Gi-Ant-O was a featherweight entry from Team Terrafonics, now known as Team Danby, which competed in the Featherweight Championships of the second series of Robot Wars Extreme and the seventh series of Robot Wars. Two different versions of Gi-Ant-O competed in either series, with neither progressing beyond the first round.
Versions of Gi-Ant-O
There were two versions of Gi-Ant-O which shared the same name, but were completely different from each other.
Gi-Ant-O (Extreme 2)
- "Gi-Ant-O looks so itty-bitty in the claws of Killalot."
- — Jonathan Pearce before Sir Killalot drops the tiny Gi-Ant-O out of the arena
The Extreme 2 version of Gi-Ant-O was a last minute replacement for the Series 7 version (see below), which broke down before it could compete in the Featherweight Championship.
This substitute version of Gi-Ant-O was essentially a tiny 3kg Lynxmotion sumo robot kit with two wheels, transparent armour and a tall wedge, but its lack of weaponry made it considerably less effective than its opponents.
Gi-Ant-O (Series 7)
The version of Gi-Ant-O that appeared in Series 7 was a box-shaped robot with two wheels, transparent armour and a top-mounted horizontal spinning bar which gave it a passing resemblance to three-time BattleBots middleweight champion Hazard. Not much of its spinning bar weapon was seen, however, as Gi-Ant-O suffered drive problems in the early stages of its only fight, and its wheels were highly exposed.
Humorously, the robot's spinning bar was covered with a pair of socks in the pits, as safety protection.
The tiny sumobot was ineffective against its much larger opponents, and it also struggled for mobility, spinning around in a circle near the Floor Spinner, but it did dodge an initial attack from Neoteric.
- "Gi-Ant-O looked lonesome as Neoteric, Argh!, Katnip and AM CV fought on."
- — Jonathan Pearce notes Gi-Ant-O's lack of action
Later on though, one blow from Neoteric's disc knocked Gi-Ant-O out, just as AM CVn was, before being attacked by Katnip. After being counted out by Refbot, Gi-Ant-O returned to life and was able to avoid Sir Killalot for four minutes, before the House Robot grabbed the 3kg machine and dropped it over the arena side wall, eliminating it from the competition and completely destroying Gi-Ant-O.
- "We avoided Sir K for 4 mins before he finally got me."
- — Craig Danby on what happened to Gi-Ant-O after it was counted out
At the beginning, while Rampage 2 and Whipper clashed together and Micro Mute fell foul of Sir Killalot, Gi-Ant-O was largely anonymous. It appeared to have lost drive to its right side almost immediately, as it spent practically the entire match driving around in circles. Then, the sparring Rampage and Whipper drove near Gi-Ant-O, and while Gi-Ant-O delivered a hit to Rampage 2's side, it caused almost no damage.
- "Gi-Ant-O's blade, I don't think, is gonna cause any damage whatsoever to Rampage 2."
- — Jonathan Pearce
Gi-Ant-O was then almost rammed by an our-of-control Micro Mute, before it was pushed aside by Sir Killalot, who proceeded to attack the counted out Micro Mute. At this point, Gi-Ant-O's blade slowed down to a halt, and it was counted out by Refbot due to it not being fully mobile, despite Whipper also being immobilised.
- "Gi-Ant-O's still in there... but not for much longer! Gi-Ant-O's helicopter blade, slowly spinning into submission."
- — Jonathan Pearce
As Micro Mute had already been counted out and pitted, cease was called. According to Craig Danby, this version of Gi-Ant-O burst into flames.
|GI-ANT-O - RESULTS|
Featherweight Championship, Round 1
|Round 1||vs. AM CVn, Argh!, Bernard, Eddy Evolution, Katnip, Neoteric||Eliminated|
|Round 1||vs. Micro Mute, Rampage 2, Whipper||Eliminated|
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 2
|Main Series||Gi-Ant-O Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Featherweight Championship with Deadline|
|The Third Wars||Super Heavyweight Championship with Toxin (event cancelled)|
|The Fourth Wars||Failed to qualify with Vindicare|
|The Fifth Wars||Failed to qualify with TX-108|
|The Sixth Wars||Failed to qualify with TX-108|
|The Seventh Wars||Featherweight Championship, Round 1|
Unused reserve, Tanto
Failed to qualify with TX-108
|Series 8||Entered with Foxic|
Not selected with Apex
|Series 9||Entered with Foxic (Team Danby)|
Entered with Apex (Team Terrafonics)
|Series 10||Entered with Apex|
Not selected with Foxic
|Robot Wars Extreme||Appearances|
|Series 1||Entered with TX-108 (unaired)|
Entered with Anto
|Series 2||Featherweight Championship, Round 1|
- NOTE 1: Tanto, a robot built by Team Danby, also competed in the untelevised Series 8 Pilot under Team Immersion.
- NOTE 2: Craig Danby also competed in Battle of the Stars as mentor for The Cat.
Outside Robot Wars
Because both versions of Gi-Ant-O were destroyed or seriously damaged, Craig Danby did not build a new version of Gi-Ant-O after Robot Wars. However, Shane Lale converted an old Roaming Robots kitbot House Robot called KX into a featherweight called GiAnto (Giant Anto) in 2014, which he entered into the UK Featherweight championships. It was eliminated in the second round after Beauty 2 flipped it out of the arena, and it was then flipped out the arena again by Explosion in the losers' melee.
- By competing in the Series 2 Featherweight Championship with Deadline and the competitions of Extreme 2 and Series 7 with Gi-Ant-O, Team Terrafonics competed in more Robot Wars featherweight competitions than any other team, only being absent from the Extreme 1 competition.
- Gi-Ant-O and Kitty were the only robots to lose in the first round of the Featherweight Championship in both Extreme 2 and Series 7.