Glint was a heavyweight robot built with the intention of applying for Series 5 of Robot Wars. It was designed by a group of secondary school students from London, but was not finished in time for auditions.
Glint was initially supposed to be a classic wedge shape inspired by Series 1 champion Roadblock, but with a rear-hinged flipper at the front. This idea was deemed too boring by the team, and was therefore ditched in favour of a more unique design - a full body spinner.
- "The idea was to have a hemisphere, a dome shaped robot. There would be two blades fixed to the outer shell of the robot which would be our weapons. The shell would spin at a very high speed and cause incredible damage."
- — The Glint team explain their design process on their website
The team produced a prototype armoured in cardboard to demonstrate the design and work out dimensions. This was to be replaced by titanium on the final robot, a material team member Navneet Kokri was able to obtain free offcuts of from a company in Hounslow.
Unfortunately no images exist of Glint, though its design has two blades fitted high up on the shell, somewhat similar to fellow full body spinner Corkscrew. It became increasing evident during the design and construction stages that a lack of supervision hindered progress on the build, which likely contributed to the robot ending up unfinished.
- "One of our main problems so far is we need a teacher to supervise the project. Both to give us help and to oversee what we do. There has been a problem in this department, as the teacher in charge of the project has recently changed. Now we may not even have a teacher at all."
- — The team explain Glint's slow progress
Though the team conceded that they would not be in a position to be selected for Series 5, it is unknown whether the team did apply for the following series, as this was the most recent update on their website.
- "Another problem is we need a letter from a member of staff at the school to our sponsor before we receive any member. We can not send this letter out until we have a definite member of staff in charge. We have had some major problems on this front, perhaps delaying our project too long. This means it may tour into a tow year project, for Series 6 of Robot Wars."
- — Amar Radia fears Glint would not be finished in time for Series 5 auditions
A glint is another name for a momentary sparkle or flash of light. As the robot Glint was supposed to be armoured in titanium, this may allude to the blinding sparks titanium produces when cut by an angle grinder or other tool.
|Series||Glint Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Failed to qualify|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|