- "From Arthurian legend, their Merlin-like wizardry includes a motor-driver arm with hardened steel axe and pneumatic ram. The team had Disruptor in the last series, but they hope Excalibur has a Camelot more success."
- — Jonathan Pearce introduces Excalibur
Excalibur was a robot that competed in Series 3 of Robot Wars. In its only series appearance, it lost in the first round to Centurion after both robots locked together and Excalibur was deemed immobilised. The team that built Excalibur had previously competed in Series 2 with Disruptor.
Excalibur was a silver wedge-shaped robot with red tribal markings and two weapons; a double-headed electric axe and a small rear pneumatic lifter. While its wheels were partially exposed at the rear and the robot itself suffered reliability issues, Excalibur's axe proved very effective, easily punching holes through Centurion's armour during its only appearance.
The robot was named after the sword from Arthurian legend, Excalibur, wielded by King Arthur.
- "Let's hope it's not a hair-raising experience for Excalibur!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Excalibur's first battle begins
Excalibur competed in Heat J of Series 3, facing Centurion in its first round battle. It slowly approached Centurion as the latter charged into it, before using its axe to attack Centurion's right-hand side. Another axe blow punched through Centurion's left-hand armour - immediately above the latter's left wheel - but Excalibur was slow to move away, and eventually turned towards Sergeant Bash's CPZ. This allowed Centurion to ram Excalibur against the wall and axe it repeatedly, although without causing any damage to Excalibur's armour. Excalibur spun away, but briefly stopped moving as Centurion charged at it. It drove forwards as Centurion got itself stuck on the arena spikes, before dodging Centurion and stopping again close to the wall. Excalibur stood motionless as Centurion rammed it against the wall again, lifted it, and drove it towards the flame jet near Sir Killalot's CPZ. It fired its axe as Centurion tried to push it into Sir Killalot, briefly getting itself stuck on the arena floor, before trying to axe Sir Killalot as he pushed it back towards Sergeant Bash. After being turned round in the process, Excalibur proceeded to attack Sergeant Bash, before driving away from him and being pushed aside by Centurion.
- "And Excalibur... having a go at Sergeant Bash! Is that wise this late on...?"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Excalibur attacks Sergeant Bash
Excalibur axed Sgt. Bash's top armour as Centurion pushed it into him, leaving both robots stuck together before Excalibur retracted its axe just as Sir Killalot approached. Centurion axed Excalibur a few more times - at one point causing both of their axes to lock together - before Excalibur was declared immobilised, allowing Matilda, Sir Killalot and Sgt. Bash to attack it further. After sustaining damage to its armour from the House Robots, Excalibur was eliminated from the Third Wars as a result.
- "Oh dear, in the Robot Wars pits sweepstake, I had Excalibur to win this! They're out, Centurion through."
- — Jonathan Pearce
|EXCALIBUR - RESULTS|
|The Third Wars - UK Championship|
Heat, Round 1
|Heat J, Round 1||vs. Centurion||Lost|
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 1
|Series||Excalibur Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Entered with Disruptor|
|The Third Wars||Heat, Round 1|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
Outside Robot WarsEdit
Excalibur was scrapped not long after its Robot Wars appearance, as its internals, including the Sinclair C5 motors, were originally pulled from scrap, and were showing signs of age. The robot's batteries and transmitter had also become unreliable. Anthony Lockwood still displays Excalibur's axe on his wall.
In 2014, it was reported that team captain Anthony Lockwood had half-completed an as-yet unnamed new robot, capable of running inverted and armed with a front vertical disc and rear flipper. The project was conceptualised before spinning weapons were banned from live events, with Lockwood stating that it was planned to compete in later series of the original Robot Wars and abandoned following Channel 5's acquisition of the show.
- Anthony Lockwood: "I hope they do heavyweight spinners then I will finish my new robot."
- Nate Franklin: "What kind of bot are you building? "
- Anthony Lockwood: "I half built a vertical spinner with a flipper at the back. I put a lot of design into it, it runs both ways up and can crawl lol. 100kg."
- Nate Franklin: "Why would you build it if you knew you wouldn't be able to compete with it?"
- Anthony Lockwood: "I built it years ago when spinners were allowed. My third robot; I had Disruptor on Series 2 and Excalibur on Series 3, old school stuff, my third machine took me a while to build then BBC sold the show and I never finished it."
- — A conversation from the Official Robot Wars Facebook group on Anthony Lockwood's new robot
In 2016, the team expressed interest in completing a heavyweight robot named KONG, having missed out on Series 8 of Robot Wars, although it is unknown if this plan ever came to fruition.
- Excalibur's name was erroneously spelt as Excaliber several times during its televised appearance.
- Excalibur was the only robot to be excluded from the list of all the robots that competed in Series 3.