- "Everyone's in for the chop when they come across Crippler."
- — Philippa Forrester
In the next series, the team entered with the equally unsuccessful The Predator.
Design[edit | edit source]
- "A heavy slow track driven bot. The tracks made from dual industrial chains and door hinges, driven by an old conveyor belt. The executioner's axe is razor sharp, but are Crippler's reactions?"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Crippler was a steel robot figure designed to look like a samurai with an overhead "executioner's" axe. It was one of the tallest robots in Series 3, and could swing its axe overhead, effective at the front and back of the machine. Crippler had additional weapons, including a rear ramp and a scoop on the front. Crippler ran on tracks that were fashioned from an old conveyor belt and industrial chains. Crippler's height came at the cost of the robot being top-heavy, and it cannot self-right.
At the front of the robot was a message that read "Have a nice day". It also had another message that read "A-so".
The Team[edit | edit source]
Crippler was entered by a Manchester-based team captained by the machine's lead builder, Barry Willetts. He was joined by his nephews Christopher and Steven Willetts. The team returned for the Fourth Wars with The Predator.
Robot History[edit | edit source]
Series 3[edit | edit source]
Crippler competed in Heat N, where it faced All Torque in the first round.
- "The executioner's axe is razor sharp, but are Crippler's reactions?"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Crippler was slammed by All Torque at the start, before being pushed into the arena wall. Crippler slowly brought down its axe down on All Torque, but caused no damage. Crippler was outclassed in power, and was pushed around, landing only one more feeble hit while All Torque bent the front wedge of Crippler and knocked off a loose piece. After only twenty-nine seconds of battling, a great shove from All Torque forced Crippler straight into the pit, and Crippler was eliminated in the first round.
- "Crippler in the pit. All Torque lives to fight another day."
- — Craig Charles
Results[edit | edit source]
|CRIPPLER - RESULTS|
|The Third Wars - UK Championship|
Heat, Round 1
|Heat N, Round 1||vs. All Torque||Lost|
Wins/Losses[edit | edit source]
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 1
Series Record[edit | edit source]
|Series||Crippler Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Heat, Round 1|
|The Fourth Wars||Entered with The Predator|
|The Fifth Wars||Failed to qualify with The Predator|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Like its successor The Predator, Crippler appeared in the same heat as Cerberus.
- In both of those heats, Team Predator fought in the first battle and Cerberus fought in the battle after them.