Rawbot was a Swedish robot which competed in two international championships held throughout the original series of Robot Wars. It represented Sweden in the European Championship and The Third World Championship, losing in the first round on both occasions to Philipper 2 and Tough as Nails respectively.
Rawbot's first-round battle in the European Championship not only proved to be its first-ever battle, but also the first time it was driven by its team, as the robot was untested prior to the battle.
Design[edit | edit source]
- "Rawbot is a heavyweight 100 kg, powered by two electric motors. The steering is so-called tank control, which means that the wheels on each side are locked to each other, i.e. the right front wheel is locked to the right rear wheel. The armament consists of fixed spikes, as well as a very powerful drilling machine."
- — Rawbot website, translated into English
Rawbot was a black, four-wheel drive, invertible box-shaped robot with an emphasis on high traction, manoeuvrability and pushing power. It was notable for having its internal components being suspended by rubber grommets, which were designed to withstand heavy impacts. Rawbot's weapons consisted of thick spikes and an electric drill, however, these proved ineffective in battle. In addition, the robot was untested, featured a low top speed of 5mph and lack of front wedge; the latter meant it had a high ground clearance on all sides.
Robot History[edit | edit source]
Extreme 2/German Robot Wars[edit | edit source]
- Philippa Forrester: "It's brand new, it's so new, look I can show you it's still got the nodules on the tyres. Oh, and look how shiny and beautiful it is. You've never fought before?"
- Anders Sandberg: "Nope, never ever."
- — Rawbot's pre-match interview
Rawbot was placed up against Philipper 2 in the first round of the European Championship. In the battle, Rawbot slammed into Philipper 2, but was tossed aside by the flipper of the Belgian robot. Attacking again, both robots were tipped off balance as Philipper 2's flipper caught in Rawbot's framework. The robots drove in a circle and were released, before Philipper missed a flip. Philipper 2 then pushed Rawbot, using its crusher and pushed it into the side wall.
- "This is more a war of attrition - the others have been more wham-bam."
- — Jonathan Pearce
Rawbot activated the pit, before being pushed almost into the pit. Luckily for Rawbot, Philipper 2 flipped it over the pit so that it did not fall down. However, Philipper 2 caught Rawbot soon after, pierced a gap in its framework with the crusher, before steering to the open pit to push Rawbot down.
- "It's an unusual machine, it's well-designed, it's also, erm... beaten! The Swedes, rooted to the spot in the Pit of Oblivion!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Series 7[edit | edit source]
Rawbot was scheduled to fight Italian robot Zeus in a qualifier battle for the Third World Championship. However, Zeus broke down before the battle started and was forced to withdraw, allowing Rawbot to automatically qualify for the World Championship. There, it was planned to face Dutch competitor Tough as Nails and recently-crowned UK Champion Typhoon 2 in the first round.
Before the battle started, Typhoon 2 pulled out due to Team Typhoon having used their last set of batteries for their Middleweight Championship entry, so Rawbot and Tough as Nails were left to fight alone. In the opening seconds, Rawbot was bumped away by Tough as Nails, but skillfully avoided the latter's pincers by spinning and driving away towards the far wall. However, it was soon bumped and caught side-on by Tough as Nails, which grabbed Rawbot by the side and rammed it against the corner of the pit release button. Rawbot was lifted onto two wheels as Tough as Nails clamped down and spun it round, before being slowly manoeuvred towards the open pit by the Dutch representative.
- "...and Rawbot, already in peril here. It is flippable, can run both ways up... but it won't survive the pit and needs to get away from there, Rawbot. 100kg in weight... and the weight drops. Rawbot gone, very quickly."
- — Jonathan Pearce as Rawbot is pitted by Tough as Nails
Rawbot stood immobile as Tough as Nails backed away, before being bumped several times towards and over the pit edge. Eventually, Tough as Nails pushed it fully in, eliminating Rawbot - and Sweden - from The Third World Championship.
Results[edit | edit source]
|RAWBOT - RESULTS|
|Extreme Series 2/German Robot Wars|
Representing Sweden, Round 1
|Round 1||vs. Philipper 2 (BEL)||Lost|
|The Third World Championship|
Representing Sweden, Eliminated in Heats
|Heat||vs. Tough as Nails (NED), Typhoon 2 (UK)||Eliminated|
|NOTE: Before the battle had started, a lack of available batteries forced Typhoon 2 out of the competition, leaving Tough as Nails and Rawbot to fight alone.|
Wins/Losses[edit | edit source]
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 2
Series Record[edit | edit source]
|Main Series||Rawbot Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Third World Championship, Round 1|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
|Robot Wars Extreme||Appearances|
|Series 1||Did not enter|
|Series 2||European Championship, Round 1|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Rawbot is one of only two Swedish robots ever to compete in Robot Wars, the other being Whirlpool 70.
- Neither robot ever won a televised battle.
- Coincidentally, both of Rawbot's defeats involved it being pitted by its opponents.
[edit | edit source]