- "To educate all you first timers, we've enlisted the help of boybands, soap stars, and a whole host of beautiful people, who should know better, but don't!"
- — Craig Charles
The Celebrity Special (or Celebrity Robot Wars) was an event held during the Christmas Specials of Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars. This tournament featured eight teams, each of which was paired off with a celebrity captain for the competition. The robots fought in a straight knock-out tournament to determine the champion. The Celebrity Special was originally broadcast on December 27, 2000 on BBC One, the only episode of Robot Wars to air on this channel. According to BARB, it ranked outside the top thirty highest rated BBC One broadcasts during 25-31 December.
As a Celebrity Special, the rules dictated that a celebrity driver had to control their machine for sixty seconds before they could then hand the controls over to the roboteers.
Competing robots & celebrities
|Wild Thing (Shauna Lowry)|
|Dimensions||0.46 x 0.76 x 0.92m|
|Power||2 x Electric motors|
|Weapons||Lifting arm and lance|
|Notes||Integral self-righting mechanism|
|From: Aldershot, Hampshire|
|Team Members: Nick Adams, Isabelle Adams & Jake Adams|
|Diotoir (Vic Reeves)|
|Dimensions||0.80 x 0.80 x 0.40m|
|Power||Electric Powered Motors|
|Weapons||Spring loaded lifting arm|
|Team Members: Peter Redmond & Ciaran Bryne|
|Gemini (Anthea & Wendy Turner)|
|Dimensions||0.80 x 0.80 x 0.40m|
|Power||2 x Wheelchair motors|
|Weapons||2 x Pneumatic flippers|
|From: St Leonards-on-Sea|
|Team Members: Shane Howard, Brian Fountain & Daryl Howard|
|Killertron (Chris Eubank)|
|Dimensions||0.70 x 1.10 x 1.15m|
|Power||2 x 24 Volt motors|
|Notes||Came 3rd in Series 2|
|From: Maidstone, Kent|
|Team Members: Richard Broad, Abdul Degia & Ian Degia|
|Sir Chromalot (Shane Lynch)|
|Dimensions||0.50 x 0.65 x 0.22m|
|Power||4 x Drill motors|
|Weapons||18" Drill and cobalt cutter|
|From: South Ockendon, Essex|
|Team Members: Steve Merrill & Dave Whitehead|
|Dimensions||1.20 x 0.30 x 1.70m|
|Power||3 x 750 Watt motors|
|Weapons||Flywheel on front|
|Notes||Can run upside-down|
|From: York University|
|Team Members: Mark Marshall, Nick Bullock & Oliver Reed-Smith|
|Pussycat (Adam Woodyatt)|
|Dimensions||0.56 x 0.76 x 0.43m|
|Power||Electric powered motors|
|Notes||Hand painted by Alan|
|Team Members: Alan Gribble, Robert Bettington & David Gribble|
|Iron-Awe (Natalie Cassidy)|
|Dimensions||0.70 x 1.00 x 0.70m|
|Power||Electric powered motors|
|Notes||Made from packaging machinery|
|From: Low Ham, Somerset|
|Team Members: Gilbert Grimm & Robert Grimm|
Vic Reeves & Diotoir vs Shauna Lowry & Wild Thing
Wild Thing was decorated with a photo of Shauna Lowry and wig on its wedge, along with numerous toy rabbits on its lifting arm and lottery balls attached to the top. Diotoir was was fitted with a pair of oversized glasses paying homage to those worn by Reeves, a set of rubber buttocks attached to the rear and a novelty frying pan attached to the lifter, which Ciarán Byrne jokingly claimed was intended to throw pancakes at opponents. The team were also joined by Vic Reeves' daughter Alice. Before the fight, Vic Reeves had allegedly cut the head off of one of the rabbits on Wild Thing's arm and put it in the aforementioned frying pan.
- Shauna Lowry: " He's already sabotaged our robot!"
- Julia Reed: "What's he done?"
- Shauna Lowry: "He's cut the head off of one of our bunnies!"
- — Shauna Lowry after discovering that a toy bunny had been decapitated.
At the beginning, Wild Thing charged at Diotoir, whilst Diotoir span around and fired its weapon, causing the frying pan to fly off. Wild Thing span around as it got close to the back of Diotoir, then drove at Diotoir's rear and tried to push. Diotoir turned around Wild Thing and drove past it, and Wild Thing drove away. The two robots turned, and as they charged at each other, Diotoir drove over a flame jet, setting the fur alight on one side.
- "...and Diotoir is on fire! That polka-dot design may look natty, but it's flammable, and you don't see too many robots in Robot Wars with a flammable design!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Diotoir's fur catches fire
Wild Thing reversed into Diotoir, driving straight into the side that was on fire. As Wild Thing pushed against Diotoir, Sergeant Bash came out of his CPZ and torched Diotoir, making the inferno even larger. Wild Thing reversed, then charged into Diotoir, getting under the side, but as it pushed, Diotoir slipped off and Diotoir drove into the arena wall. Diotoir took advantage, pinning it against the wall. It tried to get the flipper underneath, but fired too early, before it got the flipper underneath, so missed. Wild Thing got away, and as Diotoir turned to drive after it, the giant comical glasses hit the wall and fell off. Diotoir caught up with Wild Thing near the arena centre, but Wild Thing got at the side of Diotoir, using the tip of the wedge and the lifter to push it down the arena, into Sergeant Bash, who was out of his CPZ.
- "All right, I'm pushing it, I'm pushing it!"
- — Shauna Lowry responds to the advice of Nick Adams
Wild Thing drove around Diotoir, and the two competitors span around together, but Wild Thing drove into Sergeant Bash. Wild Thing tried to push past, but Diotoir got behind it and pushed it into the arena wall. It tried to get its flipper under Wild Thing, but Wild Thing turned off the flipper, causing Diotoir to miss. Wild Thing could not get away however, as Sergeant Bash blocked its way. Wild Thing turned away, but drove into the arena wall. Sergeant Bash set the toy rabbits on fire, and Wild Thing could not move away from the wall.
- "And Shauna gives up the controls now to Nick Adams, taking over, because Wild Thing is in trouble! The bunnies are on fire!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Wild Thing was immobile, and the House Robots came in. Matilda rammed Wild Thing against the wall, lifting it up with her forks. She reversed, dropping Wild Thing. Meanwhile, Sir Killalot held with his claw, whilst Sergeant Bash blasted it with his flamethrower. Wild Thing suddenly came back to life, ramming into Diotoir, but Sir Killalot grabbed Wild Thing with his claw and picked it up. Sir Killalot span Wild Thing around, and the pit opened, so Sir Killalot took Diotoir to the pit and dropped it in.
- Shauna Lowry: "It was the House Robot that got us in the end, it wasn't them!"
- Vic Reeves: "We was just chasing you around, were'nt we?"
- Shauna Lowry: "No, absolutely! You were playing safe!"
- Vic Reeves: "(Mock anger) Whoah! How dare you madam!"
- — The two celebrities after the battle
Winner: Vic Reeves & Diotoir
Chris Eubank & Killertron vs The Turner Sisters & Gemini
- "....next up, brawn against beauty!"
- — Jonathan Pearce before the battle
Gemini was decorated with wigs and eyes placed on top of the clusterbots, with one of them having a wand decorating on top of the flipper, whilst Killertron had boxing gloves over the axe and side bars, two fake eyes were added to the top, with a giant monocle over one of them, and the armour was repainted black and red.
One of the Gemini twins sped out towards Killertron as it slowly moved forward, then veered away as Killertron swung the axe. Killertron missed, and the Gemini twin got at the side of the axe. Killertron reversed, then drove at the Gemini twin, which drove straight at Killertron, and Killertron fired the axe, but narrowly missed. Killertron reversed, with its monocle falling off. Killertron drove towards the Gemini twins, and one of them got under the side and flipped Killerton up on its side, but it fell back on its wheels.
- "You can hear the Turners, the girls squealing in delight!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Gemini flips Killertron over the flame jet
The other half of Gemini also drove into Killertron, and the two Gemini twins pushed Killertron onto a flame jet, then flicked Killertron back using their flippers. Killertron lay still, firing the axe, and one half of Gemini got under the front corner of Killertron and flipped, but only managed to lift it up a little. Killertron fell off the flipper, and turned away, but it was not fully mobile, with complaining it wasn't working.
- "You can see there, Richard Broad trying to get control perhaps of Killertron, back from Chris. It's... ill-advised!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Chris Eubank struggles to control Killertron
However, it could not get away, and the Gemini half drove at the front of Killertron again and flipped it, but as it did so, Killertron fired the axe, which caught the Gemini half, causing it to topple forwards as it flipped Killertron. The other half of Gemini drove back and forth, but did not come in to right its other half. Matilda came out of her CPZ, ramming into the Gemini half to push it back onto its wheels. As she pushed past Gemini, she rammed into Killertron, flipping it over with her tusks, although she then flipped it back over with her tusks.
- "Unbelievable, isn't it - Chris packs a punch 4 times bigger than Killertron, but not as big as the Turner girls! Look at that, with also Matilda coming into the fray, and Killertron flipped up and over!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Killertron is flipped over by Matilda
One half of Gemini got behind Killertron, whilst the other one drove to the side, and Killertron was flipped up by the Gemini half under its back. Killertron balanced up on its front, resting on the axe, and the other Gemini half flipped it again, but failed to get it over, with Killertron falling back onto its wheels. Killertron landed with its axe, clad in a boxing glove, hanging by the flame pit, and Sgt. Bash blasted it with his flamethrower, whilst one half of Gemini flipped Killertron up on its side.
- "Chris Eubank, and there he is with the boxing glove on fire I think of Killertron! There's one half of Gemini. Are they sisters of mercy? ... Killertron in major, major trouble!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Killertron is set on fire and flipped
As it did so, it got its flipper under one of Killertron's wheels, and used it to lift it over the flame jet and drop it there. With Killertron immobile, Sgt. Bash came over to set fire to the boxing glove, whilst Matilda got the other side of Killertron and shredded the glove with her chainsaw. As she did so, one half of Gemini got at her side and flipped her over. Sir Killalot righted Matilda with his lance, and time ran out.
- "Have a look at the tenacity of the Turner girls, straight from the start, attacking Chris Eubank and Killertron, trying to flick it up and over. Killertron with the glove of courses, that caused problems later on for Chris when it caught fire! Gemini did more of the attacking for me!"
- — Jonathan Pearce reviews the highlights
The battle went to the Judges, who voted Gemini through, though Chris Eubank strongly disagreed.
- "This was a set up man! There should be a rematch here! Come on, ladies and gentlemen, will you back me up here? Fix! Fix, fix, fix, fix!"
- — Chris Eubank makes accusations
During the battle, the wig fell off one of the Gemini halves and wrapped around the drive shaft, nearly immobilising it.
- "I had to reverse to release it, and we nearly lost."
- — Shane Howard, interviewed in Ultimate Real Robots magazine
Winner: The Turner sisters & Gemini
Shane Lynch & Sir Chromalot vs Five & Disc-O-Inferno
- "It's time for some real smash hits, as we let the battle of the boy bands begin!"
- — Craig Charles just before the battle
Disc-O-Inferno had little decoration added to it, compared to the other robots in the episode, with only Five logos being added to the top and sides. Sir Chromalot had a chrome blanket wrapped around the self-righting mechanism, and toy cars placed on top of the body, due to driver Shane Lynch being a professional drift driver. Before the battle, Julia Reed accused J Brown of Five of attempting to grease Sir Chromalot's wheels
- Julia Reed: "Now I'd like you to explain something to me young man. I saw you greasing up their wheels earlier, under the bench!"
- J Brown: "No! You see, you've got it all wrong! What happened right, I was greasing like my hands up and everything, I was walking along, Abz tripped me up, I slipped and my hand just went under the wheel, and that's what you saw!"
- Julia Reed: "It's very telling that, isn't it?"
- — Pre-battle interview with Five
The match started with Sir Chromalot driving at Disc-O-Inferno, but Disc-O-Inferno turned away. Disc-O-Inferno turned around, and tried to drive away as Sir Chromalot chased after it, but it drove into the arena wall. Sir Chromalot got at the side with its drills, but Disc-O-Inferno reversed and turned around Sir Chromalot. Disc-O-Inferno drove across the arena, driving over the floor flipper, and Sir Chromalot drove after it. Disc-O-Inferno turned to hit the front of Sir Chromalot, but the disc did no damage. Disc-O-Inferno tried driving away, but drove into the arena wall again.
- "That's bad steering by J! And they could be in trouble, are they manoeuvrable? I think they are just about!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Disc-O-Inferno drives into the wall, then limps down the arena
It drove down the arena, away from the wall, but stopped close to Sgt. Bash's CPZ. Disc-O-Inferno reversed into the arena wall, and Sgt. Bash came out of his CPZ and pushed it. Sir Chromalot drove after Disc-O-Inferno, but drove onto the flame pit, and became stuck there, the decorative silver cloak burning off.
- "Oh no, he's get himself in trouble as well, on the flame pit! The superficial chrome has been burnt off! All the controls are in the bottom there, though, I think they'll be okay!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Sir Chromalot gets stuck on the flame pit
Sgt. Bash came out of his CPZ, blasting Sir Chromalot with his flamethrower and pushing it off the flame pit. Sir Chromalot drove up the arena to Disc-O-Inferno, which had broken down outside of Dead Metal's CPZ. Dead Metal came to the edge of his CPZ to push Disc-O-Inferno towards the floor flipper, and Sir Chromalot got behind it and pushed it onto the floor flipper.
- "Sorry! Sorry about that, we got a technical problem!"
- — Five announce their robot's immobilisation
Disc-O-Inferno was thrown straight into Sir Chromalot, which had failed to get out of the way as it drove past. The pit opened, Sir Killalot grabbed Disc-O-Inferno with his claw, picked up and spun around with it, tossing it aside, with Disc-O-Inferno landing by the pit. Sir Killalot picked Disc-O-Inferno up with his claw again, and picked it up, and dropped it into the pit.
- J Brown: "There was no need to do that, man!"
- Jonathan Pearce: "Oh there is J, if you're immobilised, because in this you've got to "Keep On Movin'", otherwise "We Will Rock You" "Tntil he Time Was Through For You",! If you're "Getting Down", you'll be in the pit of oblivion, right now!"
- — Jonathan Pearce makes a series of puns about Five songs
Winner: Shane Lynch & Sir Chromalot
Adam Woodyatt & Pussycat vs Natalie Cassidy & Iron-Awe
Pussycat was decorated with a large map of London and bag of fish & chips, in reference to EastEnders, which both of the celebrities were stars in, and the fish and chip shop that Woodyatt's character, Ian Beale, owned in the show at the time. Iron-Awe was garbed in 'L' plates, due to Natalie Cassidy's inexperience with the controls, and in reference to her taking driving tests at the time of filming.
As the robots were preparing to go into the arena, Iron-Awe's front wheels jammed, and consequently had to be quickly repaired by Robert and Gilbert Grimm. Luckily, the robot took to the arena without any noticeable hindrance to the controls.
- "I cannot believe what is happening! It's always me! It's always me, right! We was over there about five minutes ago, getting ready, sorting out, fine. Suddenly, the two front wheels sort of jam, and we're nowhere! We're not even on the floor, we wasn't even doing anything! I was like "What is going on?"!"
- — Natalie Cassidy to Julia Reed before the battle
The two robots both started slowly, cautiously approaching each other, but then Pussycat turned away from Iron-Awe, and Iron-Awe drove past and drove around, keeping away from Pussycat. Pussycat turned around and charged at Iron-Awe, which fired a wildly off-target axe blow. Pussycat attacked the side, and Iron-Awe fired the axe again, completely missing as it was facing away from Pussycat.
- "Very slow and steady progress"
- — Jonathan Pearce in the early stages of the battle
Pussycat turned around, drove past Iron-Awe, then turned and rammed into the front of Iron-Awe, ramming it up the arena. However, as it did so, it drove up on the top of Iron-Awe, and Iron-Awe fired the axe to flip Pussycat off the top, with the fish and chips falling off. Pussycat reversed against Iron-Awe, and Iron-Awe fired the axe again, but the axe handle hit the back of Pussycat, meaning the axe did no damage. Pussycat flipped and wheeled away, but Iron-Awe had stopped moving, and Cassidy soon passed the controls on to Robert Grimm. Pussycat charged back at Iron-Awe, and Iron-Awe fired the axe, but only landed a glancing blow on the wheels.
- "I'm not too sure whether the blade is working, but they're on the attack again on Iron-Awe, and Natalie..."
- — Jonathan Pearce notices that Pussycat's blade is not spinning as it attacks Iron-Awe
Iron-Awe continued to fire the axe, but could not drive after Pussycat, and Pussycat drove around the arena. Iron-Awe managed to turn, and suddenly drove forwards, but drove into the arena wall. Pussycat slammed into Iron-Awe's side, causing the NAT 1 license plate attached to Iron-Awe to shatter as Pussycat and its blade made contact, much to Cassidy's dismay.
- "No wonder she's got L-plate stickers on there!"
- — Jonathan Pearce on Natalie Cassidy's performance
Iron-Awe was unable to move away from the wall, and Dead Metal came out of his CPZ, getting his arms around Iron-Awe and cutting into the front. Iron-Awe weakly fired the axe, which missed, but then suddenly started moving again, pushing Dead Metal back. Dead Metal let Iron-Awe go, but Iron-Awe drove straight into Matilda, who lifted it up as it fired the axe at her, having no impact. As Matilda was lifting Iron-Awe up, Pussycat charged into its rear, getting under the back and turning the robot onto its side.
- "I wonder if it'll be Iron all washed up here! Well they throught they'd ironed out all their problems, but they haven't, perhaps they were a bit iron-fisted in their approach!"
- — Jonathan Pearce on Iron-Awe's immobility
Pussycat rolled up against Iron-Awe, pushing towards the flame pit, and Iron-Awe fired the axe, but instead of righting the robot, the axe pushed it onto the flame pit, where it was stuck on its back, where the message, 'It's not all over till its over', was revealed.
- "It's not all over till its over- it is now! I've always wanted to say that, by the way!"
- — Jonathan Pearce does a bad impression of Kenneth Wolstenholme
Sergeant Bash blasted Iron-Awe with his flamethrower, and Sir Killalot grabbed the wooden axe handle with his claw and snapped off the axe. The pit opened, and Sergeant Bash grabbed the axe handle with his jaw and pulled it off of the flame pit. He and Matilda attacked, and Sir Killalot grabbed the front with his claw and lifted Iron-Awe up.
- "It's a bit cruel innit?"
- — Adam Woodyatt as the House Robots attack Iron-Awe
Finally, Sir Killalot carried Iron-Awe to the pit and dropped it in. then pushed Iron-Awe into Sir Killalot, who plucked it up and pitted it.
- Natalie Cassidy: "It wasn't my fault, I promise everyone it wasn't!"
- Craig Charles: "What happened?"
- Natalie Cassidy: "No, the battery ran out, halfway through, and some horrible creature cut our axe off, our weapon. Axe went, was on fire, all went wrong!"
- Craig Charles: "You were toast in the end, I mean the thing was smouldering, weren't it!"
- Natalie Cassidy: "Absolutely gone, look at it! Can't believe it, I really liked it as well. I'd like to take it home though, but there we go."
- — Post-battle interview
After the battle, Natalie Cassidy revealed that Iron-Awe's battery had run out, and Adam Woodyatt explained Pussycat's cutting disc wasn't working as it had not been connected. After Craig Charles suggested the two EastEnders stars should work together, Natalie Cassidy went to join her EastEnders co-star on the Pussycat team.
- "Well the Grimms are out, but I said I was going to win, so I'm joining Adam's team, to be... not "girls vs boys", but "Eastenders vs whoever"!"
- — Natilie Cassidy changes allegiances
Winner: Adam Woodyatt & Pussycat
Gemini vs Diotoir
- "The heartache's only just begun! Yes, it's the first of our Celebrity semi-finals!"
- — Craig Charles before the battle
The two halves of Gemini split, with one of them holding back whilst the drove around Diotoir. As Diotoir turned to face the Gemini twin, Sergeant Bash came out of his CPZ and drove across the arena, blasting his flamethrower at Diotoir. The side of Diotoir caught fire as the Gemini twin drove at its front, knocking off the frying pan. Diotoir got underneath the Gemini twin, tipping it onto its back using its front wedge, but missed with the flipper. The glasses fell off Diotoir, and the Gemini half fell back upright as Diotoir drove away. Diotoir drove down the arena, and as it turned around, the Gemini half that had attacked Diotoir before cautiously drove after it, whilst the other half drove down towards the arena. Sergeant Bash came out of his CPZ again and fired his flamethrower at Diotoir again, and Diotoir's fur quickly burst into flames. Diotoir pushed against one of the Gemini twins, but the Gemini twin got under the side with its side and flipped Diotoir up and over, with Diotoir landing on the other Gemini half.
- "He's been very go-ahead and aggressive with his driving Vic, but now Diotoir's on flames! The polka-dot design may look pretty, but it's certainly flammable, and vulnerable as well to a shove from undernath! What is crucial in Robot Wars is that machines should have a low ground clearance. Diotoir has, but still Gemini could get in underneath and flip it up and over!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Sergeant Bash and Gemini flips Diotoir over
However, the Gemini half flipped Diotoir off of it, flipping it back to its wheels. Diotoir turned around, and the Gemini half flipped Diotoir up on its side, and it toppled over. The other half of Gemini flipped Diotoir again, and as Diotoir went up on its side, the other half of Gemini charged into Diotoir, but missed with the flipper, having failed to get underneath it, and Diotoir fell back onto its wheels. Sergeant Bash came out of his CPZ again and got at Diotoir's side, firing its flamethrower at Diotoir, though by now most of the fur was burnt off. One half of Gemini charged at Diotoir's front, getting the flipper underneath and flipping it up, but becaused Sergeant BAsh was behind it, Diotoir fell back down, onto the Gemini twin, which reversed, allowing Diotoir to fall back onto its wheels. Diotoir turned around as one Gemini half charged at it, and Diotoir got its flipper under the Gemini twin and flipped it over, though it quickly self-righted.
- "She's hopping as much as Gemini! I did notice she wasn't actually driving at the time!"
- — Jonathan Pearce sees Anthea Turner jumping up and down in delight as Gemini rights itself
After self-righting, the Gemini half tried getting under Diotoir's front. However, it failed to get the flipper under Diotoir's ground clearance. The other Gemini half rammed into the back of Diotoir and tried to flip, but Diotoir drove forwards a little, pushing the Gemini twin in front of it, and causing the other half of Gemini to miss its flip. Diotoir turned, and reversed against the Gemini twin, pushing it down the arena to the edge of a CPZ.
- "Ciarán there, Zulu, has spotted something I haven't! If that's true, and one part of Gemini is deactivated, then they're out! If one half of Gemini is immobilised, then both of them are out! If one half of Gemini is silenced, then both halves are silenced! Perhaps that goes for the Turner girls as well, I don't know!"
- — Jonathan Peace as one half of Gemini becomes immobile
The Gemini half slowly turned and drove at Diotoir, but as Diotoir drove away, the Gemini half stopped moving by the pit, whilst the other half was also immobile, having lost radio contact. Sergeant Bash pinned Diotoir against the bottom arena wall and fired his flamethrower, and though Diotoir turned away, Sir Killalot blocked it, and it found itself caught between Sir Killalot and Sergeant Bash, which fired his flamethrower, but could not set fire to the top fur. The Gemini half by the pit regained mobility, and drove up the arena. The pit opened, and Sir Killalot drove at the immobile half of Gemini, pushing it onto its back, then pushed it down the arena into the pit. The other half of Gemini had also broken down, and it was put on the floor flipper and flipped, before being bulldozed down the arena by Shunt, into the pit with its other half.
- "There's the pit of oblivion, and it looks to me as if Wendy and Anthea are gonna descent into that pit of oblivion! Well, they don't know. They're on tenterhooks, so am I! There's Killalot, there goes Gemini! And there goes their hope!"
- — Jonthan Pearce as Sir Killalot pits one half of Gemini
The other half of Gemini had also broken down, and it was put on the floor flipper and flipped, before being bulldozed down the arena by Shunt, into the pit with its other half.
- Craig Charles: "What happened there? You had two robots for the price of one and you still lost!"
- Anthea Turner: "I know, and did you notice, that when you were on your back, we flipped you back over, giving you another life! It was actually nothing to do with..."
- Wendy Turner: "It was Brian and Shane actually, was feeling so generous! We'd have left you there, on your back!"
- — Post-battle interview
Pussycat vs Sir Chromalot
The two robots drove forwards, then held back, trying to get in a good position to attack. Sir Chromalot drove at the side of Pussycat, but Pussycat hit the drill with its cutting disc, ripping off one of the drills, then turned away. As Sir Chromalot turned around, Pussycat drove at it again, but the disc merely glanced off the side, so it reversed away. Sir Chromalot drove away, and Pussycat charged at it, hitting the side, but merely caused sparks. Pussycat reversed and span on the spot, and Sir Chromalot drove at its side and pushed, but Pussycat reversed a little, hitting the drill, bending the drill on the other side, then hitting the front, knocking off some of the decoration.
- "All the controls in Sir Chromalot, down there in that American truck wheel hub, and bits flying off that hub now, across the arena floor!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Pussycat cuts into Sir Chromalot
Pussycat continued to attack Sir Chromalot with the disc as Sir Chromalot tried turning away, with Pussycat driving around it, preventing it from getting away. Sir Chromalot tried to drive away across the arena, but Pussycat was close behind it and hit the back with its disc. Sir Chromalot drove towards the flame pit, but was driving slower and slower, and opened the srimech, ripping through the chrome sheet. Adam Woodyatt handed the controls to Dave Gribble, and Pussycat slammed into Sir Chromalot, but rode up the side instead of pushing it onto the flame pit, so reversed for another charge. Pussycat tired pushing Sir Chromalot onto the flame pit again, but Sir Chromalot managed to weakly turn as Pussycat tried pushing. Pussycat eventually managed to force Sir Chromalot onto the flame pit, and Sir Chromalot could not get away.
- "Are they stuck on that grid? Well I think they're immobilised, yes, by the flames of fury! There's nothing more he can do! He knows where they belong when all is said and done! Boyzone, in the shape of Shane, has been beaten by Eastenders!"
- — Jonathan Pearce quotes the Boyzone song Said and Done as Sir Chromalot becomes immobile
The chrome sheet caught fire, and Sergeant Bash fired his flamethrower at Sir Chromalot. Matilda drove over, flicking Sir Chromalot with her tusks as she pushed it off the flame pit, but as she did so, she crashed into the arena wall, with her tusks caught on the top. Shane Lynch gave up trying to control Sir Chromalot, as it was now completely immobile. Shunt pushed it away from the wall, and Sir Killalot pushed it onto its side with his claw, then grabbed it by the tower.
- "They're just toying with it!"
- — Adam Woodyatt watches the House Robots bully Sir Chromalot
Sergeant Bash also tried to grab Sir Chromalot with his pincer, but Sir Killalot pushed it back, so Sergeant Bash let go. Sir Killalot picked Sir Chromalot up and took it to the floor flipper, where Sir Chromalot was thrown down the arena. The pit opened, and Sir Killalot grabbed Sir Chromalot by the tower and pushed it to the pit, then dropped it in to confirm its elimination.
- Craig Charles: "Shane, I haven't seen such a serious mashing, in ages, on Robot Wars!"
- Shane Lynch: "Well, I was trying to give the crowd what they wanted to see!"
- — Post-battle interview
After the battle, the Sir Chromalot team showed Adam Woodyatt the damage done to Sir Chromalot, with Adam being surprised at how much damage the blade had done.
- Steve Merrill: "My little boy's not watching EastEnders any more!"
- Adam Woodyatt: "I know, I do wonders for getting rid of viewing figures!"
- Jonathan Pearce: "Ian Beale's had his enemies in EastEnders, now Adam's got his new enemies!"
- — After the battle
Pussycat vs Diotoir
- "This has been my all-time favourite celebrity bash, but now just two robotic revellers remain; with Diotoir, a man whose proved he's not just good at Shooting Stars, he's good at booting stars out of the arena as well! And with Pussycat, the nastiest duo to come out of Albert Square since a pair of Pat's earrings! Give it up for Natalie Cassidy, Adam Woodyatt and Vic Reeves!"
- — Craig Charles before the Final
After an initial pause, Pussycat charged at Diotoir, hitting the front of Diotoir, avoiding the flipper, ripping some of the fur off. As it did so, Diotoir fired the flipper, once again knocking off the frying pan. Pussycat pushed against Diotoir's side, ripping off more of the fur, but some of the fur became caught on Pussycat's blade, preventing it from spinning.
- "Off goes the polka-dot skirting, but I wonder if that's gonna cause them problems! It's trapped around the blade!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Pussycat
Pussycat pushed Diotoir onto a flame jet, whilst also intending to set fire to the fur that was caught around the blade. Diotoir tried turning off the flame jet, but Pussycat kept at its side, pushing it against it, knocking off the glasses. Diotoir turned back and forth as Pussycat turned around for another attack, but could not get away, and came to a stop. Pussycat drove into its side, with the fur caught on the blade catching fire, but the flames were not large enough to burn all the fur off. With Diotoir deemed immobile, the House Robots came out to attack. Dead Metal came over, getting his arms around Diotoir and cutting into the side.
- "Diotoir meanwhile, in trouble from Dead Metal! Whose fur-brained idea was the polka-dots boys?"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Dead Metal let go, and Diotoir limped forwards, but Shunt had also come out to attack, firing his axe. Diotoir tried reversing, but Shunt was right by it, and hit the top with his axe and lifted it with his scoop. As Shunt reversed away, Pussycat charged at Diotoir, then got behind it and tried pushing with its front. This failed, so it turned around and tried reversing against Diotoir to push it, but the House Robots came over, with Dead Metal getting his arms around Diotoir, whilst Sir Killalot got at the front, and Shunt got at the side and axed it.
- "Big bullies! Aren't they big bullies Alice?"
- — Ciaran Byrne as the House Robots attack Diotoir
Sir Killalot grabbed Diotoir with his claw and pulled and pushed, whilst Shunt continued to axe it, and smoke began to rise from the robot. Sir Killalot tried picking Diotoir up, but toppled forwards, so lowered it and pushed to the floor flipper. Diotoir was thrown, landing on its side and bouncing along into Sir Killalot.
- "Where's the justice in that?!"
- — Peter Redmond laments Diotoir being attacked by the House Robots
The pit opened, and as Sergeant Bash fired his flamethrower at Diotoir, Shunt backed it into the pit.
- Craig Charles: "Yeah, you won it! What was your tactic? I mean, you did really well!"
- Adam Woodyatt: "The tactic was to win, and steer clear of the pit, and steer clear of the House Robots, but bobody warned us that this stuff! I mean, it's better than chainmail, it's better than anything we've had..."
- Craig Charles: "Completely stopped the blade, didn't it!"
- Adam Woodyatt: "Yeah! I mean, we had to keep trying to burn it off! And we just couldn't get it off!"
- — Adam Woodyatt on Diotoir's fur after the battle.
Celebrity Special Champion: Pussycat (Adam Woodyatt & Natalie Cassidy)
- "They may have stars, on their dressing room doors, but it won't stop the battle scars, on Robot Wars!"
- — Craig Charles signs off
- Ironically, finalists Pussycat and Diotoir would eventually become Tag Team Terror partners, winning the latter tournament in the first series of Extreme.
- This was the only episode of Robot Wars to be broadcast on BBC One. (Although a rerun of the First Wars had been previously aired on the same channel, during the Spring of 1999.)
- For the duration of the episode, Jonathan Pearce referred to the Floor Flipper as the Evil Ejector, and the Flame Pit as the Flames of Fury, instead of their usual names.
- Jonathan Pearce also referred to the floor flipper as the Evil Ejector during the series recap in the Grand Final.
- With the exception of Killertron, all of the defeated robots in this episode were pitted.
- After Gemini lost to Diotoir, Craig Charles claimed "It's gonna take more than some loo roll and some sticky-back plastic to stick Gemini back again!", presumably a reference to Anthea Turner's time as a Blue Peter presenter.
- This was the only episode that was not featured as a part of the Robot Wars: Grand Champions version of the Fourth Wars.
- Coincidentally, Anthea Turner and Chris Eubank would also take part in the first Celebrity series of Big Brother the following year, along with Shane Lynch's Boyzone bandmate Keith Duffy.