Heat G of Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars was the seventh of sixteen heats which determined the semi-finalists of Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars. The episode featuring Heat G was originally broadcast on November 10, 2000 on BBC Two.
- This heat was one of many poor appearances of seeds. Neither Gravedigger nor Dreadnaut XP-1 appeared to have functioning weapons, and both fell with little effort to Thermidor 2. Also, the three best performers from the previous series fell in the Eliminators and the Semi-Finals.
- This heat saw the first appearance of Kronic the Wedgehog, a robot that would later win the 2005 UK Championships and become twice Annihilator Champion.
- All four machines from this heat that returned for The Fifth Wars (Thermidor 2, Kronic 2, Warhog and Gravedigger) lost in the first round of that war.
- This heat saw the potential for a grudge match between Gravedigger and Darke Destroyer 2, who fought each other in the heat final of Heat F of the Third Wars. However, both robots lost to Kronic the Wedgehog, prior to the heat final. It is believed by some that Darke Destroyer 2 specifically asked to be in Gravedigger's heat because of this, evidenced by its lack of seeding.
|Kronic the Wedgehog|
|Dimensions||0.50 x 1.00 x 0.80m|
|Power||2 x Electric motors|
|Weapons||Pneumatic flipper and spike|
|Notes||Contains bubble wrap in body|
|From: Seaton in Devon|
|Team Members: Dave Lang, John Lang & Mike Gardner|
|Dimensions||0.43 x 0.80 x 0.80m|
|Weapons||Spinning wheel at 500rpm|
|Notes||Steel plate and aluminium body|
|Team Members: Colin Hare, Paul Stephenson & Mark Chalmers|
|Darke Destroyer 2|
|Dimensions||0.60 x 1.25 x 0.80m|
|Power||Golf caddy motor powered|
|Weapons||Axes, bulldozer and spikes|
|Notes||Steel, aluminium and wood body|
|From: Romsey in Hampshire|
|Team Members: Rob Darke, Chris Darke & George Murrell|
|Dreadnaut XP-1 (seeded 29th)|
|Dimensions||0.45 x 1.15 x 0.90m|
|Power||2 x Wheelchair motors|
|Notes||Shell is fibreglass|
|From: Nuneaton in Warwickshire|
|Team Members: Ken Feltwell, Dave Vowles & Faye Vowles|
|Gravedigger (seeded 13th)|
|Dimensions||0.45 x 1.10 x 0.80m|
|Power||2 x 750W motors|
|Weapons||Hydraulic ram operated arm|
|Notes||Aluminium plated body|
|Team Members: Jon Chaplin, Dave Chaplin & Owen Ramsey|
|Dimensions||0.32 x 1.30 x 0.70m|
|Power||Electric motor powered|
|Weapons||Lobster claws and flipper|
|Notes||Has two wheels from small car|
|Team Members: David Harding & Ian Harvey|
Gravedigger (13) vs Kronic the Wedgehog vs Thermidor 2
Before the fight, Gravedigger conceded that their flipper wasn't working. Thermidor 2 and Kronic the Wedgehog met in the centre of the arena and both fired their flippers simultaneously, throwing Thermidor 2 up in the air. Gravedigger ran its wedge underneath Kronic, but to no avail. Kronic was then able to shove Thermidor towards the arena wall near Shunt's CPZ. Thermidor spun away and tried to flip Kronic again, but its large claws got in the way. After a little bit of avoiding each other, Kronic stopped on top of the pit pf oblivion, which had dropped slightly. A combined attack from Thermidor and Gravedigger moved Kronic off the pit which hadn't descended any further. The robots met in the centre of the arena again and Kronic was almost flipped onto its side by Thermidor but survived. Kronic then shoved Thermidor into the arena wall again and buckled the right claw.
- "Oh, one of Thermidor's claws has gone!"
- — Jonathan Pearce after Kronic's attack
Following this, Kronic lifted the front of Gravedigger onto the arena side wall before it was flipped over by Thermidor 2. Sir Killalot moved in and picked Gravedigger up, spinning it around and throwing it across the arena, where it landed on its wheels. Gravedigger then proceeded to race towards Thermidor 2 and Kronic the Wedgehog who were still battling next to Matilda. Cease was called and the seeded Gravedigger was eliminated.
Qualified: Kronic the Wedgehog & Thermidor 2
Dreadnaut XP-1 (29) vs Warhog vs Darke Destroyer 2
Warhog span its weapon up to speed as Darke Destroyer 2 slammed into Dreadnaut. Warhog slowly moved towards Dreadnaut and hit it full on at the front. Warhog moved away as Darke Destroyer pushed Dreadnaut around in circles. Warhog then moved in again and hit Dreadnaut for a second time, ripping lots of bits of Dreadnaut's shell away. Darke Destroyer moved in towards Warhog and was thrown away by the sheer power of the spinner. Dreadnaut drove into Warhog, who was not moving, and the impact spun Dreadnaut away and threw Warhog high into the air. This impact started to rip the front claws and armour off the front of Dreadnaut. Darke Destroyer then moved in to shove Dreadnaut while Warhog sat spinning, but not moving by the arena wall. The house robots moved in and after some attacks, a side panel fell loose. As Shunt positioned Warhog on the floor flipper, but Darke Destroyer pushed it off. As Shunt tried to push Warhog again, Sir Killalot picked up Dreadnaut and spun it around, causing it to lose its shell.
- "What's Killalot doing, he's taken on Dreadnaut!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Sir Killalot attacks the victorious Dreadnaut
Darke Destroyer poked Dreadnaut one last time before cease was called and Warhog was eliminated.
Qualified: Dreadnaut XP-1 & Darke Destroyer 2
Kronic the Wedgehog vs Darke Destroyer 2
Darke Destroyer 2 began by trying to use its 'waggling blades' on Kronic the Wedgehog, but they were no use. Kronic responded by flipping Darke Destroyer 2 over. It was unable to self-right, so the House Robots closed in for the kill. Dead Metal put Darke Destroyer 2 on the flipper, which only flung it a short distance. Sir Killalot grabbed hold of the veteran of the previous series, almost snapping through its frame, and dropped it in the open pit.
- "Kronic sent the Darke Destroyer into the darkness of Robot Wars night"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Winner: Kronic the Wedgehog
Dreadnaut XP-1 (29) vs Thermidor 2
Thermidor 2 immediately gave Dreadnaut XP-1 a little flip. This was followed by a bigger one, which sent Dreadnaut XP-1 flying over. The House Robots closed in. Matilda sliced through one of Dreadnaut's tyres with the chainsaw, and Dead Metal dragged it to the flipper, which chucked it a fair distance.
- "Like a cannonball across the arena"
- — Jonathan Pearce on Dreadnaut being flipped by the arena flipper
Dreadnaut was now righted, but the House Robots continued to attack it, Sir Killalot snipping the front, dislodging the body shell, and Dead Metal finally pushing it into the pit and the 29th Seed was out
Winner: Thermidor 2
Kronic the Wedgehog vs Thermidor 2
Before the fight, the Thermidor 2 team were concerned that its flipper wouldn't work. Its claws had also broken, and it was being put back together just beforehand. Julia Reed's interview was cut short.
- "Of course he knew what he was doing Jules. It's a screwdriver and a screw. Its a bit of metal. Its not brain surgery, Jules... women in the pits"
- — Jonathan Pearce on Julia Reed's asking Eli Kirkpatrick if he knew what he was doing
Thermidor 2's flipper did work, but Kronic the Wedgehog was the stronger machine. The two flippers fired at the same time and got momentarily locked together. Kronic the Wedgehog lifted Thermidor 2 up and pushed it into Shunt's CPZ. Thermidor 2 escaped and responded by charging at Kronic, which caused its flipper to come off. Kronic was now weaponless and exposed. Thermidor 2 flipped it up, but not over. Kronic then seemed to lose power on one side. The House Robots closed in, Dead Metal slicing into its side, and Sir Killalot then nudged the beaten robot into the open pit.
Heat Winner: Thermidor 2
- "Beware competitors who've got glass jaws, we don't pull our punches, on Robot Wars!"
- — Craig Charles' sign-off
During the Fourth Wars, alongside the main competition, a Pinball Warrior and Sumo Basho Competition were also held. Unlike the similar competitions of the Third Wars, these trials featured successful qualifiers for Series 4. In between the first and second rounds of each heat, a Pinball run took place, and two sumo attempts took place in between Round 2 and the Heat Final in each of the first eight heats. For Heat G, the Pinball featured Bigger Brother and the Sumo featured Panic Attack and Behemoth.
Pinball Warrior - Bigger Brother
Score: 180 points
- Panic Attack - Victorious in 21.15 seconds
- Behemoth - 60 seconds (survived)