The German Melee was a single battle event in the 12th episode of Robot Wars Extreme: Series 1. The battle took place between four representatives of Germany, with the winner being promised a place in The Second World Championship, which was broadcast later on as part of the series.
Full locations were named only in the German series version of this battle. In the original UK version the robots were billed simply as being from Germany.
|Dimensions||0.75m x 0.75m x 0.34m|
|Power||12v Car Window Motor|
|Weapons||Flipper / Lance / Lever|
|From: Ahrenviöl, Schleswig-Holstein|
|Team Members: Joachim Thomsen, Sunje Thomsen & Sascha Thomsen|
|Dimensions||1m x 0.5m x 0.3m|
|Weapons||Wheel Cutters & Spear|
|Strengths||Low Ground Clearance|
|Weaknesses||Slow & Sluggish|
|From: Flensburg, Schleswig-Holstein|
|Team Members: Michael Schnoor, Anita Jensen & Andre Bruske|
|Dimensions||1.4m x 1.1m x 0.26m|
|Power||36v Electric motor|
|Weapons||Carbon Ramming Spikes|
|Weaknesses||Effectiveness of Weaponry|
|From: Neukirchen-Vluyn, North Rhine-Westphalia|
|Team Members: Oliver Buchel, Dirk Ferschen & Andreas Seipel|
|Dimensions||1.1m x 0.7m x 0.45m|
|Power||36v Electric Motor|
|Weapons||Rotating Lawnmower Blade|
|From: Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg|
|Team Members: Jan Vogt, Norman Theis & Marco Eberle|
Before the battle, Golem damaged the arena entry gates, delaying the filming of the match by a few minutes.
- "We four teams were divided into two boxes where our robots should do a short driving test. Here, Golem left a "lasting impression". They unintentionally destroyed the aluminium gate and delayed the fight by several minutes (PANIC!). When the damage was resolved, the fight could begin"
- — Ansgar website (translated from German)
All four robots started slowly, Flensburger Power started to take on Ansgar while Golem and Nasty Warrior came together. Nasty Warrior led Golem to the arena wall where Golem then shoved Nasty Warrior against an angle grinder. Golem then reversed into Matilda's CPZ, where Matilda repeatedly lifted the rear end of Golem up and down using her tusks. Meanwhile Nasty Warrior took on Ansgar, both robots' weapons acting to no great effect.
- "I don't know if Ansgar's actually moving, but at least they're trying to use the weapon and get the others going"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Flensburger Power had fled from the heat of the battle and lingered by the arena wall until the dying moments of the fight.
Shunt and Matilda worked together to flip Golem. Having not moved too far since running into the CPZ, Refbot proceeded to counting Golem out, the pit release was then pressed with Golem already near it. The three remaining robots met in the centre of the arena, Ansgar's weaponry flicking ferociously, while Nasty Warrior started smoking. Flensburger Power, having done very little throughout the whole battle, was pushed towards the pit by Ansgar witnessing Golem's demise, pitted by Nasty Warrior. The battle ended there but with three robots still mobile, it went to the Judges.
With next to no damage to report on, the win was awarded to Ansgar on aggression.
- Although it lost the battle, Flensburger Power was awarded a Wild Card to enter the Second World Championship as well.
- Golem was the only one of the four competitors not to appear in another event in the UK Series.
- This battle was also broadcast as the special event of Heat A of German Robot Wars, with new commentary being provided by Volker Wolf.