the machine was set alight each time and the robot was thrown by the floor flipper.
- Both of their appearances were in the same heat as Kan-Opener, who also went out in the first round on both occasions.