- "In order to submit an entry to Robot Wars, you must first become a member of the Club. If your robot is selected, your club membership fee will be refunded. Members of the Robot Wars Club will receive a badge, membership card, club magazine, preview video, exclusive merchandise offers and advance details of filming Robot Wars."
- — Official Robot Wars website on the Robot Wars Club
The Robot Wars Club was a club that those who followed the series Robot Wars could sign up to. Membership of the club was a requirement to participate in the official Robot Wars events, until Series 8.
The Club[edit | edit source]
Joining the club[edit | edit source]
Joining the Robot Wars club was a fairly straightforward process and could be done by either sending a cheque/postal order or by calling a phone number, a fact that was advertised at the end of every Robot Wars episode as well as on most home video releases. At first the cost of doing so was £10 but this increased slightly over time and was £12 by the time of the third series and had reached £12.95 as of the seventh series.
Club membership pack[edit | edit source]
Upon joining new members would receive a membership pack containing various items such as a video, club card, badge and magazine. The exact contents varied over time. For instance, the exclusive video initially was American Robot Wars Final 1996, an 8-minute preview of the full length American Robot Wars 1996 video that could be purchased by club members. By 2000 this had been replaced with Robot Wars: A History of the Third Wars, an 18-minute video featuring highlights of the third series. By 2003 this had apparently been replaced by yet another video, featuring exclusive "never-before-seen Robot Wars footage".
Membership benefits[edit | edit source]
Joining the club gave members various benefits which changed over time. Generally though these were:
- Exclusive forums and website content not available to the public
- Discounts on official Robot Wars merchandise
- Quarterly club newsletter
- Free subscriptions of both editions of the Robot Wars Magazine were also available to members
Members could also easily obtain copies of the official Rules and Regulations, technical sheets and other important documents.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]