- "Aluminium and steel, a hydraulic lift and spike; the hydraulics from a saloon car braking system. Will this Raizer Blade be all over its opponents like a rash?"
- — Jonathan Pearce introduces Raizer Blade in Series 4
Raizer Blade was the second entry from Team Kill Dozer, which competed in Series 3 and Series 4 of Robot Wars. It lost in the second round in Series 3 to Suicidal Tendencies, but reached the Heat Final in Series 4, losing to Hypno-Disc.
Design[edit | edit source]
Raizer Blade was a green and blue box wedge-shaped robot with a front plough-like wedge and a reptilian-inspired paint scheme. The robot was made out of aluminium and steel, featured a drive system powered by hydraulics from saloon car brakes and was armed with a large four-bar lifting arm as its main weapon. The robot was powered by 2 750 Watt, 24 Volt motors. The arm operated at a pressure of 2400psi and was powered by an AVS pump from a Ford Granada, which the robot was powerful enough to pull on its own. Some of the parts were taken from the team's previous entry, Kill Dozer.
- "Because we were using hydraulics the mounting points and main load bearing parts were made from steel, as was the lifting arm. The wheels would have to take the full load of our robot plus any lifted weight (another robot) so the whole bottom part of the chassis was also made from steel tube. Our lifting arm is operated by the converted 2 ton bottle jack used in Killdozer."
- — The Raizer Blade website on the construction of Raizer Blade
Raizer Blade featured two rear weapons throughout its appearances: a petrol-powered chainsaw which could raise and lower in Series 3, and a bludgeoning spike for Series 4, which the team called the 'Crucifix of Doom'. Both weapons were interchangeable in Series 3, but only the spike was used in Series 4 in an attempt to improve Raizer Blade's manoeuvrability and to save weight for improvements elsewhere within the robot. As a result of these improvements, Raizer Blade was 1.4 kilos heavier in Series 4 than in Series 3.
The robot cost £718 to build. The wheels and tyres were provided by Kart Sport of Caxton, Marshall Aerospace provided off-cuts of aluminium tubing and sheet which the team used to build some of the chassis and body panels, and Cycle King in Cambridge provided the team with an number of front and rear sprockets from racing cycles and chain for the drive train.
The robot had a top speed of 12mph, and had a high ground clearance at the rear, 50mm, which went down on a gradient to 2mm at the front. In Series 4, two spikes were added, one to each side of the robot, to prevent Raizer Blade become stuck on its side. The tip of the flipper was also widened.
Qualification[edit | edit source]
Raizer Blade was selected for Series 3 after attending the auditions and running the obstacle course. In the Series 4 qualifiers, Raizer Blade fought Terminal Ferocity 2000, and although it was immobilised during the battle, Raizer Blade still won the battle by overturning Terminal Ferocity 2000, once the latter had driven onto Raizer Blade's wedge. As a result, Raizer Blade qualified for the Fourth Wars.
The Team[edit | edit source]
- "Raizer Blade, captained by Paul Hart the driver, Steve Scotcher the tactical expert and Howard Andrews with the beard - his job is, uh, panicking, he says."
- — Jonathan Pearce runs down the team lineup in Series 4
The team comprised of captain Paul Hart, engineering and tactical assistant Steve Scotcher and Howard Andrews, who was responsible for extra welding and other metalwork. All members were work colleagues, with Paul Hart being a Computer Engineer, Steve Scotcher a mechanical engineer, and Howard Andrews being an electronics designer, and the boss of Paul Hart.
They were also assisted by numerous others such as Paul Margiotta, who painted the intricate reptilian artwork on Raizer Blade's armour panels, Mark Goude, who helped them team build wooden mock-ups, and Mick Fordham, who let the team use his workshop.
Robot History[edit | edit source]
Series 3[edit | edit source]
- Philippa Forrester: "Now they're back, with Raizer Blade."
- Paul Hart: "We are."
- Philippa Forrester: "And this time, they're gonna win!"
- Paul Hart: "We are!"
- Philippa Forrester: "And this time, they're gonna really get Sir Killalot, 'cause he got you last time, didn't he?"
- Paul Hart: "He did, put us on the flames last year, but we're gonna get him back this year!"
- — During Philippa's walk around the pits at the start of the Heat
Raizer Blade first appeared in Heat A of the Third Wars, and faced newcomers Red Dragon in its first round battle.
- "Got a hydraulic lift on the front, it's got a chainsaw on the back. So we'll lift them up, turn them over, cut 'em up."
- — Paul Hart during the introduction
Raizer Blade immediately charged into Red Dragon, which turned to dodge. Raizer Blade hit the front claws as Red Dragon turned, then reversed and drove at Red Dragon's side. Raizer Blade pushed Red Dragon across the arena, and Red Dragon tried to turn away, but Raizer Blade got behind it and pushed. Raizer Blade reversed, and charged into Red Dragon's side, but pushed past it and drove into Sgt. Bash. Raizer Blade reversed straight away, then drove around to Red Dragon's side and tried to get its lifter underneath, but struggled to do so, and Red Dragon turned, causing Raizer Blade to drive forwards.
- "Certainly, Raizer Blade looks the more manoeuvrable and clever machine at the moment."
- — Jonathan Pearce
Raizer Blade reversed and drove at Red Dragon, blocking it from getting away from Sergeant Bash. Raizer Blade reversed, and Red Dragon drove onto the arena spikes. Red Dragon reversed as the spikes lowered, and Raizer Blade reversed into it, but then drove forward, straight onto the spikes. The spikes lifted up Raizer Blade, but Raizer Blade reversed off the spikes when they lowered.
- "...meanwhile, Raizer Blade is now on the spikes, I think, trying to bring the chainsaw into play."
- — Jonathan Pearce
Red Dragon pushed against it, then turned away, driving into the top arena wall. Raizer Blade reversed away from the wall, but as it drove forwards, it got the tip of its lifter stuck in the floor. Sgt. Bash came out of his CPZ, pushing Raizer Blade free. Raizer Blade reversed close to Sir Killalot's CPZ, and Sir Killalot chased it. Having seemingly lost drive on one side, leaving it unable to steer away, Raizer Blade drove into Sgt. Bash, who pushed it out of his CPZ.
- "Raizer Blade being pursued by the House Robots, needs to get out of that CPZ area!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Meanwhile, Red Dragon suddenly broke down on its own. Sergeant Bash grabbed it with his jaw, pulling it back, and Sir Killalot proceeded to hook and spin the immobilised Red Dragon over with his lance before dumping it into the pit, allowing Raizer Blade through to the second round. Noticeably during this, Raizer Blade's chainsaw broke off.
- Philippa Forrester: "Right, I've got one question to ask, and I want you to be honest - did you win by skill?"
- Steve Scotcher: "Yeah naturally! Is there any other way?"
- Paul Hart: "I think a little bit of both!"
- — Post-battle interview
In the second round, it faced another newcomer, Suicidal Tendencies.
- "Good robot, looks nice. Unfortunately, runs upside down, so bit of a problem if we turn them over, just gonna keep going! Might be able to do something with the chainsaw and the tracks, though."
- — Paul Hart on his opponent
In the opening seconds, Raizer Blade charged at Suicidal Tendencies, which drove forwards, but turned, allowing Raizer Blade to ram into its side. Raizer Blade tried to push, but couldn't move Suicidal Tendencies, so turned. Suicidal Tendencies slowly moved forwards, and Raizer Blade nudged into it, and tried to get under the back as it turned. Suicidal Tendencies reversed over Raizer Blade's front wedge, and reversed up the arena. After a pause, Raizer Blade drove at Suicidal Tendencies, getting at its side, but Suicidal Tendencies drove forwards and turned. Raizer Blade and Suicidal Tendencies pushed against each other's side, and Suicidal Tendencies reversed away as Raizer Blade tried getting under its side. Raizer Blade drove after it, driving around it to try and get under the back, but turned too far and missed. Suicidal Tendencies turned and drove at Raizer Blade, but merely drove up the front wedge. Raizer Blade tried to push Suicidal Tendencies, but Suicidal Tendencies reversed off the wedge as it was pushed around. Suicidal Tendencies drove at the side of Raizer Blade, but Raizer Blade drove around and tried to get under the side of its opponent.
- "The side motor panel looks to be a little bit vulnerable, I think, on Raizer Blade. There, you can see it there. Ooh, and immediately Suicidal Tendencies driving at that panel!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Suicidal Tendencies rams Raizer Blade
Suicidal Tendencies turned, Raizer Blade tried to get under it again, but failed, and Suicidal Tendencies turned around Raizer Blade and drove away. Suicidal Tendencies turned and drove at Raizer Blade's back corner and pushed, until Raizer Blade turned. However, Suicidal Tendencies suddenly lost drive to one of its tracks. Raizer Blade got under the side of Suicidal Tendencies and pushed it across the arena. Raizer Blade drove around Suicidal Tendencies and pushed it away from the wall. Raizer Blade then got around the other side of Suicidal Tendencies and pushed it towards the pit.
- "...and very much, Raizer Blade on top and in control!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Raizer Blade pushes Suicidal Tendencies around
Having pushed Suicidal Tendencies close to the pit, Raizer Blade reversed to line up another charge, pushing Suicidal Tendencies right to the edge. Raizer Blade tried to nudge it in, then drove up the arena for another charge. Raizer Blade drove at the side of Suicidal Tendencies, but as it tried to pit its opponent, Suicidal Tendencies turned at just the right moment, causing Raizer Blade to drive over the edge of the pit, so the front of the robot was hanging over the edge, leaving the robot stuck.
- "Well they’re doing a brilliant job – OH MY GOODNESS ME! Raizer Blade… has driven itself onto the verge of the pit! What a turn up this is! Completely in control and Raizer Blade in real problems here now!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Raizer Blade gets itself stuck on the edge of the pit
Raizer Blade wobbled as it hung over the edge, not falling in but unable to get back to the arena, so Sir Killalot came out of his CPZ and lifted it out of the pit with his lance. Raizer Blade rammed into the side of Suicidal Tendencies, then reversed, and got under the other side. Suicidal Tendencies slipped off the edge as Raizer Blade pushed. Raizer Blade reversed and pushed at the side of Suicidal Tendencies, trying to push Suicidal Tendencies to the flame pit, but Suicidal Tendencies turned. Raizer Blade reversed and drove around, Suicidal Tendencies, ramming into it again. ‘Cease’ was called, and the battle went to a judges’ decision. The judges ruled in favour of Suicidal Tendencies, a decision that the Raizer Blade team disagreed with proved unpopular with the audience, many of whom started booing.
- Paul Hart: "We tried to push them in the pit, if we'd had just left them and drove around, we'd have won! We tried to get them in the pit, make a bit of a game of it, but we..."
- Philippa Forrester: "Ended up in the pit!"
- Paul Hart: "If Killalot had got us out earlier, we wouldn't have been disqualified."
- Philippa Forrester: "Ah, but did Killalot mean to get you out?"
- Steve Scotcher: "Yes, course he did! He's our mate!"
- — Post-battle interview
Series 4[edit | edit source]
- "We're hoping to do well, if we get mullered by the House Robots, we're happy with that as well!"
- — Paul Hart during Raizer Blade's introduction
- "There is a key robot in this melee, and I certainly wouldn't want to be Raizer Blade! ... Say a couple of prayers!"
- — Julia Reed before the battle
Raizer Blade charged between its two opponents straight into the middle of the arena, then held back as Hypno-Disc attacked The Predator. Raizer Blade charged after Hypno-Disc, driving at its side, but failed to get the flipper underneath, and Hypno-Disc turned and hit Raizer Blade's side. Raizer Blade turned and reversed at Hypno-Disc, trying to attack it with "the crucifix of doom", but Hypno-Disc was too low to be hit by it. Hypno-Disc drove past, then drove back at Raizer Blade, knocking it aside with the spinning disc. After this attack, Raizer Blade lost drive on one side, rocking back and forth. Hypno-Disc then went back after The Predator, ripping loose the back armour, and ripping of one of the back wheels. Raizer Blade rushed at the side of Hypno-Disc and lifted it up, but Hypno-Disc slipped off the lifter and landed back on its wheels.
- "...little nudge from Raizer Blade, bravely on Hypno-Disc!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Raizer Blade lifts Hypno Disc
Hypno-Disc reversed, but Raizer Blade couldn't move away, and Hypno-Disc drove back at Raizer Blade, hitting the side and cutting a large gash in it, then hit The Predator. Raizer Blade tried spinning as Hypno-Disc went back after it, but Hypno-Disc hit it with the spinning disc, knocking it aside.
- "Are Raizer Blade just sitting there? I wonder if it’s been immobilised on the arena floor – no! Just rather cunningly - or stupidly - trying to draw Hypno-Disc on!"
- — Jonathan Pearce observes Raizer Blade’s lack of forward mobility following its attack on Hypno-Disc
The Predator reversed into Raizer Blade, and Hypno-Disc slammed into The Predator, knocking out the batteries. Both Raizer Blade and The Predator were immobile by this point, and Hypno-Disc landed a glancing blow on Raizer Blade, then hit The Predator, knocking it aside, then smashed the battery. ‘Cease’ was called, and the judges ruled that Raizer Blade would progress to the second round along with Hypno-Disc, having being judged to have sustained far less damage than The Predator during the battle.
- "Hypno-Disc batters everything! The only saving grace for Raizer Blade is that it sustained less damage, so Raizer Blade and Hypno-Disc go through"
- — Craig Charles after the battle
- Julia Reed: "Well, it's been touch and go getting here, hasn't it, because you took a lot of damage in the melee from Hypno-Disc. What's the situation now, how strong are you?"
- Paul Hart: "Well, we tried to repair as much of the damage as we can, we hope we're good enough to get through this next round and then fight them again! Hopefully win!"
- — Pre-Round 2 interview
Raizer Blade charged straight at Terror-Bull, which didn't move at the start, but didn't get under the side with its initial charge. Terror-Bull tried to get under Raizer Blade's side, so Raizer Blade reversed. The two robots drove back at each other, but neither robot got underneath with their lifter, with Terror-Bull missing as it lifted. Terror-Bull reversed, but Raizer Blade lost drive on one side. Terror-Bull rammed into the side of Raizer Blade, but was deflected on impact and Raizer Blade turned, so Terror-Bull missed with the lifter. Raizer Blade span on the spot, and Terror-Bull drove back into Raizer Blade, before driving onto an arena flame jet, trying to set its tail alight. With the tail alight, Terror-Bull drove off the flame jets, but then turned and drove back onto the flame jet, spinning around on it. It then reversed into Raizer Blade, but stopped moving, having burned out its own motors. Raizer Blade pushed Terror-Bull around in circles, trying to get its lifter underneath. Raizer Blade tried to lift Terror-Bull, but the lifter wasn't properly under, so only managed to lift Raizer Blade a little.
- "...Raizer Blade, with a broadside, could perhaps topple Terror-Bull."
- — Jonathan Pearce as Raizer Blade tries to lift Terror-Bull
Raizer Blade rocked back and forth, pushing Terror-Bull a little, and Raizer Blade managed to lift Terror-Bull a little again. Raizer Blade span on the spot, and the House Robots moved in to attack Terror-Bull. As Dead Metal attacked Terror-Bull, Raizer Blade continued to spin, hitting Shunt, which pushed Raizer Blade and tried to axe it, but Raizer Blade reversed, dodging the axe blow. Raizer Blade reversed into Dead Metal as he drove down the arena, reversing alongside him. Cease was called, and despite losing drive on one side, Raizer Blade was through to the Heat Final.
- "Well, Terror-Bull, turned into mincemeat! Raizer Blade through by the skin of their teeth!"
- — Craig Charles announces Raizer Blade’s progression
In the Heat Final, Raizer Blade faced Hypno-Disc for the second time. Leading up to the battle, the team faced difficulty with getting the robot’s speed controllers working properly in the testing area, despite having changed speed controllers twice, the robot kept losing drive on one side. Paul Hart then revealed to Julia Reed just before the battle that its hydraulic systems was leaking, the team didn't have a pump, and they still couldn't get the speed controller working.
- Paul Hart: "Basically, she's bleeding to death! The hydraulics systems is leaking like a sieve, we haven't got a pump, 'cause the gas bits have all gone on that. We've got half a speed controller, so we're hoping to keep it running just long enough to run away, but I'll be very lucky if we survive this intact!"
- Julia Reed: "Or even get onto the arena floor! But the audience are cheering for you, and they want carnage!"
- Paul Hart: "We were hoping to give them a good show, we wanna give them a good show, so we're here! If we get smashed to pieces, that's fine but we gave them a good show."
- — Paul Hart explains the problems to Julia Reed
Raizer Blade was actually booed by many of the audience whilst being introduced before the battle.
At the start, Raizer Blade failed to move forwards properly, turning back and forth. Hypno-Disc rushed over and struck the side with its flywheel, cutting a large gash in it.
- "This is like putting the heavyweight boxing champion of the world in against .... my Gran."
- — Jonathan Pearce as the Heat Final begins
As Hypno-Disc reversed to get its flywheel up to speed, Raizer Blade tried spinning on the spot, but Hypno-Disc cautiously approached and hit Raizer Blade. This impact stopped Raizer Blade's spinning and completely immobilised it, with Raizer Blade rolling to a halt. Hypno-Disc hit the back, then the side, knocking Raizer Blade to one of the wall-mounted flame jets. The Raizer Blade team knew their robot was immobile, and gave up trying to control it.
- ""That's it from us!", that's almost the message, "Well, we've done all we can, now let's just retreat onto the arena flames!" Raizer Blade has the steering problems, the pneumatic problems. It's now a question of how much damage Hypno-Disc wants to cause, because you can see quite clearly, it's all over for Razier Blade!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Raizer Blade lies immobile
Hypno-Disc held back as it got its spinning disc up to full speed, then hit the side of Raizer blade, ripping its whole right-hand side panel off. Hypno-Disc hit the side panel, sending it flying aside, and hit the back of Raizer Blade. Hypno-Disc retreated as the House Robots came in, with Dead Metal grabbing it from behind and pulling it, then Sir Killalot grabbed it with his claw and spinning it around.
- "A shame really, that the Heat Final petered out so early because of the problems to Raizer Blade, but you can't take it away from Hypno-Disc, it has caused so many problems, and it caused problems to Raizer Blade in the very, very first battle in this Heat."
- — Jonathan Pearce as the House Robots attack Raizer Blade
Dead Metal grabbed Raizer Blade and pushed it towards the floor flipper, and Shunt and Dead Metal put it in position. Hypno-Disc reversed into it, and Dead Metal lined it up properly so it could be thrown. Raizer Blade rolled over, and Shunt axed it, getting his axe stuck. Sir Killalot had to pull Raizer Blade free. ‘Cease’ was called, and Raizer Blade was eliminated from the Fourth Wars.
- "What a shame guys, you kind of, you lost your drive, you lost your power, didn't you? ... And then, losing you power and being up against Hypno-Disc! The gods were not smiling on you!"
- — Craig Charles to the Raizer Blade team after the battle
It was later revealed after the Heat Final that the Raizer Blade and Hypno-Disc teams had held a Gentleman's Agreement, which ensured that Raizer Blade would be immobilised without sustaining too much damage from Hypno-Disc’s disc.
- "Raizer Blade were brave and top sportsmen to continue in to final battle. Knowing his difficulties we agreed to be more stand-off-ish, in the time honoured robot wars 'Gentleman's Agreement'"
- — Hypno-Disc website
Results[edit | edit source]
|RAIZER BLADE - RESULTS|
|The Third Wars - UK Championship|
Heat, Round 2
|Heat A, Round 1||vs. Red Dragon||Won|
|Heat A, Round 2||vs. Suicidal Tendencies||Lost|
|The Fourth Wars - UK Championship|
|Heat P, Eliminator||vs. Hypno-Disc (2), The Predator||Qualified|
|Heat P, Semi-Final||vs. Terror-Bull||Won|
|Heat P, Final||vs. Hypno-Disc (2)||Lost|
Wins/Losses[edit | edit source]
- Wins: 3
- Losses: 2
Series Record[edit | edit source]
|Series||Raizer Blade Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Entered with Kill Dozer|
|The Third Wars||Heat, Round 2|
|The Fourth Wars||Heat Final|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
Outside Robot Wars[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Raizer Blade was originally intended to have six wheels, but due the weight and complexity involved, the team decided to only have two.
- The first stage in the construction of Raizer Blade was the building of a wooden prototype to determine the correct gear ratios for the motors and wheels.
- "The robot needed to be quick but also it needed lots of pushing power. Using wood allowed us to make very quick changes to the positioning of motors and gears as they were just screwed own using wood screws."
- — The Raizer Blade website on building a prototype
- Paul Hart's father paid for the Bosch motors used in Raizer Blade, having enjoyed watching Kill Dozer in Series 2.
- In the two series Raizer Blade competed in, it competed in the first (Series 3) and last (Series 4) heat.
- Both Raizer Blade and The Predator were treated as newcomers in Heat P of Series 4, despite both Raizer Blade and Team Predator having previously competed in Series 3; the latter with Crippler.
- However, Raizer Blade's Series 4 introduction contradicts this, as Paul Hart briefly refers to its participation in Series 3 when he highlights the replacement of its chainsaw with the rear spike.
- Raizer Blade lost drive on one side in all but one of its five battles.
- Of the four Heat Finalists that lost to the eventual Series 4 Grand Finalists, only Raizer Blade did not reach the top eight in a subsequent series, as it did not return for Series 5 or any other series thereafter.
References[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]