- "Its six wheels will make this powerful weapons platform difficult to immobilize."
- — Robot Wars Extreme: The Official Guide
Panzer Mk 2 and Panzer Mk 4, often shortened to just Panzer, were a series of robots which competed in both seasons of Robot Wars: Extreme Warriors, and emerged as the series champion in each, with Panzer Mk 2 earning the first US title over The Revolutionist, and Panzer Mk 4 winning the second over Tricerabot 3.0. Panzer Mk 2 also represented the USA in The Second World Championship, where it was knocked out in round one, the robot's only combat loss compared to its nine wins.
Versions of PanzerEdit
Panzer Mk 2Edit
Panzer Mk 2 (also spelled Panzer MK2) was the team's entry for the first season, and was closely based on the Panzer, a German tank used in World War 2. It was a six-wheel drive box-shaped robot painted mustard yellow with a large lifting scoop on the front which could hoist 300lbs, although it proved incapable of being used as a self-righting mechanism in practice and was susceptible to jamming. It reportedly had bolt-on weapons including a spinning disc, but none were ever seen.
Panzer Mk 4Edit
- "At a blistering 217 pounds, it's been completely redesigned, with a pneumatic lifter and two golf cart motors."
- — Stefan Frank introduces Panzer Mk 4
Panzer Mk 4 (also spelled Panzer MK4) was the team's entry for the second season, and featured a powerful 6-wheel drive like its predecessor, but it had a redesigned weapon. The new plough was primarily used to provide Panzer Mk 4 with an adjustable ground clearance, rather than to flip other robots. It was smaller and had little lifting power, so Panzer Mk 4 relied entirely on ramming power to win matches.
Both versions of Panzer were built by Todd Mendenhall, the captain of Team Stealth from Rancho Palos Verdes in California, and the driver of both robots. In Season 1, he was joined by Don Lariviere and Jennifer Twisdom, while for Season 2, he was joined by his wife Valerie, and Jim Hart. The team dressed in military attire to fit the theme of their robot, and were always respectful of their opponents, praising them in interviews. In Season 2, Todd and Valerie Mendenhall always celebrated their victories with a kiss.
- Rebecca Grant: "So are you guys ready to really ... tank 'em?"
- Don Lariviere: "Yep, we'e ready to go out there and do some shoving!"
- — Pre-battle interview
Panzer Mk 2 started by charging at Spartacus as it was being pushed towards the arena wall by Drillzilla, but Drillzilla was powerful enough to push both robots, and Panzer Mk 2 was pushed into an angle grinder with Spartacus. Panzer Mk 2 turned and quickly got away, and drove across the arena, ramming into Cyclone as it attacked Run Away. Panzer Mk 2 pushed Cyclone against the wall, raised its lifter and pinned Cyclone against the wall. General Chompsalot got the disc of Cyclone in its jaw and pushed it across the arena, and Panzer Mk 2 stayed out of the action as the other robots fought, briefly ramming General Chompsalot. Panzer Mk 2 found itself pinned between Run Away and General Chompsalot, which got its jaw underneath.
- "...and there's Panzer Mk 2, right in the jaws of Chompsalot!"
- — Stefan Frank
Drillzilla pushed Run Away up the arena, but General Chompsalot pushed Panzer Mk 2 across the arena until it managed to escape the jaw. Panzer Mk 2 tried to flip Spartacus, but Spartacus turned away, causing Panzer Mk 2 to miss its flip. Panzer Mk 2 turned around for another attack at Spartacus, and as it started ramming Spartacus, Drillzilla pushed General Chompsalot into its side. Panzer Mk 2 kept pushing regardless, and flipped Spartacus up against the wall.
- "Panzer's still got a little bit of pushing power, as he drives right into Spartacus with the help of Chompsalot, and puts Spartacus up on the rail!"
- — Stefan Frank
Panzer Mk 2 then attacked General Chompsalot, ramming it towards the arena wall, before Drillzilla pushed it away from Panzer Mk 2 and rammed it into the arena wall itself. General Chompsalot managed to get away from Drillzilla, but Panzer Mk 2 tried ramming it. However, Panzer Mk 2's flipper was open, causing it to drive up on one of General Chompsalot's wheels. Drillzilla took advantage, getting under Panzer Mk 2 and pushing it against an angle grinder. On impact with the angle grinder, Panzer Mk 2 managed to reverse away from Drillzilla, only to drive into General Chompsalot, and Drillzilla rammed into it, holding it still as time ran out.
- "The Panzer was strong, all the way through here, even against the outrageous power of Drillzilla."
- — Stefan Frank, reviewing the highlights
The Judges decided that Panzer Mk 2 was the winner, and they proceeded to the next round.
- Mick Foley: "That was impressive, that was action-packed, and I wanna have your feeling on how you feel about your performance thus far today."
- Don Lariviere: "Well it's pretty amazing, I didn't even think we won, there were so many good robots still running at the end, the judges' decision? I don't know, it just feels great!"
- — Post-battle interview
In the Semi-Finals, Panzer Mk 2 fought Manta.
- "More good driving, and keep the bot on him and try to get him flipped over."
- — Don Lariviere reveals his tactics before the battle
Panzer Mk 2 was quick to attack Manta on 'activate', slamming into the side of the lower machine as it tried to dodge the initial charge, actually causing sparks. Manta turned around and the two collided head-on, but Manta was able to get under Panzer Mk 2's front and push back. Panzer Mk 2 tried ramming again, but Manta turned so Panzer Mk 2 drove up on its side. The two robots drove towards the arena wall before separating.
- "Neither one of these guys got a self-righting mechanism, so they'd better watch themselves"
- — Stefan Frank
As Panzer Mk 2 moved away, it collided with Refbot, before meeting Manta head-on again. Panzer Mk 2 rammed into the front of Manta, but couldn't get underneath. Manta got under the side of Panzer Mk 2, whilst Panzer Mk 2 fired its scoop, but missed. Manta pushed Panzer Mk 2, but Panzer Mk 2 got free and reversed up the arena to come in for another frontal charge, causing more sparks to fly as it made contact with Manta's disc. Panzer Mk 2 pushed Manta back, but Manta turned away and pushed Panzer Mk 2 from the side, getting underneath again.
Manta's disc seemed to stop after this attack and the two robots dodged around each other again, with Panzer Mk 2 nudging Manta towards the angle grinders before Manta drove towards Sgt. Bash and briefly got caught in his pincers. Manta escaped, but was a lot more sluggish, allowing Panzer Mk 2 to ram it front-on down the arena. Manta was slow to respond and when it did, Panzer Mk 2 continued to ram into it, causing a piece of armour to fly off. Eventually, Matilda left her CPZ to investigate Manta, but it managed to move out of the way, showing it was still mobile. Panzer Mk 2 came in for another charge but caught Manta at an awkward angle, riding up its shell and nearly overturning itself, just surviving after crashing into a passing Refbot and stabilizing itself.
- "But he's a bit of a ramp, so they'd better watch it!"
- — Stefan Frank as Panzer nearly overturns
As Panzer Mk 2 drove up and over the nearly immobile Manta again, whilst Refbot yellow-carded Matilda for her attack on Manta, whilst Sgt. Bash came to investigate Manta himself. Panzer Mk 2 managed to get one last slam on Manta's side just as time ran out. The judges declared that Panzer Mk 2 had won the battle.
- Mick Foley: "They [the Manta team] are just psychologically devastated, I'm not sure they're ever going to be the same. How do you feel about inflicting this type of psychological damage on young, impressionable adults?"
- Don Lariviere: "Well, they put it out there, so we fought it!"
- Mick Foley: "To tell you the truth, I think they cheated their way into the Semi-Finals anyway! So look, you've got a team, The Revolutionist, that looked mighty impressive in winning in quick fashion, but can their revolving turret, will that have any effect on the Panzer?"
- Todd Mendenhall: "Oh, it will certainly take damage from it, but the question is: if we withstand the damage, can they take our pushing and shoving?"
- — From the interview after the Panzer Mk 2 v Manta battle
In the final, Panzer Mk 2 fought The Revolutionist for the right to become the first Extreme Warriors champion.
- Rebecca Grant: "You guys were really cranking over there on the repairs."
- Don Lariviere: "Yeah well, we just had to charge the batteries up, get some more CO2 and bend a few parts back straight."
- Rebecca Grant: "Oh yeah, like what?"
- Don Lariviere: "Just some of the side plates were rubbing on the wheels and stuff, so we just bent those back straight."
- Rebecca Grant: "Did you change anything up?"
- Don Lariviere: "No, it's going back in the same as it was."
- — Pre-battle interview
Panzer Mk 2 charged at The Revolutionist, but The Revolutionist drove down the arena before its opponent could reach it. It began getting its spinner up to speed, and when Panzer Mk 2 drove at it, it was hit by a glancing blow from the spinner. Panzer Mk 2 drove past The Revolutionist and turned to line up another attack, but when it charged at The Revolutionist, it merely bounced of the spinner. Panzer Mk 2 turned around, and pushed The Revolutionist into Sir Killalot. However, before Sir Killalot could grab The Revolutionist, The Revolutionist pushed past Panzer Mk 2 and darted away from the CPZ. It drove by a CPZ at the top of the arena, and began spinning up, but Panzer Mk 2 charged at it before it could get up to speed, managing to stop the spinner. Panzer Mk 2 tried to flip The Revolutionist, but only lifted it up a little as the lifter was not under The Revolutionist properly.
- "Panzer trying to do anything to penetrate Revolutionist's quick, agile movement..."
- — Stefan Frank
Panzer Mk 2 pushed The Revolutionist into the CPZ, and Dead Metal caught it. However, Dead Metal reversed and allowed The Revolutionist to escape. However, Panzer Mk 2 blocked its escape and The Revolutionist drove into the wall whilst trying to escape. Panzer Mk 2 then rammed The Revolutionist into another CPZ, and Dead Metal trapped it against the wall and began slicing into The Revolutionist. Dead Metal turned to allow The Revolutionist to escape again, but Panzer Mk 2 rammed it against the top arena wall. The Revolutionist drove down the arena, but Panzer Mk 2 was in close pursuit, eventually catching up with it and ramming it against the bottom arena wall. Panzer Mk 2 had the lifter under The Revolutionist, but turned at the wrong moment, causing it to miss its flip.
- "...but the Panzer's got that lifting arm up and oh! He just can't quite get underneath the Revolutionist!"
- — Stefan Frank as Panzer Mk 2 misses his flip
The Revolutionist tried to dodge Panzer Mk 2, but Panzer Mk 2 got under it again and pushed it into a CPZ, flipping it against the wall.
- "There can be a new revolution with the Panzer's coming through!"
- — Stefan Frank after The Revolutionist is flipped
Refbot and Sir Killalot came into the CPZ, and though Sir Killalot knocked it back onto its wheels with his lance, it had been immobile for too long. Dead Metal came in and grabbed it, and pushed it into the pit. As a result, Panzer Mk 2 was crowned the US champion.
- Mick Foley: "Excellent, excellent job. Congratulations to all of you, and I've got to admit, when I The Revolutionist in action in the Semi-Finals, they looked impressive, but it seemed like you just took away their greatest weapon right off the bat."
- Don Lariviere: "Yeah, we just kept pounding on him 'til they couldn't spin up their weapon, and just kept pushing him around until something broke and we ended up flipping them over in the corner."
- Mick Foley: "You basically made them look like a turtle on his shell!"
- Todd Mendenhall: "Well we had the horsepower, and we used it, and there's no substitute for horsepower!"
- — Post-battle interview
As US champion, Panzer Mk 2 came back for the World Championships representing the USA along with Manta, Drillzilla and The Revolutionist. This competition was also broadcast during Robot Wars Extreme: Series 1. In the first round, it fought UK entrant Tornado, Yeborobo from South Africa, and Philipper from Belgium.
Panzer Mk 2 began by missing its charge at Philipper, driving over the pit, with the edge of its flipper getting caught for a moment, but Panzer Mk 2 fired the flipper to get free. Tornado was chasing after it, and Panzer Mk 2 charged into the arena wall whilst driving away from Tornado. Panzer Mk 2 quickly turned around and turned to face Tornado head-on. The two robots pushed against each other, with neither robot able to get an advantage, until Panzer Mk 2 turned away, which allowed Tornado to get at its side and push Panzer Mk 2 around Philipper.
- "Tornado chasing in, after the stateside champion, see those mighty six wheels there."
- — Jonathan Pearce as Tornado rams Panzer Mk 2
Panzer Mk 2 reversed, stopping close to Dead Metal's CPZ, and Tornado pushed it into the CPZ, behind Dead Metal. However, before Dead Metal could attack, Panzer Mk 2 flipper Tornado and rushed out of the CPZ. Panzer Mk 2 drove up the arena, got under the front of Tornado, ramming it into Philipper and flipping it over. Philipper lifted Tornado up, also lifting Panzer Mk 2, and Panzer Mk 2 reversed, before pushing Tornado off of Philipper's lifter and ramming it into the CPZ. Panzer Mk 2 flipped Tornado against the wall, getting the UK representative under its lifter and using it as a clamp.
- "Tornado really being pressured and pursued across the arena floor here by Panzer."
- — Jonathan Pearce
Panzer Mk 2 rammed Tornado into the wall, but Tornado slid out from under the lifter. Panzer Mk 2 quickly got under Tornado again, flipping it over, before driving into the arena centre. Tornado drove after it, and Panzer Mk 2 charged at Tornado, flipping it by the pit and nearly pushing it in, but drove at the wrong angle, so pushed it across the edge rather than in. Panzer Mk 2 reversed across the arena, and Tornado chased after it. Panzer Mk 2 pushed Tornado backwards in reverse, and Yeborobo, which had failed to start at the beginning of the battle and was put on the flipper, landed on Tornado as it was pushed. Panzer Mk 2 kept chasing Tornado, pinning it up against the top arena wall, but Tornado managed to push it back a little, and Philipper got its lifter under the US champion and lifted it over onto its back.
- "There goes Panzer Mk 2 from California, all the way back to the Golden Gate Bridge."
- — Jonathan Pearce as Panzer Mk 2 is counted out
Its self-righting mechanism appeared to have jammed during the tussle with Tornado, so Panzer Mk 2 was unable to right itself and Refbot counted it out, eliminating it from the competition, with Tornado heading through instead. This proved to be the team's only loss on Robot Wars.
- "It has a self-righting mechanism, except, from all the beating with Tornado, it seems to have jammed. So, couldn't quite get back over, I was hitting the switch and it was wiggling a little, and that was done."
- — Todd Mendenhall
- Todd Mendenhall: "We are Team Stealth, that's our name and that's our motto, we kind of lie low under the Radar. We let our robot do our talking for us in the arena. So, if the other people want to talk trash, they can bring it on! We'll just talk back with our robot."
- 'Carol Grow: "Mum always said, 'Be careful of a quiet one!"
- — Pre-Round 1 interview with Carol Grow
Panzer Mk 4 began by charging at Joker. Joker tried spinning as Panzer Mk 4 rammed it, but Panzer Mk 4 hit the unguarded rear as it span. Joker turned so its disc was facing Panzer Mk 4, and kept backing away from the reigning champion. However, Joker exposed its side to Panzer Mk 4, and the champion started ramming on of Joker's wheels, but Joker turned, hitting Panzer Mk 4 with its disc.
- "...and Panzer, with its six-wheel drive bot, is testing the strength, up against Joker's spinning disc."
- — Stefan Frank
Suddenly, Snake Bite, which had stayed away from the action at first, drove across the arena and pushed Panzer Mk 4 into the arena wall. This didn't faze Panzer Mk 4, which quickly slid of the front of Snake Bite and drove around Joker. Joker was rammed into an angle grinder twice in quick succession, and carried over a flame jet. As Panzer Mk 4 reversed after its first ram, it bumped into Sgt. Bash, who was crossing the arena. Joker slid off after Panzer Mk 4 reversed over a flame jet, but Panzer Mk 4 continued pushing it, before driving into Snake Bite. Panzer Mk 4 reversed for a charge, but when it tried to ram, it drove up the side of Snake Bite, allowing Snake Bite to push the reigning champion back until it used its lifter to get off.
- "Not a whole lot of aggression from the Snake Bite team, as Panzer just testing the waters. Panzer's got an awesome amount of power."
- — Stefan Frank as Snake Bite pushes Panzer Mk 4
Meanwhile, Joker was spinning on one wheel, and Panzer Mk 4 rammed into it, but despite hitting Joker, sending it spinning, it crashed into an angle grinder. As Panzer Mk 4 reversed away, Snake Bite drove at it, and Panzer Mk 4 charged, but drove up the front wedge so quickly reversed off. As Joker spun around over a flame jet, Panzer Mk 4 hit Snake Bite again, towards Sgt. Bash. Snake Bite got away and Panzer Mk 4 rammed it again, before changing targets and pushing Joker into Dead Metal. After Dead Metal attacked Joker and let it go, Panzer Mk 4 tried the same tactic with Snake Bite, pushing it to Dead Metal's CPZ and allowing the House Robot to attack. Snake Bite got out of the CPZ as the battle entered the last 10 seconds, and Panzer Mk 4 charged at it, but rode up the front wedge, so quickly reversed off as time ran out.
- "Well those Judges will be deciding on Damage, Style, Control and Aggression, and it's clear to me that Panzer filled all the high marks in those categories, it's just a question of who else caught the eye of the judges in this battle."
- — Stefan Frank, reviewing the highlights
With all three machines still mobile at the end, the Judges eliminated Joker.
- Carol Grow: "So you have a feeling that you're going to be able to defend your title?"
- Todd Mendenhall: "I think it'll be an interesting match, both of us have our weaknesses and strengths, and we'll see how it comes out."
- Carol Grow: "But that's not a yes or a no!"
- Todd Mendenhall: "(Pause) ...Don't know the future."
- — Pre-battle interview
At the start, Panzer Mk 4 charged straight at Spin Doctor, which managed to turn away and dodge. Panzer Mk 4 quickly turned around, and the two robots turned back and forth, trying to get in position to attack. Panzer Mk 4 got at the side of Spin Doctor, and starting pushing. Spin Doctor tried to turn away, but Panzer Mk 4 got behind and pushed Spin Doctor. Spin Doctor managed to turn away, and Panzer Mk 4 chased after it, but Spin Doctor got its wedge under Panzer Mk 4 as it tried to ram. Panzer Mk 4 reversed and tried again, but couldn't get its lifter under the wedge of Spin Doctor, so reversed. Spin Doctor drove at Panzer Mk 4, but charging into the US champion's lifter caused its own wedge to bend in on itself, allowing Panzer Mk 4 to push it back.
- "Definitely going to be a strategic battle, this one. Spin Doctor knows its weaknesses up against the power of Panzer!"
- — Stefan Frank as Panzer Mk 4 rams Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor managed to turn itself off of the lifter, and fled from the reigning champion, with Panzer Mk 4 chasing after it. Spin Doctor turned around to use its disc, but Panzer Mk 4 simply rammed straight into it, getting under the side flipping the whole robot over as it rammed. The impact also caused the chain to slip off from Spin Doctor's disc.
- "Look at the speed and power of the Panzer Mk 4!"
- — Stefan Frank as Panzer Mk 4 flips Spin Doctor over
Panzer Mk 4 rammed Spin Doctor down the arena, close to the pit release button. Spin Doctor opened the pit, only to be rammed again. Spin Doctor drove by a CPZ, then reversed into the pit as it opened, putting Panzer Mk 4 through to the Heat Final.
- Mick Foley: "What does this do for you guys? Rolling into the finals, are you confident or are there still some question marks about your ability? You didn't really get to show anything out there."
- Todd Mendenhall: "Well, we got to take some damage on the front, and showed how sturdy it was. We definitely have the horsepower to push, and that helped, but there's always somebody lurking out there!"
- Mick Foley: "Okay, in the final though, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that nobody's going to open up the pit and roll in on their own, you guys are going to have to prove yourselves!"
- Todd Mendenhall: "You bet!"
- — Post-battle interview
There, Panzer Mk 4 faced Probophobia.
- Carol Grow: "You guys are the title holders, what are you going to do to keep that title?"
- Todd Mendenhall: "Well, winning is good, but we're here to have fun, and we're facing a pretty formidable bot."
- Carol Grow: "Well, winning would be a good strategy!"
- Todd Mendenhall: "Winning would be a good strategy!"
- — Pre-battle interview
Panzer Mk 4 started by driving down the arena, with Probophobia chasing after it, trying to get its lifter underneath. Panzer Mk 4 managed to turn around as Probophobia started raising its lifting arms. Panzer Mk 4 got at the side of Probophobia, and despite Probophobia's attempts to get away, Panzer Mk 4 managed to ram itinto the pincer of Sgt. Bash.
- "Here it is for the final, it's going to be "robo-tastic"! These are two awesome competitors, they're sizing each other up as we speak."
- — Stefan Frank in the early moments of the battle
Sgt. Bash gripped Probophobia by its lifting arm, and as the House Robot let go, Panzer Mk 4 charged in, driving over Probophobia's wedge, into the arena wall and hitting Sgt. Bash. Probophobia raised its lifting arms, but Panzer Mk 4 quickly got of the top of its opponent drove into the arena centre.
- "Wow! Panzer comes in from nowhere, he must have had 30 miles an hour on him. That's some major speed and lift"
- — Stefan Frank as Panzer crashes into Probophobia and Sgt. Bash
Probophobia got out of the CPZ, only for Panzer Mk 4 to ram it into Sir Killalot's claw. Panzer Mk 4 rammed Probophobia as Sir Killalot let it go, before reversing away. Probophobia reversed into the arena centre, and Panzer Mk 4 drove at it, but drove onto the lifting arms. Probophobia managed to lift the reigning champions up, but Panzer Mk 4 slid down the lifting arms onto its wheels.
- "Panzer has got some great driving skills here, Todd Mendenhall knows exactly what to do. They're both going at it like there's no tomorrow, and for one of them there will be no tomorrow!"
- — Stefan Frank as Panzer Mk 4 gets off Probophobia's lifting arms
Panzer Mk 4 rammed Probophobia in reverse, backing it into a CPZ and slamming it against the wall. Sir Killalot came in as Panzer Mk 4 got away, and trapped Probophobia against the arena wall. The House Robot grabbed Probophobia, pulled it out of the CPZ, swung it into Sgt. Bash, before taking it to the arena centre and spinning it around. Sir Killalot let Probophobia go, but it appeared to have slowed. Panzer Mk 4 sped around it, got behind and pushed it into the arena wall. Probophobia reversed away from the wall, only to be rammed into an angle grinder. Probophobia managed to get away quickly, causing Panzer Mk 4 to miss its ram, but Probophobia stopped on a CO2 vent near Sir Killalot's CPZ. Panzer Mk 4 rammed it, and as Probophobia tried to get away, it drove into Sgt. Bash. Panzer Mk 4 rammed Probophobia again, side-on, then got behind it and rammed it across the arena, into the arena disc button, activating the disc. Probophobia limped as Panzer Mk 4 reversed for another charge, only to be slammed against the arena wall again. Probophobia slowly crossed the arena, before being pushed down the arena by Panzer Mk 4, against the arena wall.
- "Probophobia just dosen't know what to do at this point. Panzer's got it all, and there's no question in my mind why these guys are the reigning champs."
- — Stefan Frank
Probophobia ceased moving altogether, so Panzer Mk 4 pushed it away from the wall, before positioning it onto the pit and activating the pit release. Probophobia didn't fall down as its lifting arms were holding it over the pit, so Panzer Mk 4 gently pushed it and triggered the pyrotechnics of the pit, signaling Probophobia's elimination from the competition.
- "They were great competitors, I knew that just an inch here or there and I was in trouble, and we kept pounding them and they kept coming back, I was quite impressed with their robot."
- — Todd Mendenhall to Mick Foley after the battle
In the first round of the Grand Final, Panzer Mk 4 went up against Rosie the Riveter 2.
- "Of the 8 people, there are 2 robots I really didn't want to face early on; one was Tricerabot, and one was Rosie the Riveter, so it's going to be a hard battle right up front! It's going to have to be a lot of movement, a lot of dodging, and really being careful in order to have them put me on my side and put me out!"
- — Todd Mendenhall to Carol Grow before the battle
The battle began with Rosie the Riveter 2 driving into the centre of the arena, whilst Panzer Mk 4 tried to ram into its side, but Rosie the Riveter 2 was able to dodge Panzer Mk 4's charge and quickly turned and pushed the reigning champion in reverse. Panzer Mk 4 was pushed across the arena, into an angle grinder. Panzer Mk 4 tried to get away, but Rosie the Riveter 2 reversed it over a flame jet. Panzer Mk 4 turned and drove away, with Rosie the Riveter 2 chasing after it. Panzer Mk 4 managed to spin, causing Rosie the Riveter 2 to miss its charge. After reversing over the flame pit, Panzer Mk 4 charged at the incoming Rosie the Riveter 2, but couldn't get an advantage, and Rosie the Riveter 2 drove away. Rosie the Riveter 2 turned around, and the two charged into each other, but Rosie the Riveter 2 buffeted off the front of Panzer Mk 4's scoop.
- "...both of these bots have similar strategies, they're both the same type of bot, where they actually need to get around to the side of each other to do any real damage, because they've got some mean power off that front."
- — Stefan Frank as the two competitors try to ram each other
The two robots turned around, and drove at each other, with Rosie the Riveter 2 going up the scoop and driving over. Rosie the Riveter 2 tried to dodge Panzer Mk 4, reversing over the flame pit and driving into a wall, before it managed to get its front wedge under the reigning champion, pushing them around until Panzer Mk 4 drove off. The two competitors turned around, and Panzer Mk 4 charged into the side of its opponent, getting underneath, but Rosie the Riveter 2 quickly turned off.
- "What a good battle this is, really tit for tat! Both of these bots are really quite equal, considering they're both about the same in weaponry and weight."
- — Stefan Frank as Panzer Mk 4 rams Rosie the Riveter 2
Rosie the Riveter 2 turned around, and tried to dodge Panzer Mk 4, which managed to ram into the side. Rosie the Riveter 2 drove down the arena, but Panzer Mk 4 charged at it and rammed it into an empty CPZ, slamming it against the wall. Dead Metal came in, grabbing Rosie the Riveter 2 and cutting into it. Rosie the Riveter 2 tried to get away, but Dead Metal got it between its claws and turned it into the pit release button before Rosie the Riveter 2 escaped. The two competitors fought at the top of the arena, with Panzer Mk 4 ramming Rosie the Riveter 2 into a CPZ. Panzer Mk 4 then drove into the centre of the arena, and when Rosie the Riviter 2 drove after it and tried to get its wedge under, Panzer Mk 4 reversed away, causing Rosie the Riveter 2 to drive straight into the pit, instantly advancing Panzer Mk 4 to the next round.
- "They've got an excellent robot, excellent driving, and we knew this was going to be tough from the beginning."
- — Tom Vaeretti on Panzer Mk 4
Now inside the Top 4 of the competition, Panzer Mk 4 was drawn against Destructive Criticism in its semi-final.
Panzer Mk 4 started tentatively, but then charged at Destructive Criticism, which turned away and dodged. Destructive Criticism turned around to use its disc, but Panzer Mk 4 got at its side and rammed it across the arena. Panzer Mk 4 turned, allowing Destructive Criticism to get off the scoop. Destructive Criticism drove at Panzer Mk 4, but couldn't used its disc as Panzer Mk 4 was spinning. As Panzer Mk 4 stopped spinning, Destrucive Criticism got around the champion's side and tried to cut into Panzer Mk 4 with its disc. No real damage was caused though, and Panzer Mk 4 reversed and retaliated by ramming Destructive Criticism down the arena, into the pit button, knocking the whole robot onto its side and unable to move.
- "...Panzer gets right under Destructive Criticism, hits the pit trigger, and leaves Destructive Criticism in a really precarious position!"
- — Stefan Frank
Panzer Mk 4 rammed the spinner again, causing it to bounce back down onto its wheels, but Destructive Criticism had broken down and was counted out. Shunt axed the beaten competitor, and moved it towards the pit with the help of Matilda, before Panzer Mk 4 pushed it away from the House Robots and pushed Destructive Criticism into the pit.
- "...and Panzer Mk 4, showing exactly why they're reigning champs!"
- — Stefan Frank as Panzer Mk 4 pits Destructive Criticism
The final battle was against Tricerabot 3.0, a robot that it had beaten at the same stage at Robotica Season 3 (in fact, both robots were simply renamed and repainted for Extreme Warriors Season 2). Before the battle, the Panzer Mk 4 team added their mascot to their machine.
- Carol Grow: "US grand champs, you gotta hold on to your title, how do you plan to do that?"
- Todd Mendenhall: "We're going to have a bashing time here!"
- Carol Grow: "Have you done any adjustments to your robot?"
- Todd Mendenhall: "Well, one of the most important things we did is we added our mascot on the top."
- Carol Grow: "I noticed that! Very cute!"
- Todd Mendenhall: "And that's about it!"
- — Pre-batle interview
Both robots were quick to get away on 'activate', their fronts colliding, but neither machine was able to get under the other, so both turned away for another attack. Panzer Mk 4 charged, but Tricerabot 3.0 dodged around it. Tricerabot 3.0 drove at the reigning champion's front and tried to push, but accidentally exposed its side, allowing Panzer Mk 4 to ram it into the arena wall by Sgt. Bash's CPZ. Tricerabot 3.0 quickly recovered, getting away from the House Robot as Panzer Mk 4 reversed. Tricerabot 3.0 chased after Team Stealth's machine, but Panzer Mk 4 rammed it and got under again, ramming Tricerabot 3.0 into an angle grinder, leaving it stuck against it.
- "...and Panzer's got Tricerabot up on the grinder! Up on the real - Panzer, great bit of driving, that mascot's made all the difference in the world!"
- — Stefan Frank as Tricerabot is rammed onto the grinder
Panzer Mk 4 smashed into Tricerabot 3.0 again, knocking them off the angle grinder. Tricerabot 3.0 reversed into a CPZ, then drove under Panzer Mk 4, the impact flipping Panzer Mk 4 onto its side, but fortunately for it, it toppled back onto their wheels.
- "Tricerabot, for a moment, had Panzer up on two wheels, which would have been devestating for Panzer, who's not an invertible bot like Tricerabot!"
- — Stefan Frank as Panzer Mk 4 is nearly toppled
Tricerabot 3.0 got under straight away and rammed its opponent into the top arena wall, but Panzer Mk 4 drove off and drove to the arena centre. Tricerabot 3.0 chased after it, but Panzer Mk 4 reversed a little to dodge its charge, then pushed back as Team Juggerbot's machine tried pushing it, so Tricerabot 3.0 reversed. Tricerabot 3.0 turned around for another attack, and Panzer Mk 4 tried driving away, but in doing so it drove into the arena wall, allowing Tricerabot 3.0 to ram into it, knocking the whole robot onto its top.
- "These guys [Panzer Mk 4], if they get stuck upside-down, they're staying that way! And Tricerabot knows it, as they're trying to get that wedge right underneath Panzer again!"
- — Stefan Frank as Tricerabot 3.0 pins Panzer Mk 4 against the wall
As Tricerabot 3.0 reversed, Panzer Mk 4 drove off. Tricerabot 3.0 drove at Panzer Mk 4's front and tried to ram, but couldn't move its opponent, and Panzer Mk 4 reversed a little, then rammed Tricerabot 3.0 straight against the wall in an empty CPZ. Panzer Mk 4 reversed out, but as Tricerabot 3.0 tried to escape, Sgt. Bash came in to prevent its escape, also blocking Panzer Mk 4 as it tried to attack its opponent. Tricerabot 3.0 escaped the CPZ, but Panzer Mk 4 dodged its charge. The two robots then charged at each other head on, with Tricerabot 3.0 driving up and over the scoop. After riding over Panzer Mk 4, Tricerabot 3.0 reversed at it, but Panzer Mk 4 pushed it up the arena before it drove away. As Panzer Mk 4 charged, Tricerabot 3.0 tried dodging before it could reach, but in doing so it drove close to Shunt's CPZ, and as it tried to dodge Shunt's axe, Panzer Mk 4 closed in, pushing it against the House Robot. After being hit by the axe, Tricerabot 3.0 tried to get away from the CPZ, but Shunt axed it again, and Tricerabot 3.0 reversed into a wall. Tricerabot 3.0 drove at Panzer Mk 4, but merely drove up the scoop.
- "...and Panzer's looking good every time, trying to get under Tricerabot and flip him out of the arena."
- — Stefan Frank as Panzer Mk 4 rams Tricerabot
As Panzer Mk 4 reversed, Tricerabot 3.0 drove away to the other side of the arena. Panzer Mk 4 crossed the arena and rammed Tricerabot 3.0 against the arena disc button, flipping it against the button, leaving it stuck. As the battle entered the last 10 seconds, Panzer Mk 4 rammed Tricerabot 3.0, allowing it to fall back onto its wheels. Tricerabot 3.0 sped up the arena, straight into Sgt. Bash as time ran out. The Judges decided to award the victory to Panzer Mk 4, meaning they successfully defended the Robot Wars: Extreme Warriors Championship.
|PANZER MK 2 - RESULTS|
|Heat||vs. Cyclone, Drillzilla, General Chompsalot, Run Away, Spartacus||Won|
|Final||vs. The Revolutionist||Won|
|The Second World Championship|
Representing USA, Heat
|NOTE: This competition was also broadcast during Extreme Series 1|
|Heat||vs. Philipper (BEL), Tornado (UK), Yeborobo (RSA)||Eliminated|
|PANZER MK 4 - RESULTS|
|Heat A, Round 1||vs. Joker, Snake Bite||Qualified|
|Heat A, Round 2||vs. Spin Doctor||Won|
|Heat A, Final||vs. Probophobia||Won|
|Grand Final, Round 1||vs. Rosie the Riveter 2||Won|
|Grand Final, Semi-Final||vs. Destructive Criticism||Won|
|Grand Final||vs. Tricerabot 3.0||Won|
- Wins: 9
- Losses: 1
|Main Series||Panzer Mk Series Record|
|Season 1||Grand Champion|
|Season 2||Grand Champion|
|Nickelodeon||Did not enter|
Outside Robot WarsEdit
The team also entered the first season of the US robot combat series Robotica with their original design Panzer Mk 1 where it beat Malvolio then lost to Viper. They returned for the third season with Panzer Mk 3 and won the competition, defeating Juggerbot in the final. By definition, this makes Panzer the only robot to have won two separate televised robot combat series. It also competed in BattleBots as Wrath, winning three matches before losing to OverKill.
Todd also built and entered lightweight Pestilence for Season 1.0 (Pestilence entered the 1999 Long Beach event as part of middleweight clusterbot SlapPest), super heavyweight Doom of Babylon for Season 2.0, lightweight Harmageddon Too for Season 2.0 (however Harmageddon Too didn't compete) and middleweight Wrath Jr. for Season 5.0.
Panzer also entered RoboJoust 4 in November 2002 as Panzer Mk 4.5 and was the champion of the Heavyweight bracket.
Appearances in MerchandiseEdit
- Alongside Chaos 2, Panzer Mk was one of only two teams to win and successfully defend their title in their respective main competitions.
- With nine wins and only one loss, Panzer Mk has the strongest win-loss ratio out of all robots to have accrued any combat losses, with a positive ratio of 90% victories, ahead of TR2 (88.8%) by virtue of having one more combat win.
- If the two versions of the robot are considered separately, Panzer Mk 2 holds a 3-1 record, while Panzer Mk 4 holds an undefeated 6-0 record.
- Panzer Mk was the only one of the four semi-finalists from the first US Championship to reach the Grand Final of the second. The other three semi-finalists all returned for Season 2, but lost in the heats.
- While entering the arena for the title battle of Season 2, Panzer Mk 4 was introduced as Tricerabot, and vice versa.
- Panzer Mk is the only robot to beat two robots from a single team (in the main competition and not in a side competition) during one season.
- Team Stealth were one of only three teams in Season 2 who did not compete in any side event or Nickelodeon Robot Wars following on from the main competition, alongside the teams of Lightning Tracks and King of Diamonds.
- Excluding the participants in the 10 Robot Rumble, Panzer Mk 2 is one of only six robots to fight at least two past or future domestic champions in a single battle. The others to do this are 13 Black, Shockwave and the other three robots in its Second World Championship heat: Yeborobo, Philipper and Tornado.
- In 2003, the Panzer Mk series was inducted into The Combat Robot Hall of Fame as an inaugural member. Reasons for its selection included its individual successes in Robot Wars: Extreme Warriors, Robotica and BattleBots (as Wrath), as well as the speed, power and versatility of its six-wheeled drivetrain.