- "If they have time to spin that disc up in the arena, this could be a very destructive robot indeed!"
- — Jonathan Pearce in Series 8
DisConstructor was a heavyweight robot which competed in the seventh and eighth series of Robot Wars. Despite having a potent horizontal flywheel, it failed to progress beyond the first round in either of its appearances, ending up in the pit in both series it competed in.
The team had previously failed to qualify for Series 5 with Demolition Doris, and for Series 9 with a new design.
- "It has a powerful spinning disc made from both stainless steel and titanium. The disc has been reinforced with teeth to tear apart its opponent, and weighs 20kg. It runs at 2500rpm, making it one of the most powerful spinners in the competition."
- — The Robot Wars website on DisConstructor
DisConstructor was a grey box-shaped robot, which was invertible thanks to its large two-wheel drive. It was armed with a spinning disc, angled towards the arena floor to strike robots from above, although this meant that the disc would spin upwards if the robot was inverted. The 20kg disc could spin at about 2500rpm, and was made from titanium with stainless steel teeth, powered by LYNCH motors. The robot's armour was made of 6mm of 5 Grade titanium. DisConstructor had a high ground clearance and lacked driving experience, which was clearly shown in its battles in the main competition.
- "The high ground clearance of this robot makes it susceptible to flipper opponents. However, its stainless steel and titanium spinning disc features teeth designed to inflict maximum damage."
- — Robot Wars: Build Your Own Robot
- "DisConstructor has been built by father, Mike, and his three children James, Laurie and Albert."
- — The Robot Wars website
Team DisConstructor were a family team, captained by Mike Phillipson, the designer and builder of DisConstructor, also driving the robot in Series 7. At the time of Series 8, Mike Phillipson was aged 54, and was a project manager by trade. Sons James and Laurie Phillipson were youths at the time of Series 7, but were aged 24 and 23 respectively in Series 8, the former being listed as one of the team's engineers on the Robot Wars website, and the latter being listed as the tactician. The youngest son Albert Phillipson was only present in Series 8, aged 21, but became the driver of DisConstructor for this series.
DisConstructor fought a very impressive qualifier for Series 7 against Cayenne. DisConstructor hit Cayenne and destroyed its message board, before its disc caused the jaws to bend into the frame of Cayenne. Cease was called, and DisConstructor advanced through to Series 7. Due to the severity of DisConstructor's damage, Cayenne had to decline a discretionary place in the series.
In Series 8, the qualification format was changed to online applications, and DisConstructor successfully qualified for the series in this way.
Team DisConstructor created a CAD for a brand-new robot, which they intended to build for Series 9 of Robot Wars. However, the team were not selected to compete, and thus the design was never completed. Team DisConstructor did not apply to compete in Series 10.
- "New boys, could prove "disconcerting" for some"
- — Jonathan Pearce
DisConstructor participated in the penultimate heat of the Seventh Wars, and was placed up against fellow newcomers Xenomorph, Dutch entrants Hammerhead 2 and Robot Wars veterans Iron-Awe 2.1 in the first round of the heat.
DisConstructor went on the charge immediately, but missed Hammerhead 2 and went off into the distance before turning around and inadvertently causing damage to Refbot. DisConstructor then caught Iron-Awe 2.1 twice and reversed into it, but caused it minimal trouble. DisConstructor then clattered into Xenomorph twice, sending a small amount of sparks flying. After this, DisConstructor hung around Sir Killalot, as it slipped into his claws before reversing away and slamming into the arena wall, accidentally activating the pit release button in the process. As the pit siren sounded, DisConstructor slid into Sir Killalot's CPZ, before moving away from danger once more. On its retreat this time, though, DisConstructor skidded along the arena floor and drove itself down into the pit.
- "Oh, into the pit goes DisConstructor! No danger whatsoever - oh, what on earth happened, Mike Phillipson!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
As a result of its erroneous piece of driving, DisConstructor was eliminated, and after a lengthy battle and a judges' decision for the other three machines, Xenomorph joined it in exiting the competition.
DisConstructor appeared in Heat 2, filling in for Overdozer after it withdrew and appeared in the following heat. In its Group Battle, it was drawn against newcomer Shockwave, veterans Thor, and experienced Dutch competitor Tough as Nails.
DisConstructor immediately backed away to try to get its weapon up to speed, with Tough as Nails coming in to keep the speed of DisConstructor's weapon down. Sparks flew as DisConstructor was deflected back by Tough as Nails' initial charge, with DisConstructor tentatively moving forwards before turning towards Shockwave and the pit release button. As it attempted to dodge an approaching Shockwave, DisConstructor was rammed by Tough as Nails again, the impact causing it to recoil towards Shunt's CPZ. Showing limited signs of movement, DisConstructor barely turned onto the Floor Flipper following a nudge and an attempted lift from Shunt. It proceeded to twitch backwards over the edge of the Flipper, which promptly threw it a short distance towards the centre of the arena.
- "Oh, look at the power of the flipper! Lifting 103 kilos of DisConstructor as if it was a feather!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as DisConstructor is sent airborne
Seconds later, DisConstructor was scooped up and pushed into the wall by Shockwave; its disc clipped the wall, causing more sparks to fly and the robot to rebound towards the pit. DisConstructor tried to turn away, but Shockwave quickly got underneath and pushed it into the pit, eliminating it early on from the Group Battle.
- "And they must've been affected, because they're gone, they're out - almost straight away! The team from Redhill in Surrey gone!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as DisConstructor is pitted by Shockwave
As a result, DisConstructor was eliminated from Series 8 altogether, having been pitted in both of its appearances on Robot Wars. It was eventually joined by Tough as Nails, which became immobilised and pitted later on in the same battle.
|DISCONSTRUCTOR - RESULTS|
|The Seventh Wars - UK Championship|
Heat, Round 1
|Heat O, Round 1||vs. Hammerhead 2, Iron-Awe 2.1, Xenomorph||Eliminated|
|Series 8 - UK Championship|
|Heat 2, Group Battle||vs. Shockwave, Thor, Tough as Nails||Eliminated|
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 2
|Series||DisConstructor Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Failed to qualify with Demolition Doris|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Heat, Round 1|
|Series 8||Heat, Round 1|
|Series 9||Not selected with new build|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
Outside Robot WarsEdit
During Robot Wars' hiatus, DisConstructor was retired. It briefly came out of retirement for the 2006 UK Championships, falling in the group stages to Merlin and Hammerhead, as its mobility was limited. After this, DisConstructor could not compete at live events due to the ban on spinners.
Laurie Phillipson, with team mates Jordan Gear and Albert Phillipson, has since built five antweights, Little Doris, THRUST, ANTi Matter, TiNY and Avenger.
- DisConstructor was one of only three robots in Series 8 to not use modern Lithium batteries inside the machine, instead using lead acid batteries. The others were The General and Sweeney Todd, both of which also used lead acid batteries.
- Despite having four team members in Series 8, only three members of Team DisConstructor appeared in their official team photo.
- When DisConstructor was introduced shortly before its battle in Series 8, its name was misspelt as 'DisContructor'.
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1256500357736610&id=227321703987819&comment_id=1537637206289589&reply_comment_id=1537649276288382