Conquering Clown (also sometimes referred to as Killer Clown) was an American competitor robot that fought in both seasons of Robot Wars: Extreme Warriors. In Season 1, it was forced to withdraw from the US Championship due to technical problems, but reached the third round of the Annihilator before becoming immobilized and being pushed onto the Flame Pit by Drillzilla. As Conquering Clown 2, it reached the Grand Final of the Season 2 US Championship by winning its Heat Final against Unibite 2.0, before losing to Destructive Criticism on a judges' decision.
Despite its solid performance in Season 2, Conquering Clown was known for its comical appearance, and was often described as a 'comedy entrant' by Stefan Frank. The Silvis Robotics team emphasized this by wearing rainbow tie-dye shirts and afro wigs throughout their appearances.
Versions of Conquering Clown[edit | edit source]
Conquering Clown[edit | edit source]
Conquering Clown was a low wedged box-shaped robot with two outside wheels and a tall body section with the head and arms of a clown. The robot was painted blue, yellow and red to resemble a clown suit, and also had hammers on each of its arms as well as a pair of rear-mounted circular saws as its main weapons, though it mostly used its wedge front for pushing opponents. Conquering Clown's 'head' bobbled around as the robot moved, and was topped with a rainbow afro wig that was flammable and often caught fire during its appearances in both seasons of Extreme Warriors.
Conquering Clown 2[edit | edit source]
Conquering Clown 2 featured a redesigned chassis with enclosed wheelguards and a new top body with narrower arms and the ability to change the angle that it was positioned, although it kept the clown's head and rainbow afro. The robot was powered by two 24 volt wheelchair motors. Its hammers and saws were also discarded, with a red lawnmower blade being added to the front wedge. The blade itself was made from solid steel and could reportedly spin at up to 10,000rpm, which would make it the fastest spinning weapon in Robot Wars if true.
- "It started out as a car starter, and now it's a robot stopper!"
- — Silvis Robotics explains Conquering Clown 2's spinning blade to Carol Grow
However, the blade did get bent during some of Conquering Clown 2's battles, and the robot's statistics board listed "Durability of weapon" as its weakness.
The team jokingly stated that Conquering Clown 2's 'secret weapon' was a little plastic butterfly attached to the body, which they claimed would 'bug' fellow competitors when they faced it in the arena.
From its Season 2 Heat Final onward, the clown head was replaced with an 'Iron Mask', as the team did not have a spare head with them to replace the head that was destroyed by Sgt. Bash during its battle against Black Widow.
Despite its decidedly comical appearance and flammable head, as well as its fragile weapon and body, Conquering Clown 2 was notable for its manoeuvrability, durability and pushing power, which directly contributed towards its run to the Grand Final.
The Team[edit | edit source]
Conquering Clown was entered by Silvis Robotics, a team from Silvis in Illinois. In keeping with the robot's clown theme, the team wore rainbow tie-dye shirts and afro wigs throughout their appearances, and carried a clown horn with them that could always be heard whenever they were onscreen. The team often clashed with Extreme Warriors host Mick Foley, due to the ex-pro wrestler's professed phobia of clowns.
- "'Conquering Clown' was another 'fragilebot', with a team that wandered thru [sic] the pits in full clown regalia honking bicycle horns. I suspect that they were just trying to get into the spirit, but they didn't make any friends amongst the underslept Roboteers."
- — Mark Joerger on Conquering Clown
Robot History[edit | edit source]
Season 1[edit | edit source]
- Mike Flanagan: "This clown ain't happy, he's got hammers and he's got saws! And we're out here to win!"
- Rebecca Grant: "All right, watch out for that Killer Clown!"
- — Interview with Rebecca Grant for the US Championship
Conquering Clown was initially scheduled to enter the US Championship, where it was due to fight in Heat 3 against Mad Cow, Close Enough, Rippa Raptor, Manta, and Rosie The Riveter. However, last-minute technical difficulties forced it to forfeit its place to Tiger Cat.
- "Well then, a last-minute upset. The Conquering Clown decided they had a bad hair day, and have been replaced by Tiger Cat."
- — Stefan Frank announces Conquering Clown's withdrawal
- "They're no laughing matter!"
- — Rebecca Grant on Conquering Clown
At the start of the first round, Conquering Clown drove at Unibite, which charged at its front, whist Drillzilla got behind Conquering Clown. The two robots pinned Conquering Clown, before Drillzilla pushed Conquering Clown past Unibite and up the arena, before Conquering Clown turned away.
- "Drillzilla lays into the clown like there's no tomorrow."
- — Stefan Frank as Drillzilla pushed Drillzilla
Drillzilla reversed for another attack, and drove into Conquering Clown as it tried to drive past. Conquering Clown tried to turn away, but it was blocked by Rippa Raptor, which was being pushed by Red Virus. This allowed Drillzilla to get behind Conquering Clown and push it against Rippa Raptor, getting underneath Conquering Clown. Drillzilla tried to force Conquering Clown onto a flame jet, but pushed it into Red Virus as it did so, causing Conquering Clown to get off Drillzilla. However, before it could get away, Drillzilla drove at its front and pushed it back, into Skullmania. Skullmania reversed and Drillzilla continued pushing Conquering Clown up the arena. Conquering Clown tried to turn away, but Drillzilla kept pushing. Soon, the other robots got close to Conquering Clown as they fought together, but despite a push from Red Virus, Conquering Clown could not get away. Drillzilla pushed it into Unibite, then down the arena close to the pit release button. Rippa Raptor attacked it there, before Drillzilla pushed it away. Conquering Clown turned around and got under Rippa Raptor, pushing it into Red Virus. Drillzilla got behind Conquering Clown and pushed it away from Rippa Raptor, onto a flame pit.
- "...every bot wants a piece of that clown! The clown shouldn't get to near to the flame pit with that hair-do, or is that a "hair-don't"?"
- — Stefan Frank as Drillzilla pushes Conquering Clown to the flame pit
However, the clown did not catch light, and Conquering Clown quickly got away. Conquering Clown got to the other side of the arena, but soon found itself trapped between Rippa Raptor and Drillzilla, before Drillzilla pushed it against Unibite. Conquering Clown got away as Unibite turned its attention to Rippa Raptor, and it drove into Red Virus, which pushed it back with its lifter before turning away, so Conquering Clown drove into Drillzilla, which had been pushing Red Virus. Meanwhile, Skullmania was counted out by Refbot, having had its tires severed from its axles by Unibite.
- Rebecca Grant: "How did it go out there?"
- David Manary: "Oh, it went pretty good really. We lost the top part of it, but the bottom part of it ran real good."
- Rebecca Grant: "Yeah, but it looked like you really didn't suffer much damage, however you really didn't do a whole lot out there. I mean, Drillzilla took a huge bite out of you."
- David Manary: "I know, I think they were trying to gang up on us though, they don't like clowns, I don't think!"
- Rebecca Grant: "I know, I think everybody's got a thing for it, I'd watch out for the next heat."
- David Manary: "Right, but we'll be ready!"
- — Interview before Round 2
Conquering Clown was through to the second round. Before the battle had started, Conquering Clown's hammers had been covered in gloves, and as it entered the arena, it appeared to be moving in bits and starts.
- "A lot of people thought the clown never had a chance in robot hell of surviving, but nobody told them!"
- — Stefan Frank
Despite this, Conquering Clown started quickly, driving under Red Virus and pushing it towards the arena wall. Red Virus was slammed into Unibite by Conquering Clown, but this allowed Red Virus get off the wedge. Drillzilla got behind Conquering Clown and pushed it. As Conquering Clown was being pushed, Red Virus charged at it, ramming it with its lifter. This allowed Conquering Clown to escape from Drillzilla, and it drove away from the others and turned around. Red Virus charged at it again, and when it slammed into Conquering Clown, its wig fell off.
- "Red Virus decided the clown's rainbow 'fro, had to go!"
- — Stefan Frank as the wig falls off Conquering Clown
Red Virus tried to push Conquering Clown, but could not gain an advantage, and Conquering Clown got under it and pushed it up the arena, straight into Refbot. Unibite got behind Conquering Clown, hitting the rear with the disc. Conquering Clown tried to turn away, but it was stuck on Red Virus' lifter, and Drillzilla blocked it. Conquering Clown managed to turn away from Red Virus as Drillzilla reversed, and got under Rippa Raptor. Conquering Clown tried to push Rippa Raptor, and despite being pushed by Red Virus, Conquering Clown managed to push Rippa Raptor against an angle grinder.
- "The clown, a tenacious warrior, don't know what kind of strategy he's been using, because he's just been giving as good as he gets!"
- — Stefan Frank as Conquering Clown pins Rippa Raptor against the wall
Conquering Clown managed to pin it there for a short time, until it was rammed from behind by Drillzilla. Conquering Clown reversed a little, giving Rippa Raptor a chance to escape, despite Conquering Clown's attempts to block it. Conquering Clown chased after Rippa Raptor, and soon got under it again. Meanwhile, Unibite was pushed onto the flame pit by Drillzilla, where it broke down. Whilst Refbot counted it out, Conquering Clown pushed Red Virus.
Conquering Clown went through to Round 3.
- Rebecca Grant: "Down here in the pits with Conquering Clown, who is definitely still smiling. You guys just are the dominant force out there, you're still alive!"
- David Manary: "Yeah, we might have lost our hammers, but we're still ready to knock their blocks off!"
- — Interview before Round 3
Conquering Clown started by driving at Red Virus, whilst Drillzilla got behind it. Conquering Clown got under Red Virus, but Red Virus turned off the wedge, and Drillzilla pushed Conquering Clown. Conquering Clown drove forwards and tried to get under Red Virus again, but Drillzilla kept after it. Red Virus tried to get away, but Conquering Clown kept right beside it until Red Virus turned away. Before Conquering Clown could chase after it, Drillzilla got behind Conquering Clown again and pushed it towards the flame pit. Conquering Clown turned around to face Drillzilla, and actually managed to get under Drillzilla and slam it into the bottom arena wall.
- "But stop the press! The Clown drives Drillzilla right into the wall! It's pushing twice its own weight, making Drillzilla look like a little bit of a fly now!"
- — Stefan Frank
Drillzilla tried pushing back, but Conquering Clown rammed it into the wall again. Conquering Clown reversed and turned away, allowing Drillzilla to get away. After driving at Rippa Raptor, Drillzilla charged at the side of Conquering Clown, but drove slightly up the wedge, allowing Conquering Clown to push it up the arena, but then Rippa Raptor drove into the two of them. This allowed Drillzilla to reverse off the wedge, and it got at the side of Conquering Clown and pushed it towards a CPZ at the bottom of the arena. However, Conquering Clown managed to turn away before it could be pushed into Shunt. Rippa Raptor drove at Conquering Clown, but Conquering Clown got under it and Rippa Raptor turned away. Drillzilla drove at Conquering Clown, pushing it back a little before Conquering Clown turned away. Conquering Clown pushed against the side of Red Virus as it pushed Rippa Raptor, but Drillzilla got behind Conquering Clown and pushed it, allowing Red Virus to escape. Drillzilla rammed Conquering Clown down the arena to the bottom arena wall. Conquering Clown turned away, with Drillzilla following close behind it. Drillzilla soon caught up, and pushed Conquering Clown into a CPZ at the top of the arena. Shunt came in and pinned Conquering Clown against the arena wall, axing the wedge as it pushed it out. Conquering Clown drove into the side of Rippa Raptor, but could not get under and Drillzilla drove at it again. Conquering Clown drove away, but then stopped, and Drillzilla rammed it into the arena wall.
- "Drillzilla, perfectly designed to slot in right behind the clown. Clown doesn't care, he's working the audience!"
- — Stefan Frank
After another slam from Drillzilla, Conquering Clown reversed away from the side wall, straight into the side of Red Virus, and Drillzilla got at the side of Conquering Clown again. Red Virus turned away and Drillzilla reversed, and Conquering Clown appeared to be limping. Drillzilla pushed Conquering Clown into Rippa Raptor, and Conquering Clown appeared to stop. Drillzilla pushed Conquering Clown onto the flame pit, and the head completely burned in the flames.
- "Well, every party needs some clown to do the barbecue!"
- — Stefan Frank
Refbot came in to count Conquering Clown out, and as the counter hit 10, Shunt axed Conquering Clown. Refbot extinguished the flames, and Conquering Clown was eliminated in fourth place.
- Mick Foley: "I gotta be honest with you, people in general hate clowns! Do you think that had something to do with the fact you were obviously being ganged up on?"
- David Manary: "I think they all had a bad childhood!"
- Mick Foley: "I think you guys may have had a bad childhood, and not a very good adulthood by the looks of things!"
- — Post-battle interview with Mick Foley
Season 2[edit | edit source]
- "He burned up real good last time, this year he's coming back with a steel blade, and payback in his mind."
- — Stefan Frank introduces Conquering Clown 2
Conquering Clown 2 started slowly, turning away after a pause as Sir Force A Lot drove at it. Sir Force A Lot rammed into the side of Conquering Clown 2 as it tried to turn away, but Conquering Clown 2 turned and hit the front of Sir Forced A Lot with its lawnmower blade, ripping off part of the side as it drove past.
- "Conquering Clown's got a lot to prove this time. It's got that new spinning blade, let's see if it OH! He does get some action with it! Takes out a side panel of Sir Force A Lot."
- — Stefan Frank as Conquering Clown 2 rips the side of Sir Force A Lot
Sir Force A Lot rammed into Conquering Clown 2 again, but as it reversed for another charge, Brute drove in between the two. Sir Force A Lot drove around Conquering Clown 2, which turned around to try and use its blade, but Brute drove into its side. Conquering Clown 2 drove down the arena, and Sir Force A Lot sped after it, slamming into it with an impact that sent Conquering Clown 2 spinning. Conquering Clown 2 drove up the arena to escape, only for Sir Force A Lot to follow, hitting its front with the spinning blades, lifting Conquering Clown 2 upwards.
- "The Clown is getting a beating out there, as usual, that steel prop of theirs is getting bent up like some weird pitch on a helicopter."
- — Stefan Frank
Conquering Clown 2 faced Sir Force A Lot, trying to get its blade up to full speed, but Sir Force A Lot rammed into the front of Conquering Clown 2, stopping the blade. Conquering Clown 2 turned away and, after driving into Shunt, who was out of his CPZ, drove to the other side of the arena to avoid its opponents. Whilst Brute fought Sir Force A Lot, Conquering Clown 2 came back into the battle, driving into the front of Sir Force A Lot and trying to get under Brute. Brute turned away and continued ramming Sir Force A Lot, whilst Conquering Clown 2 held back, its blade no longer working. Brute opened the pit, and Conquering Clown 2 pushed Sir Force A Lot into the CPZ, pinning it against the wall.
- "...and that's a good piece of strategy on the Conquering Clown's part, to let the House 'bots do all the work."
- — Stefan Frank as Shunt comes in to attack Sir Force A Lot
Shunt came in, and Conquering Clown 2 escaped the CPZ as Shunt pinned Sir Force A Lot against the wall and axed it. Sir Force A Lot escaped the CPZ, but reversed straight into Refbot, and Conquering Clown 2 took advantage, pushing it back into the CPZ as time ran out. Conquering Clown 2 went through to the second round on a judges' decision along with Brute.
- "I'd gotta be honest here, I don't like clowns, they scare me, I don't feel safe when you guys are around, and I wish these guys [the Sir Force A Lot team] were still in the tournament instead of you, but nonetheless, you did a good job out there."
- — Mick Foley to Silvis Robotics after the battle
There, Conquering Clown 2 faced Black Widow for a place in the Heat Final. Before the battle, the Silvis Robotics team revealed their "secret weapon", a fake can of spider spray.
- "Well, you know what, as long as you don't go up in smoke, I think you'll be just fine!"
- — Carol Grow's ironic prediction just before Conquering Clown 2's battle with Black Widow
Conquering Clown 2 started by driving down the arena as Black Widow drove at it, before turning around as Black Widow caught up with it. Black Widow overturned when it did catch up, but Conquering Clown 2 was unable to do any damage with its blade because it was not up to speed. Both robots turned away for another attack, and Black Widow drove straight into the lawnmower blade, sending sparks flying. The lawnmower blade became stuck in Black Widow's wheel, sticking the two robots together.
- "The Clown, with that spinning blade, a real one-hit wonder, at least in the last round, put it out of commission after the first contact, Black Widow did not take too much damage from that blade..."
- — Stefan Frank as the blade becomes stuck in Black Widow's wheel
Black Widow managed to push Conquering Clown 2 back a little, but Conquering Clown 2 then managed to push harder, forcing Black Widow towards Sir Killalot, who pushed the two competitors apart. Conquering Clown 2 got under Black Widow and forced it into the bottom arena wall, but then Sgt. Bash got behind it and fired its flamethrower. Conquering Clown 2 did not catch light, and tried to push its opponent into the CPZ. Black Widow reversed off the front of Conquering Clown, into the bottom corner, and Conquering Clown 2 tried to pin it there. However, Black Widow dodged it, and Conquering Clown 2 drove into the corner, allowing Black Widow to push it against the wall. As Conquering Clown 2 tried to escape, Sgt. Bash blocked it, and set fire to the clown head.
- "The Conquering Clown has been conquered, but not by who you thought! Black Widow was just an innocent bystander, as Bash came in there and torched him."
- — Stefan Frank after Conquering Clown 2's head is torched
Black Widow pushed Conquering Clown 2 across the arena, and Conquering Clown 2 responded by ramming Black Widow into the Disc of Doom button. This pushed Black Widow over the front of Conquering Clown 2, but it could not away as it reversed into an angle grinder, and Conquering Clown 2 pushed it into the bottom arena wall. However, Conquering Clown 2 was then slammed side-on by Sgt. Bash, allowing Black Widow to escape, before Sir Killalot grabbed and lifted it by the lawnmower blade. Conquering Clown 2 sped away once Sir Killalot let go of it, with the wig falling in the process. Conquering Clown chased after Black Widow, which had flipped itself over by driving into Sir Killalot whilst escaping. Conquering Clown 2 drove into Refbot as it chased Black Widow.
- "There's nothing but a shrunken head left on the top of that Conquering Clown, but he's still got enough power to do a little fighting, as he backs into Refbot, seems like he's got no sense of direction whatsoever..."
- — Stefan Frank
Conquering Clown 2 nearly caught up with Black Widow when it was by the flame pit, but Black Widow quickly got away, driving to the top of the arena. Conquering Clown 2 drove after it, and Black Widow drove into Sgt. Bash, then drove up the front of Conquering Clown, rolling over the side, righting itself in the process. Conquering Clown 2 was blocked by Sgt. Bash, allowing Black Widow to reverse down the arena. Conquering Clown 2 drove after it and got under its front, and tried to push it towards the flame pit, but Black Widow was able to turn, changing Conquering Clown 2's direction of push.
- "Conquering Clown's been on the offence all through this thing, as it pushes Black Widow into the spinning disc, and Tonya Bigham has certainly met her match this time, for Black Widow."
- — Stefan Frank in the last few seconds
Conquering Clown 2 pushed Black Widow onto the disc of doom, which allowed Black Widow to get off it just before time ran out. The battle went to a judges' decision, which went unanimously in favor of Conquering Clown 2.
- "Now guys, I've mentioned on occasion that I'm scared of you. I told someone backstage that I hated your guts, but I'll be honest. Until that clown caught on fire, I never realised just how much I cared about the Conquering Clowns."
- — Mick Foley
In the Heat Final, Conquering Clown 2 faced Unibite 2.0, fitted with its 'Iron Mask' after the team did not have a spare head to replace the one burnt by Sgt. Bash.
- Mick Foley: "How do you feel your chances are with Unibite in the Finals?"
- David Manary: "I think we'll do alright, we've got a new blade, and we'll get that head fixed, and I think we're ready to go."
- — Post-Round 2 interview
Conquering Clown 2 started by avoiding Unibite 2.0, driving down the arena as Unibite 2.0 drove towards it. As Unibite 2.0 closed in, Conquering Clown 2 turned, first driving up the arena, but then turning again and driving down as Unibite 2.0 got close. Conquering Clown 2 span, and although Unibite 2.0 managed to land a blow on one of its wheel guards, the disc bounced off on impact, and Conquering Clown managed to get under Unibite 2.0. Conquering Clown 2 pushed Unibite 2.0 back a little, then turned away. For a while, the two robots carefully turned around each other, each trying to use their weapon whilst avoiding the others. Conquering Clown 2 was the first to get a blow in, hitting the side of Unibite 2.0 with its lawnmower blade, but despite causing sparks, did not cause any notable damage. However, Conquering Clown 2 exposed its side as it turned away for another attack, allowing Unibite 2.0 to hit its side, landing a blow on its right-hand wheel.
- "Wow, if either one of these blades connect with each other, that's gonna be quite a force!"
- — Stefan Frank as the two robots hit each other with their spinners
This appeared to immobilize Conquering Clown 2 on one side, with the wheelguard being buckled inwards and causing the right-hand wheel to lock up. As Conquering Clown 2 span around, Unibite 2.0 continued to land blows with its disc. However, Conquering Clown 2 managed to turn, getting its wedge under the disc of Unibite 2.0, stopping it. Conquering Clown 2 tried to use its blade on Unibite 2.0 whilst it was under the disc, but it did no damage.
- "Unibite has has a much stronger chassis, and that blade on Conquering Clown is doing nothing."
- — Stefan Frank
Unibite 2.0 suddenly lost mobility completely, and was counted out by Refbot before being thrown by the Floor Flipper and being placed on the Drop Zone. This allowed Conquering Clown 2 to emerge as the surprise winner of Heat C, and secure its place in the Grand Final.
- "Congratulations, I know the ground rules before, for us to be together, was no hugs and no horns, but seeing as you are today's champion, don't get me wrong, no hugging! Hugs are still out, but you can blow your ... stupid horns a little bit!"
- — Mick Foley to the team after the battle
In the Grand Final, Conquering Clown faced Destructive Criticism in the first round.
- Carol Grow: "Congratulations on getting this far, it's been a struggle, your machine has taken a beating!"
- David Manary: "Yes it has, but we've had a repair crew on it, we've been doing real good and we've got it back in perfect operating shape."
- Carol Grow: "Do you have a strategy going in?"
- David Manary: "I don't think we'll have a problem with these guys, we've got the big blade, we've got the butterfly, send these guys back to boot camp!"
- — Pre-battle interview
Both robots began tentatively, Destructive Criticism slowly approaching its opponent, then reversing and turning away as Conquering Clown 2 tried to use its lawnmower blade. Conquering Clown 2 hit the side of Destructive Criticism, but caused no damage.
- "...but that blade on the front of Conquering Clown can do some damage, and something's been knocked off already, err looks the Clown though, unfortunately."
- — Stefan Frank as Conquering Clown 2 tries to use its blade
Destructive Criticism turned around as Conquering Clown 2 pushed it with its wedge. Destructive Criticism was able to stop Conquering Clown 2's blade from spinning by driving into it a few times, either before it started or before it could get up to speed. Conquering Clown 2 kept pushing Destructive Criticism, but Destructive Criticism managed to get away from its opponent, get its disc up to speed, and rammed into Conquering Clown 2, ripping a hole in the clown's body.
- "In fact, these first two battles have been very militaristic, except I have no idea what army the Clown belongs to."
- — Stefan Frank summarizes the first rounds of the Grand Final as Conquering Clown 2 and Destructive Criticism fight each other
Destructive Criticism quickly got off the wedge of Conquering Clown 2, and after a brief period of the two robots spinning around each other, each trying to get in a good position to use their weapon, Destructive Criticism landed a glancing blow on the rear of Conquering Clown 2. Conquering Clown 2 turned around and tried to get under Destructive Criticism, and despite its opponent struggling, soon got the wedge underneath and pushed Destructive Criticism up the arena, though it wasn't long before Destructive Criticism turned itself off the wedge. Destructive Criticism charged at Conquering Clown 2, but Conquering Clown 2 turned away. Conquering Clown 2 avoided Destructive Criticism and turned around, and although Destructive Criticism landed a blow on the side of its opponent, it merely glanced off. Conquering Clown 2 tried to get away, but drove onto the flame pit. It quickly reversed off, but in doing so exposed its rear to Destructive Criticism. This allowed Destructive Criticism to hit it with the disc, cutting a large gash.
- "Look at the gash through that 3-quarter inch, steel galvanised frame."
- — Stefan Frank notes the damage
Conquering Clown 2 turned around, but Destructive Criticism slammed into it, causing one of its pom poms to fall off. Conquering Clown 2 started spinning on the flame pit, where its head caught fire.
- "I wonder if sympathy was a strategy for the Conquering Clown team, because they're certainly going to be getting it right now! That starter motor blade of the Clown hasn't done too much damage either"
- — Stefan Frank as Conquering Clown 2 burns
Although Conquering Clown 2 got off the flame pit, its movement had slowed and Destructive Criticism slammed into it again, before Conquering Clown 2, which appeared to only be moving on one wheel, turned straight into Sir Killalot. Sir Killalot pushed it into the CPZ, then over a CO2 jet just as 'cease' was called. The judges were called to make a decision, which went against Conquering Clown 2, eliminating it from the US Championship.
- Mick Foley: "Guys, you did a tremendous job, we can't take that away from you, you had a lot of fun, you did well, did you think you won the decision?"
- David Manary: "Err, it was debatable."
- Mick Foley: "Debatable? Even though the Clown's head went up in flames?"
- David Manary: "Err, I thought we had a chance."
- Mick Foley: "Even though they bullied you and pushed you around the entire battle?"
- David Manary: "Err, I thought we was going to win"
- Mick Foley: "Okay, well you didn't. [Honks horn in his face]"
- — Post-battle interview
After the battle, the team revealed to Carol Grow that Destructive Criticism had knocked a wheel loose, broke the weapon and scrunched up one of the tires. The butterfly decoration had also been burnt.
Results[edit | edit source]
|CONQUERING CLOWN - RESULTS|
|Round 1||vs. Drillzilla, Red Virus, Rippa Raptor, Skullmania, Unibite||Qualified|
|Round 2||vs. Drillzilla, Red Virus, Rippa Raptor, Unibite||Qualified|
|Round 3||vs. Drillzilla, Red Virus, Rippa Raptor||Eliminated|
Withdrew before Heats
|Heat 3||vs. Mad Cow, Close Enough, Rippa Raptor, Manta, Rosie The Riveter||Withdrew|
|NOTE: Irreparable technical difficulties forced Conquering Clown to drop out. It was replaced in this bout by Tiger Cat.|
|CONQUERING CLOWN 2 - RESULTS|
Grand Final, Round 1
|Heat C, Round 1||vs. Brute, Sir Force A Lot||Qualified|
|Heat C, Round 2||vs. Black Widow||Won|
|Heat C, Final||vs. Unibite 2.0||Won|
|Grand Final, Round 1||vs. Destructive Criticism||Lost|
Wins/Losses[edit | edit source]
- Wins: 5
- Losses: 2
NOTE: Conquering Clown's withdrawal from the US Championship in Season 1 is not included in the tally
Series Record[edit | edit source]
|US Series||Conquering Clown Series Record|
|Season 1||Withdrew from US Championship|
Annihilator, Fourth Place
|Season 2||Grand Final, Round 1|
|Nickelodeon||Did not enter|
Outside Robot Wars[edit | edit source]
The original Conquering Clown also competed in BattleBots under the name Garry Gizzmo. It had a different figure on top of the robot and entered solely in BattleBots Season 3.0, beating Velocity 1 then losing to the clusterbot Pack Raptors.
After both Battlebots and Robot Wars ended Conquering Clown was briefly renamed and slightly modified as Scooter The Clown for BattleBeach 1 in 2003 where it had some success winning 3 fights and losing two. Later in the year it would go back to the name Conquering Clown for Mechwars 6 but with no success after getting damaged beyond repair by Tornado Mer. A new Conquering Clown was built to compete in both the RFL Triangle Series Nationals and Mechwars 7 with a completely new redesigned Conquering Clown complete with a heavier more powerful weapon, it had mixed success finishing with a 4-3 career record.
After this Conquering Clown was lightened drastically to become the Middleweight known as Anorexic Clown which competed from 2004-2005 with varying success ending with a 5-6 career record and coming in joint 5th place at Rocket City Robot Assault.
References[edit | edit source]
- http://members.toast.net/joerger/RW2001.html Run Amok Robot Wars Journal
See Also[edit | edit source]