- "As well as its bulldozer blade, Combat Ant is armed with a 29,000 RPM spinning cutter powered by a model helicoptor motor. Not to be trifled with."
- — Robot Wars Extreme: The Official Guide
Combat Ant (alternately spelt as Combatant and CombatANT) was an antweight robot which competed in the Antweight Championships of both series of Robot Wars Extreme. It won the championship in Extreme 1, but lost in the Extreme 2 Antweight final to Anty B after becoming immobilised.
Peter Waller also entered Millitant into the Extreme 2 Antweight Championship, and attempted to qualify for Series 4 with a heavyweight called Aeolus. However, Aeolus failed to qualify for the latter series.
Combat Ant was an invertible wedge-shaped robot with two wheels that featured sticky rubber tyres for extra grip along the arena floor. Its weapon was a large two-toothed spinning flywheel positioned in the same way as a bludgeoner, which was capable of causing substantial damage to fellow competitors and even throwing them out of the antweight arena, as it did to Pants in Extreme 1. Combat Ant's design remained relatively unchanged between both series of Extreme, with a skull logo on its wedge in Extreme 1, and a smiley face in Extreme 2.
It immediately left its CPZ to pursue Pants across the arena, tearing one of its back panels off with its spinner. Combat Ant drove away onto the Floor Flipper, before hitting Pants twice more, flipping it over and out of the arena in the process. It then proceeded to attack Razzler, but without causing any damage, before driving over the Floor Flipper again, causing the Flipper to fire and Anty B to fall into the mechanism underneath it. While flipped over, Combat Ant recovered to rip one of Anto’s wheels off, immobilising it while simultaneously damaging Anto's rear armour and pushing it into a CPZ. Next, it pushed Little Nipper as the latter pinned Razzler against the wall, before the three robots nudged each other as Combat Ant again pushed and attacked Razzler with the spinner. While Little Nipper pushed Razzler into the pit, Combat Ant began attacking the mobile half of Legion, eventually tearing its flipping arm off and throwing it across the arena. Combat Ant, Little Nipper and the remaining half of Legion finished the battle by fighting each other, with Combat Ant being pushed back before driving over the still-open Floor Flipper. 'Cease' was called, and the Antweight Melee went to a Judges' decision which ruled that Combat Ant was the inaugural Antweight Champion.
It approached Chroma as the latter turned Mesmer 2 onto its side, flicking Chroma over twice with its spinner. Combat Ant and Anty B jointly pushed Chroma onto the Floor Flipper, before Combat Ant was pushed into the pit by Anty Geddon and Chroma.
- "Now watch for Combat Ant... flipped out of the pit, from Hades to heaven... in one move. I wish it was as easy as that."
- — Jonathan Pearce as Combat Ant is released from the pit
With its wheels still on the edge, Combat Ant was pushed out of the pit through a shove from Hades, and threw itself into a CPZ after clipping the pit release button. There, it momentarily became stranded on its side and the wall, but was freed after a nudge from the ensemble of Anty B, Anty Geddon and Chroma. Combat Ant proceeded to destroy Anty Geddon despite losing drive to one side, before being pushed around, lifted and sent spinning upon contact with Anty B. It was eventually pushed into the pit a second time by Anty B, but progressed to the Final anyway along with the latter.
At the start, Combat Ant was lifted into Lower by Anty B, the collision causing it to recoil and spin across the arena. Combat Ant recovered to try and attack Lower from head-on, but Lower pinched one of its wheels with its crusher, and Combat Ant recoiled into the wall while trying to escape. This allowed Lower and Pants to pin it against the wall, before Combat Ant clipped Pants, sending both robots flying across the arena on impact. Ending up near the closed pit, Combat Ant proceeded to attack Lower again, but was deflected into the wall after hitting Anty B's scoop, the impact immobilising Combat Ant instantly as Lower and Pants attacked it one more time.
- "Are the wheels moving on Combat Ant? I think they're first to go - they've gone! They're out, Combat Ant, the reigning champion is out, I think, immobilised!"
- — Jonathan Pearce notices Combat Ant's loss of mobility
Despite Combat Ant still using the gyroscopic forces of its spinner to crawl towards an arena wall, it ultimately lost the Final – and relinquished the Antweight Championship – to Anty B.
|COMBAT ANT - RESULTS|
|Extreme Series 1|
|Antweight Championship||vs. Anto, Anty B, Legion, Little Nipper, Pants, Razzler||Won|
|Extreme Series 2|
|Round 1||vs. Anty B, Anty Geddon, Chroma, Hades, Mesmer 2||Qualified|
|Final||vs. Anty B, Lower, Pants||Lost|
- Wins: 2
- Losses: 1
|Main Series||Combat Ant Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Failed to qualify with Aeolus|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
|Robot Wars Extreme||Appearances|
|Series 1||Antweight Champion|
|Series 2|| Antweight Final|
Entered with Millitant
Outside Robot WarsEdit
In addition to its appearances on Robot Wars Extreme, Combat Ant also enjoyed considerable success in non-televised antweight competitions, especially in the Antweight World Series. Among its successes, it won AWS 3 and AWS 5, also winning two Team battles and the Tag Team event in the former alongside Little Nipper, and finished joint-third in AWS 4 and AWS 6. Combat Ant also competed at the 2001 Robots@War event, where it won another antweight championship. Combat Ant underwent numerous rebuilds after its appearance on Robot Wars, shortening its name simply to Combatant, with its rebuilds pictured to the right.
As of 2019, Peter Waller still competes at live events in the antweight, fleaweight and nanoweight categories, with considerable success. His most recent robots include:
- Anticyclone, an undercutter spinner;
- Flippant, a wedge-shaped flipper/grabber;
- Variant, an invertible robot with interchangeable weapon modules;
- Dominant, an invertible tracked robot with two static scoops at either end;
- Deflea, a fleaweight version of Dominant;
- Defiant, another tracked robot, this time with a lifting scoop;
- Mutant, the name given to two separate antweights; a two-wheeled ring spinner, and a walkerbot with a vertical bar spinner.
- Combat Ant faced Anty B in all three of its antweight battles.
- Combat Ant was the first robot of any type to throw another out of the arena using a spinning weapon, doing so to Pants in Extreme 1.
|Only non-heavyweight robot to throw another robot out of the arena|
- ↑ http://robotwars101.org/events/event_results.php?eventid=3
- ↑ http://www.antweight.co.uk/winners.htm
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20031212180033/http://robotsatwar.com/