- "Looks like a tank, made of MDF, steel and aluminium, it can pull a car. First time on Robot Wars, the turret with its two blades can spin three hundred and sixty degrees, so complete revolution for Evolution."
- — Jonathan Pearce introduces Evolution
Evolution was a heavyweight robot which exclusively competed in Series 5 of Robot Wars. It reached the second round of its heat by winning a judges' decision over Sabretooth, but was quickly thrown out of the arena by Spawn Again.
Evolution was designed to look like an Army tank. The robot's turret would spin around very fast at three hundred and sixty degrees and act as a spinning weapon. The robot could get up to 15mph. Its chassis was made of steel and aluminium but the robot was armoured in MDF (medium density fibreboard) - essentially wood - which was very fragile and easily damaged by the House Robots Sgt. Bash and Sir Killalot. Despite sporting fake tracks along the sides, Evolution actually ran on wheels.
Evolution was built by Team Darwin, captained by Alistair Hare, the builder and driver of the robot. His wife Katie Hare was credited as a team member as well, although she was not present during the filming of Series 5, as she was pregnant at the time with their son Sam Hare, leaving Alistair Hare to compete alone in Evolution's only appearance.
The team name, Team Darwin, is a reference to the naturalist and geologist Charles Darwin, who introduced the scientific theory of evolution (which the robot is named after), which he referred to as "natural selection".
Evolution was first built for Series 4, where it attended the live qualification tour and fought at least two fights. Evolution fought a robot called Cedric Slammer where it supposedly moved and fought slowly in its fight. Evolution also fought Dominator 2. In the battle, Evolution's MDF turret was repeatedly pierced by Dominator 2, and Evolution was far behind in the battle, until Dominator 2's removable link suddenly fell out from the force of its own axe blow. As a result, Evolution won the battle, although its performance did not merit the robot a place in the Fourth Wars.
- "we were invited to appear in the later show as well. Our next victim was called Evolution, and looked rather like a green tank with a rotating top turret, (which turned out to be made of MDF!) Once again it was a one sided bout, and once again the removable link jumped out due to the shock from our axe, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory! Again the audience came to our rescue."
- — Dominator 2 website
An upgraded Evolution returned for Series 5, and fought Robochicken-Evo in a qualifier battle. Although the winner of the battle is unknown, both robots successfully qualified for the Fifth Wars.
Evolution competed in Heat G of the Fifth Wars, facing a fellow newcomer in its first round battle, Sabretooth.
Before activate Evolution got its turret up to speed and struck Sabretooth. Evolution backed away and for an attack but missed and Sabretooth caught the side of Evolution, shredding it but breaking its own weaponry. Evolution then got in and under and pushed Sabretooth towards the arena wall Sabretooth then came back with a push on the side of Evolution. They got chased by Sir Killalot. Sabretooth appeared to break down. However, instead of Evolution going in for the kill, the House Robots instead attacked Evolution. With Sgt. Bash cutting through Evolution's top armour, easily crumpling MDF, and getting a yellow card by Refbot. Sir Killalot cut off Evolution's turret, and spun it round. Sir Killalot put it down and was also given a yellow card by Refbot.
- "What have they got against Evolution? Hang on, I'm being passed a message here from Matilda in the pits, House Robots don't like wooden machines! Part MDF, Evolution, and that's why they're after you, they think you're taking the Michael!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Sir Killalot attacks Evolution
In the closing seconds, Sabretooth came back into the battle and pushed Evolution but it was too late. Evolution was barely mobile in the late stages of the battle, but still survived until a judges' decision as the judges viewed the House Robot attacks as unfair, and Sabretooth was also flagging. The judges put Evolution through to the next round.
In the second round, Evolution faced the thirteenth seed, Spawn Again.
Alistair Hare put a brick inside the turret in the hope that it would make the weapon more powerful. However, it instead made the weapon too heavy, and caused Evolution to spin on the spot. Consequentially, Evolution was a sitting duck and had no weaponry. Spawn Again and Evolution sized each other up, before Spawn Again went to flip Evolution but missed. Spawn Again moved back in and threw Evolution over and then out of the arena, even throwing its own flipper blade off in the process. The battle was over within twenty seconds, placing it among the shortest battles on Robot Wars.
- "We need to evolve."
- — Alistair Hare, after the loss
|EVOLUTION - RESULTS|
|The Fifth Wars - UK Championship|
Heat Semi Final
|Heat G, Eliminator||vs. Sabretooth||Won|
|Heat G, Semi Final||vs. Spawn Again (13)||Lost|
- Wins: 1
- Losses: 1
|Series||Evolution Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Failed to qualify|
|The Fifth Wars||Heat, Round 2|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
Outside Robot WarsEdit
In late 2002, Evolution was sold online to an unknown buyer.
- In Robot Wars: The Ultimate Guide, Evolution's battle against Spawn Again in the Fifth Wars was mistakenly written to be the fastest battle in Robot Wars at the time, when it was actually the fight between Cerberus and Griffon in the Third Wars.
- Evolution made a cameo appearance in the second episode of Robot Wars: World Series, where it was crumpled by Sgt. Bash in the introduction to Jeroen van Lieverloo's robot THE BASH.
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20040530140704fw_/http://homepage.ntlworld.com/elliottsmart/pages/page559.htm
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20030821103825/http://www.robotmayhem.com/forum/messages/4/11116.html?1045606521