- "The name 'Charybdis' is from greek mythology, some lady that got turned into a deadly whirlpool, or something. We quickly dropped it after realising that no-one could pronounce it."
- — Team Website
Charybdis was a robot that failed to qualify for Series 4 of Robot Wars, entered by University College London. It was a two-wheeled, invertible, roughly-heptagonal shaped machine. It had a similar design to the team's next entry, Fluffy, but had a different weapon and a shorter, wider and taller chassis. It was named after a sea monster from Greek mythology.
It fought two qualifiers, beating Kater Killer, and also fighting Velocirippa. Despite not being chosen for The Fourth Wars, it was selected as a reserve, but unlike fellow reserve V-Max did not get a chance to compete.
It was armed with a spinning disc weapon, but this broke during its second qualifier against Velocirippa, and was replaced with a double headed spinning axe, like the one used on Fluffy, only smaller in case they were needed to fight in Series 4.
- "The producer still thought we were worth a reserve place, so we threw this together in a few days."
- — The Team Website on the spinning axe
After missing out on Series 4, the team stripped the chassis, and designed and built the much more successful Fluffy.
- Series 1-3: Did not enter
- Series 4: Failed to qualify
- Series 5-7: Entered with Fluffy