- "These hammers fly around, and they do the business!"
- — Alfred Beharie on the weaponry
Hammertron was a robot that exclusively competed in Series 3 of Robot Wars. In its qualifier, Hammertron caused significant damage to a set of breeze-blocks, which was enough to see it qualify for the main competition. The version seen on television was a revised version of the one seen in the qualifiers, which had been lighter, slower and had had smaller hammers.
The team also considered entering another robot called Armstrong that was equipped with a motorised self-righting arm and used a suction system so it would stay low and hard to push. The team scrapped the suction feature in favour of making a better engineered robot. They even attempted to create Hammertron Mk2 though it's unknown if the robot attempted to qualify for the Fourth Wars.
- "The new Robot, HAMMERTRON Mark2, was started in earnest immedietly after We returned home and was complete in around four Months at a cost of just � The tracks and control gear being the only components used from the Mk1. The logos were sourced from my mate Gary down at:- 'The Sign shop', in Hanworth, Middlesex. The paint used is M.O.D. issue matt black containing anti infra-red detection ingredients! The tracks (timing belts) were sourced from 2-3 local Peugeot/Citroen dealers and are ex-service items that are usually thrown away, so didnt cost anything! They are from the 1.9 XUD Diesel engine. "
- — Hammertron website
- "2 and a half kilo hammers to aim body blows the weapons on this aluminium robot, its dome is made of steel, the motors come from windscreen wipers, but with a maximum speed of 3mph it's the slowest in the heat."
- — Jonathan Pearce introduces Hammertron
Hammertron was an aluminium box shaped robot, with tracks. It was armoured in aluminium and powered by windscreen wiper motors. It was slow at 3mph but had a steel chassis and was armed with a pair of 1.5kg spinning hammers which could lift up and be used as a srimech. However, the weaponry did not work and the robot was beaten in its only battle against Sonic. The robot took 2 and a half weeks to build, costing £150.
- "A very very sluggish start by Hammertron...The hammers are wheeling away there furiously...aimlessly...pointlessly"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Hammertron looked very sluggish in the opening stages of the battle, as Sonic pushed it towards Dead Metal's corner patrol zone. Sonic was very nearly flipped over by the arena floor spike, but it recovered and Hammertron, which was barely moving, got turned over by a combination of the floor spike and a push by Sonic. Shunt closed in and axed its underside and Dead Metal sliced through one of its tracks, before it dumped it in the pit, the weapon detaching as it was pushed along the arena floor.
- "I had trouble controlling it, the jack inside that lifts and raises the arm locked down, and I couldn't get it back up again. When it got flipped over onto its back, we should've been able to flip it back over, but that's what happened, it locked down."
- — Alfred Beharie
|HAMMERTRON - RESULTS|
|The Third Wars UK Championship|
Heats, Round 1
|Heat E, Round 1||vs. Sonic||Lost|
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 1
|Series||Hammertron Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Heat, Round 1|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|