- Jayne Middlemiss: "This is Herbinator."
- Jeremy Cuss: "That's right."
- Jayne Middlemiss: "As in the Terminator"
- Jeremy Cuss: "And Herbie, the Volkswagen!"
- Jayne Middlemiss: "Ah, so it's a mix between Arnie and Herbie!"
- — The two inspirations for the robot's name
Herbinator was a robot that singularly competed in Series 7 of Robot Wars. It competed in Heat D of the main competition, but was eliminated fairly swiftly in the first round by Lightning. The team had previously attempted to enter the Sixth Wars, but failed to qualify.
- Jayne Middlemiss: "How much could it lift, small child?"
- Herbinator team: "Oh, at least!"
- Jayne Middlemiss: "Small child and a cow at the same time?"
- Herbinator team: "Maybe an elephant!"
- — Tongue-in-cheek discussion of the flipper's power
Herbinator was large, mostly white box-wedge shaped robot, armoured in aluminium. It was armed with a flipper, operated by 16 BANG pneumatic cylinders, while its drive was powered by two 750W electric motors. The side of the robot was outfitted with rollbars made from welded aluminium, which were designed to prevent the robot from falling onto its side or being side-stranded by competitors. This was designed to work in tandem with the robot's side skirts which provided a low ground clearance, but in practice, the rollbars failed to prevent Herbinator from being stranded on its side. The build process of Herbinator took 27 months, at a cost of £2000.
The name Herbinator was a portmanteau of Herbie and the Terminator, and as suggested by the name, its paint-job was based on the famous car from film and television, Herbie the Love Bug.
Herbinator first attempted to qualify for Series 6, but was unsuccessful in its attempt. In response to this loss, the team outfitted rollbars to the side of the machine ahead of their Series 7 qualifier, and although the events of their qualifier battle are unknown, Herbinator earned a place in the Seventh Wars.
Herbinator went up against the 7th seeds 13 Black, veterans The Alien and former Tag Team competitors Lightning, who was fighting alone for the first time, in its first round battle of the Seventh Wars.
- "Newcomers to Robot Wars, Herbinator could face the deep sleep."
- — Jonathan Pearce as Herbinator enters the arena
In the first few seconds of its eliminator, Herbinator slowly dodged the approaching Lightning as they charged towards 13 Black, but Herbinator was then was flipped onto its side by Lightning up against the arena side wall. Due to it being propped against the arena wall, Herbinator's side roll bars couldn't self-right it and could not use the flipper to jerk it from the sideways position. Refbot then counted out Herbinator, eliminating it from the competition.
- "I think their short life in Robot Wars is about to "cease", an ex-robot! ... A flipper flick will not keep you in Robot Wars, Herbinator, the idea is to move around, fight, rumble."
- — Jonathan Pearce as Refbot comes in to count out Herbinator, and as Herbinator vainly fires its flipper to try and self-right
After being fiercely axed, Herbinator was later self-righted by Shunt, and Herbinator then went to attack the recently immobilised The Alien, but it was far too late.
|HERBINATOR - RESULTS|
|The Seventh Wars - UK Championship|
Heats, Round 1
|Heat D, Round 1||vs. 13 Black (7), Lightning, The Alien||Eliminated|
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 1
|Series||Herbinator Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Failed to qualify|
|The Seventh Wars||Heat, Round 1|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
- Herbinator was one of the only machines in Series 7 to take visible damage from the axe of Shunt.