|Armament! This Robot Wars article is in need of rewriting to bring it up to a higher standard. You can help Robot Wars Wiki by rewriting it.|
- "Flensburger's weapons may not look like the most fearsome in the championship, but it does have entertaining light and sound effects."
- — Robot Wars Extreme: The Official Guide
Flensburger Power was a German competitor robot which fought exclusively in the first series of Robot Wars Extreme, having been built for a German series of the show by employees of Stadtwerk Flensburg. It fought in the German Melee against three other German machines, and then represented its country in the International Mayhem and The Second World Championship events, but lost all three of its battles.
Although Flensburger Power did not enter the televised series of German Robot Wars, the German Melee which it fought in was broadcast as part of the first heat of that series. The team instead attempted to enter the German series with Phoenix, but ultimately did not compete.
Flensburger Power was a large green box-shaped robot with a front wedge and armed with two weapons - a front mounted spear and a spinning cutter at the back. It was powered by two Bosch motors at 115 watts on 24 volts, and a windscreen wiper motor, which likely powered the weaponry. 6 Panasonic batteries rated at 12V also provided movement, but the robot was rather sluggish and its weapons did not seem to be effective. The robot also lost mobility entirely under minimal pressure in two out of three fights. For additional effects, a siren was built into Flensburger Power to create sounds, alongside flashing lights.
- "The power of the engines was transferred to the wheel axles with toothed belts. Each of the two engines was individually controlled, which achieved a support of the steering movement. Both engines had their own power supply of 24 volts (2 x 12 volt batteries in series). The other 2 batteries were used to power the weapons and effects."
- — Flensburger Power website (translated from German)
After RTL announced a series of Robot Wars which would air in Germany, to be filmed concurrently with the fifth UK series and first Dutch series, Flensburger Power was built ahead of the deadline, and was ready to compete. However, as Flensburger Power was one of only four applicants for the series, filming for a dedicated series never took place due to the lack of entries. Flensburger Power was, however, invited to compete in the various battles of Robot Wars Extreme in the United Kingdom, alongside the other three series applicants. When RTL attempted to film another German series of Robot Wars one year later, the team were registered to enter with a new robot named Phoenix, but withdrew before the competition began.
Flensburger Power took part in the International Inferno, representing Germany by taking on Panic Attack from the UK (though it was actually from Wales), Manta from the USA, and MaxiMill from the Netherlands. Little was seen of Flensburger Power as it was pursued by Panic Attack in the opening minute before it was shoved on the flame pit where it broke down. It was counted out by Refbot and eliminated. Matilda then herded it along with MaxiMill.
Flensburger Power later took part in the German Melee against Nasty Warrior, Golem, and Ansgar, which was also later broadcast during German Robot Wars. During the battle, it did nothing but evade most of its opponents and move around very ponderously. It did get caught by Ansgar's lifter, but managed to drive away before any damage was done. It survived to the judges' decision, but lost on points to Ansgar.
- "The motor comes from a windscreen wiper, it has a dazzling lights display... but I don't see it illuminating these proceedings... "
- — Jonathan Pearce's thoughts on Flensburger Power, as it enters the arena during The Second World Championship
Despite losing both its battles in the first series of Extreme, Flensburger Power was chosen to represent Germany in the Second World Championship, which was also broadcast as part of the first season of Robot Wars: Extreme Warriors. In the first round, it was drawn up against Diotoir from Ireland, The Revolutionist from the USA, and the reigning world champion, Razer. It was unable to make an impact in the fight, getting pushed into the arena wall by Diotoir. Diotoir then drove away to attack Razer, while Flensburger Power merely shuffled forward before it broke down again. After being counted out by Refbot and flung onto its back by Matilda's flywheel, Flensburger Power was eliminated from the Second World Championship at the first hurdle.
|FLENSBURGER POWER - RESULTS|
|Extreme Series 1|
|Single Battle Events|
German Melee, International Inferno (Representing Germany)
|International Inferno||vs. Manta (USA), MaxiMill (NED), Panic Attack (UK)||Lost|
|German Melee||vs. Ansgar, Golem, Nasty Warrior||Lost|
|NOTE: This battle was also broadcast during German Robot Wars|
|The Second World Championship|
Representing Germany, Eliminated in Heats
|NOTE: This competition was also broadcast during US Season 1|
|Heat||vs. Diotoir (IRE), Razer (UK), The Revolutionist (USA)||Eliminated|
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 3
|Main Series||Flensburger Power Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
|Robot Wars Extreme||Appearances|
|Series 2||Did not enter|
|German Series||Flensburger Power Series Record|
|German Robot Wars||Withdrew with Phoenix|
NOTE: Flensburger Power initially applied for a series of German Robot Wars in 2001, which was later cancelled. Flensburger Power's appearance in the German Melee was broadcast during Episode 1 of the 2002 German Robot Wars.
- Flensburger Power was mispronounced as "Flensburg Power" by Robot Wars arena announcer Stuart McDonald during all of its appearances in Extreme 1. However, its name was pronounced correctly when the German Melee was shown as part of German Robot Wars.
- All of Flensburger Power's appearances in Extreme 1 were in the same episode as Firestorm.
- All of Flensburger Power's battles featured Matilda as one of the House Robots.
- In all of its appearances, Flensburger Power never shared the arena with Dead Metal or Sgt. Bash despite them both appearing in all episodes that Flensburger Power featured in.
- Only two of the robots that Flensburger Power fought did not take part in a World Championship.
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20040419083828/http://robotwars.bei.t-online.de:80/Robot.htm
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20030411084747/http://www.robothomsen.de:80/london.html
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20160108211306/http://forum.roboteers.org/thread.php?postid=19887