Robot Wars Extreme: Series 2 was the second series of Robot Wars Extreme. It was originally broadcast in early 2003 on BBC Choice and repeated later in 2003 on BBC Two. However, as Five bought the rights to the show while the series was running, the final three episodes were never shown on BBC Two. The series was hosted by Craig Charles, the pit reporter was Philippa Forrester and commentary was provided by Jonathan Pearce.
The series was re-run on the British television channel Dave during the summer and winter of 2011, replacing the re-runs of Robot Wars Extreme: Series 1 which had run between the summer and winter months of 2010. Dave currently have the rights to both series of Robot Wars Extreme and rerun the series occasionally. Challenge showed repeats of Extreme: Series 2 from January 28th to February 18th 2016.
Unlike the first series of Extreme, which featured a variety of battles and tournaments spread over several episodes, the second series primarily focused on episodes dedicated to smaller tournaments. The sole exception to this was Robot Rampage, which featured a variety of championships and one-off battles for lower weight classes.
Fourteen separate competitions took place throughout the 16-episode series, each with their own themes and formats. These included staples from past series such as the All-Stars, Challenge Belt and Tag Team Terror, as well as new tournaments such as the European Championship and the New Blood Championship. The latter held particular importance to the main UK Series, as it involved newcomers to Robot Wars fighting for an automatic entry into The Seventh Wars.
- Main article: Robot Wars Extreme: Series 2/All-Stars
Like the previous tournament, held in the previous Extreme series, the All-Stars tournament featured the "best of the best". This year, the competing robots were the finalists and semi-finalists from Series 6. However, Wild Thing did not compete in this series, so was replaced by Chaos 2.
This year's format was of two heats, with the two heat winners meeting in the Grand Final.
- Terrorhurtz vs Dantomkia vs Tornado: Terrorhurtz eliminated
- Firestorm 4 vs Bigger Brother vs S3: S3 eliminated
- Dantomkia vs Firestorm 4: Firestorm 4 won
- Tornado vs Bigger Brother: Bigger Brother won
- Firestorm 4 vs Bigger Brother: Firestorm 4 won
- Razer vs Chaos 2 vs 13 Black: Chaos 2 eliminated
- Hypno-Disc vs Spawn Again vs Dominator 2: Hypno-Disc eliminated
- Razer vs Spawn Again: Razer won
- 13 Black vs Dominator 2: 13 Black won
- Razer vs 13 Black: Razer won
- Firestorm 4 vs Razer: Razer won
- Main article: Robot Wars Extreme: Series 2/Annihilator
The Annihilator featured six robots in the arena, with one robot being eliminated in each round until only one was left standing.
- Sixth: Typhoon 2
- Fifth: Raging Reality
- Fourth: Revenge of Trouble & Strife
- Third: Major Tom
- Runner-Up: Thermidor 2
- Winner: Kan-Opener
- Main article: Robot Wars Extreme: Series 2/Minor Meltdown
In this special episode, the six competing robots were being driven by the children in their teams.
- Saw Point vs Lambsy vs Bigger Brother: Saw Point eliminated
- Tetanus 2 vs Killer Carrot 2 vs Rick: Tetanus 2 eliminated
- Lambsy vs Killer Carrot 2: Lambsy won
- Bigger Brother vs Rick: Bigger Brother won
- Lambsy vs Bigger Brother: Bigger Brother won
Tag Team Terror
- Main article: Robot Wars Extreme: Series 2/Tag Team Terror
In this tournament, first seen in the Fourth Wars, robots were paired up into teams to fight each other. Only one robot from each team was allowed in the arena at a time and the teams could switch robots by 'tagging' them.
Robot Teams Competing: Bulldog Breed & Robochicken, Diotoir & Pussycat, Hydra & Barbaric Response, Lightning & The Steel Avenger, S.M.I.D.S.Y. & Sump Thing, Stinger & Nasty Humphrey, Velocirippa & Mighty Mouse, X-Terminator & Mini Morg
- S.M.I.D.S.Y. & Sump Thing vs X-Terminator & Mini Morg: X-Terminator & Mini Morg won
- Hydra & Barbaric Response vs Velocirippa & Mighty Mouse: Hydra & Barbaric Response won
- Lightning & The Steel Avenger vs Stinger & Nasty Humphrey: Lighting & The Steel Avenger won
- Diotoir & Pussycat vs Bulldog Breed & Robochicken: Bulldog Breed & Robochicken won
- X-Terminator & Mini Morg vs Hydra & Barbaric Response: Hydra & Barbaric Response won
- Lightning & The Steel Avenger vs Bulldog Breed & Robochicken: Bulldog Breed & Robochicken won
- Hydra & Barbaric Response vs Bulldog Breed & Robochicken: Bulldog Breed & Robochicken won
New Blood Championship
- Main article: Robot Wars Extreme: Series 2/New Blood Championship
In this tournament, newcomers to the wars competed against one another, alongside robots who had only appeared briefly in The Sixth Wars. The winner would win automatic entry to The Seventh Wars, and it was later determined that said winner would be awarded the 16th seed in Series 7.
- Terror Turtle vs Mute vs Roobarb: Terror Turtle eliminated
- Niterider vs Maximus vs Mr Nasty: Niterider eliminated
- Roobarb vs Maximus: Roobarb won
- Mute vs Mr Nasty: Mute won
- Roobarb vs Mute: Mute won
- Night Raider vs Thor vs Hell's Teeth: Night Raider eliminated
- Chip vs Edge Hog vs RT 81: RT 81 eliminated
- Thor vs Chip: Thor won
- Hell's Teeth vs Edge Hog: Edge Hog won
- Thor vs Edge Hog: Thor won
- Chopper vs ICU vs Mad Dog: Mad Dog eliminated
- Storm 2 vs Revolution 2 vs Direct Action: Direct Action eliminated
- ICU vs Revolution 2: ICU won
- Chopper vs Storm 2: Storm 2 won
- ICU vs Storm 2: Storm 2 won
- Cedric Slammer vs Bash Gordon vs Pressure: Bash Gordon eliminated
- Piranha vs Fatal Traction vs Doctor Fist: Doctor Fist eliminated
- Cedric Slammer vs Fatal Traction: Cedric Slammer won
- Pressure vs Piranha: Pressure won
- Cedric Slammer vs Pressure: Cedric Slammer won
- Main article: Robot Wars Extreme: Series 2/Robot Rampage
This episode featured robots from the other weight categories.
- Main article: Robot Wars Extreme: Series 2/Middleweight Championship
This tournament featured robots weighing no more than 54kg.
- Steel Sandwich vs Broadsword vs Malc 1.5 vs Typhoon: Steel Sandwich & Typhoon qualified
- Typhoon Twins vs 259 vs Doom Too vs Mammoth: Typhoon Twins & 259 qualified
- Steel Sandwich vs Typhoon vs Typhoon Twins vs 259: Typhoon won
- Main article: Robot Wars Extreme: Series 2/Lightweight Championship
This battle featured two robots weighing no more than 27kg.
Winner: Typhoon Thunder
- Main article: Robot Wars Extreme: Series 2/Featherweight Championship
This tournament featured robots weighing no more than 12kg.
- Gi-Ant-O vs Katnip vs Argh! vs Bernard vs AM CVn vs Eddy Evolution vs Neoteric: Katnip, Argh! & Bernard qualified
- Dragon vs Kitty vs Gladiator vs Micro Mute vs Cutlet vs Flybot: Micro Mute, Gladiator & Cutlet qualified
- Argh! vs Bernard vs Cutlet vs Gladiator vs Katnip vs Micro Mute: Argh! won
- Main article: Robot Wars Extreme: Series 2/Antweight Championship
This tournament featured robots weighing no more than 150g fighting in their own especially designed arena.
- Buzzant vs Lower vs Militant vs Minimalistic vs Pants vs Serpant: Lower and Pants qualified
- Anty B vs Anty Geddon vs Chroma vs Combatant vs Hades vs Mesmer 2: Anty B and Combatant qualified
- Anty B vs Combatant vs Lower vs Pants: Anty B won
- Main article: Robot Wars Extreme: Series 2/Challenge Belt
After the last Challenge Belt competition, Tornado had only won two of the three battles it needed to keep its second belt outright. This tournament featured eight robots fighting for the right to take it on at the end of the show. To get to Tornado, they first had to get past each other.
- Holder: Tornado
- Challengers: Hypno-Disc, S.M.I.D.S.Y., Dantomkia, Sir Chromalot, Barber-Ous 2, Vader, Terrorhurtz, Iron-Awe 2
- Hypno-Disc vs S.M.I.D.S.Y. vs Dantomkia vs Sir Chromalot: S.M.I.D.S.Y. & Dantomkia qualified
- Barber-Ous 2 vs Vader vs Terrorhurtz vs Iron-Awe 2: Terrorhurtz & Iron-Awe 2 qualified
- Dantomkia vs Iron-Awe 2: Dantomkia won
- S.M.I.D.S.Y. vs Terrorhurtz: Terrorhurtz won
- Dantomkia vs Terrorhurtz: Terrorhurtz won
- Terrorhurtz vs Tornado: Tornado won
- Main article: Robot Wars Extreme: Series 2/Iron Maidens
Similar to the Minor Meltdown tournament, the wives, girlfriends and mothers of six teams drove their robots.
- Chompalot vs Spin Doctor vs Pussycat: Spin Doctor eliminated
- Kat 3 vs Behemoth vs Riptilion: Riptilion eliminated
- Pussycat vs Kat 3: Pussycat won
- Chompalot vs Behemoth: Chompalot won
- Pussycat vs Chompalot: Chompalot won
- Main article: Robot Wars Extreme: Series 2/University Challenge
This special episode featured six teams from universities and colleges competing with their robots.
- Infernal Contraption vs Behemoth vs CV: Behemoth eliminated
- Tiberius 3 vs Infinity vs Fluffy: Fluffy eliminated
- Infernal Contraption vs Infinity: Infinity won
- CV vs Tiberius 3: Tiberius 3 won
- Infinity vs Tiberius 3: Tiberius 3 won
- Main article: Robot Wars Extreme: Series 2/Commonwealth Carnage
This tournament featured eight robots from the former British Commonwealth representing their respective countries.
- From the UK: Firestorm 4 (England), Panic Attack (Wales), Corkscrew (Scotland), Weld-Dor 3 (Northern Ireland)
- From the Former British Commonwealth: Bondi Titch (Australia), Cerberus (Cyprus), Crushtacean (South Africa), Terror Turtle (Canada)
- Bondi Titch (AUS) vs Corkscrew (SCO) vs Weld-Dor 3 (NIR) vs Firestorm 4 (ENG): Corkscrew & Firestorm 4 qualified
- Terror Turtle (CAN) vs Panic Attack (WAL) vs Cerberus (CYP) vs Crushtacean (RSA): Panic Attack & Crushtacean qualified
- Firestorm 4 (ENG) vs Panic Attack (WAL): Firestorm 4 won
- Corkscrew (SCO) vs Crushtacean (RSA): Crushtacean won
- Firestorm 4 (ENG) vs Crushtacean (RSA): Firestorm 4 won
- Main article: European Championship
This tournament featured champions from Europe representing their respective countries in a knock-out tournament.
Robots Competing: Razer (World Champion), PulverizeR (Dutch Champion), Black Hole (German Champion), Zeus (Italian Competitor), Snake Bite (Swiss Competitor), Tornado (UK Champion), Philipper 2 (Belgian Champion), Rawbot (Swedish Competitor).
- Razer (UK) vs PulverizeR (NED): Razer won
- Black Hole (GER) vs Zeus (ITA): Black Hole won
- Snake Bite (SUI) vs Tornado (UK): Tornado won
- Philipper 2 (BEL) vs Rawbot (SWE): Philipper 2 won
- Black Hole (GER) vs Philipper 2 (BEL): Philipper 2 won
- Razer (UK) vs Tornado (UK): Razer won
- Note: Razer later handed the victory to Tornado as they believed that they had been immobilised (Razer's motors had burnt out very early on in the fight) and did not deserve to continue.
- Tornado (UK) vs Philipper 2 (BEL): Tornado won
According to the original Robot Wars discussion forums, at least three further events were planned for Extreme 2, but ultimately never shown:
- "Eight robots compete in various challenges designed to test their driving ability and control under pressure. A specially designed arena, full of obstacles, skill tests, point scoring challenges and fighting opportunities will be designed to test the roboteers to their very limits."
- — Description on original Robot Wars discussion forum (archived)
Demolition Derby was to be a full episode featuring eight competitors in a series of driving and control-based challenges. Much like the Gauntlet and Trial stages of the first two UK series, these challenges would have consisted of a variety of obstacle courses and points-based stages, as well as 'skill tests' and occasional combat elements. According to the description, the competition would have taken place in a separate arena to that used in regular combat events. It is unknown whether Demolition Derby was produced or scrapped as a concept, or if any robots were entered. However, the event was referenced in the October 2002 Robot Wars programme, just a few weeks prior to filming.
Robot Rampage events
Two additional events were also planned for the Robot Rampage episode:
- Super Heavyweight Knockdown, a revival of the Super Heavyweight Championship which would have been billed as the main event.
- A 'Walker class' event, dedicated to walking robots in a similar vein to the Series 3 Walker Battles.
Like Demolition Derby, it is unknown whether the Super Heavyweight or Walker events were produced or cancelled, or if any robots were entered into them.