- "Watch for the spitting venom!"
- — Jonathan Pearce introducing Cobra
Cobra was a heavyweight robot which fought in the seventh series of Robot Wars, where it lost its only battle. It previously attempted to enter Series 5 and 6. The name Cobra is derived from the snake mascot riding the robot.
Cobra was a flat, invertible machine driven by two wheels. It was armed in thick titanium, proving the robot with good defence. It featured a high-pressure pneumatic spike for weaponry, driven by a large ram, that was concealed by a plush serpent's head, but it was only capable of up to six attacks per battle. Its aluminium wheels were covered in golf shoe studs, similar to Wheely Big Cheese. Its less than potent weaponry was noted by many, including Jonathan Pearce and Jayne Middlemiss.
Cobra was entered into the Seventh Wars by a team based in Taunton, Somerset. The team was captained by Julian Brown, who was accompanied by teammate Kevin Stowe. Team Cobra wore black t-shirts brandishing the robot's logo in green.
Though not much is known, Cobra did attempt to qualify for Series 5 and 6 In Series 7, it successfully qualified by winning a battle against an unknown black robot decorated with skull and crossbones.
- "A limited range of offence and an inexperienced team, our snake charm offence will leave this beaten, I think"
- — Jonathan Pearce on Cobra's chances
Kronic the Wedgehog flipped Cobra over, then Cobra rammed Pinser before attacking The Kraken, rather unsuccessfully, appearing to have lost drive on one side almost immediately after it was turned over. It ran into the side wall and appeared to have immobilised itself by bashing against the angle grinders. The Kraken then came in and scraped Cobra's titanium shell with its crusher before Pinser took over from The Kraken and crunched into the aluminium wheel of Cobra, before driving over a spurt of flame and breaking down itself.
- "Cobra, to be honest...has done very, very little throughout this entire bout."
- — Jonathan Pearce on Cobra's lack of mobility
Refbot then counted out Pinser and Cobra together; both were then placed on the floor flipper, flipped, and placed beneath the Drop Zone, where a television was dropped on them. Therefore, Cobra was eliminated from the Seventh Wars in the first round, whilst Kronic the Wedgehog and The Kraken progressed through little input of their own.
- "Pinser guys had to unbolt their beak to separate us at the end of the fight... they had a huge hydraulic ram (it looked 80mm diameter plus! Bigger than some of the pneumatics guys!). Cobra turned out to be a very good shape for them to grab!"
- — Kevin Stowe
|COBRA - RESULTS|
|The Seventh Wars UK Championship|
Heats, Round 1
|Heat J, Eliminator||vs. Kronic the Wedgehog, Pinser, The Kraken||Eliminated|
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 1
|Series||Cobra Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Failed to qualify|
|The Sixth Wars||Failed to qualify|
|The Seventh Wars||Heat, Round 1|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
Outside Robot WarsEdit
Cobra also entered the third series of Techno Games, entering the Assault Course in 2002. Cobra lost in the first round to Hellbound, failing to complete the course after breaking down on one side right at the start, leaving it only able to spin in circles.
- Cobra is one of the few robots to use the same name on both Robot Wars and Techno Games, due to it appearing on Techno Games first.
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20020528091205/http://www.cobra-robot.co.uk:80/
- ↑ Facebook post regarding Cobra's Series 7 qualifier