- "Tonight's slowest bot, the brainchild of two RAF pilots, who built Pain from parts gleamed from an uncle's farm. The motors come from windscreen wipers. It has chainsaw-driven cutting blades, and the front spike can punch through a 4mm aluminium deck plate!"
- — Jonathan Pearce introduces Pain
Pain (also spelt as PaiN) was a tracked robot that entered the second series of Robot Wars. However, it did not enjoy great success, breaking down before its Gauntlet run, and was eliminated when it failed to move at all on its second attempt and the team could not repair it again in the allotted time.
Design[edit | edit source]
- "Pain was fairly quick & dirty, about 6 months in all but our time management sucked & I had to rush things at the end."
- — Jon Witte on building Pain
Pain was a large, black box-shaped robot with tracks and armed with a front-mounted "kinetic stabber" - a pneumatic spike driven by sparks produced from a mix of oxygen and fuel. The "stabber" was capable of punching through 4mm aluminium deck plate, and could lift at up to 80 degrees. The robot was also equipped with angle grinders at the sides and rear for extra defense, powered by windscreen wiper motors, and had materials acquired from an uncle's farm. Unfortunately, it had unreliable electronics, which contributed to its early demise. At 80.9kg, Pain was also 1.5kg over the original Heavyweight limit.
- "It's drive was from wheelchair motors driving tracks from a carrot machine which powered it at 4mph (apparently as I never saw it move). However I can safely say that Pain had some of the most complicated electronics around and Used a massive PIC. The speed controller was to be based upon MOSFETs but due to time they used relays."
- — Oliver Steeples on Pain
The Team[edit | edit source]
- "Saw the first series trailed on the Beeb and thought "Fun" - I'd decided I wanted a go about half way through episode 1."
- — Jon Witte on entering Robot Wars
Qualification[edit | edit source]
- "Well before the event I had heard rumours about Pain and it's weapon that they tried to ban! What sort of weapon? Well one that mixes fuel and oxygen in a cylinder and then sparks it firing out a pointed spike (it never worked in the end). It also had cutting disks around the side."
- — Oliver Steeples on the reception to Pain
Pain attended the Series 2 rehearsals with no armour. At the rehearsals, Pain's chances was under scrutiny when the technical advisers questioned the legality of its gas powered weapon. Despite this, Pain was successful for qualification to the main series.
Robot History[edit | edit source]
Series 2[edit | edit source]
Pain entered Heat E of the Second Wars, but ran into problems immediately as it broke down before it was due to start its Gauntlet run. The team was forced to make repairs in the pits, and had to sacrifice its spike weapon in an attempt to get it working. However, despite these repairs, Pain still failed to move on its second Gauntlet attempt, as a result of its drive shafts being damaged while the team pushed it into the arena.
- "Here we go, then... No, we don't, the pain in the main, is heading down the drain, I think! They can't get it started!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Pain fails to start the Gauntlet for the second time
The team attempted to repair Pain for a third start, but ran out of time, and were forced to retire from the competition, with Pain having lost all functionality due to radio interference.
- "We were utterly crap. Ran out of development time and couldn't fully test. I was sending RS232 from my laptop thru 40MHz gear to a PIC. Combination of motor noise/ cameras / HT lines outside / IC Engines / poor design drowned out my comms. Tried to bodge micro switches and servos to get moving, but ran out of time."
- — Jon Witte describing to Oliver Steeples what had caused Pain's demise
Results[edit | edit source]
|PAIN - RESULTS|
|The Second Wars - UK Championship|
|Heat E, Gauntlet||Retired (6th)||Eliminated|
Series Record[edit | edit source]
|Series||Pain Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Heat, Gauntlet|
|The Third Wars||Failed to qualify with Judge Mech|
|The Fourth Wars||Failed to qualify with Judge Mech|
|The Fifth Wars||Withdrew from qualifiers with Spam|
|The Sixth Wars||Entered with Spam|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- According to Oliver Steeples, the producers had tried to ban Pain's weapon for unknown reasons, possibly due to the mixing of fuel and oxygen to create sparks.
External Links[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]