The Commonwealth Carnage was an international competition featuring robots from the Commonwealth of Nations. It was featured during the penultimate episode of Robot Wars Extreme: Series 2 and was originally shown on BBC Choice on January 31, 2003, but the series was dropped by the BBC before it could be shown on BBC Two. It was first repeated on Dave on 15 January 2011.
The competition featured eight robots, each representing their respective countries from the Commonwealth. The robots came from England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Cyprus, Canada, Australia and South Africa. The eight robots were split into two four-way melees for the first round from which two would go through to the semi-finals. Two robots then went through to the final to decide the Commonwealth Carnage champion.
|Dimensions||0.66 x 1.07 x 0.87m|
|Power||2 x Electric motors|
|From: Brisbane, Australia|
|Team Members: Matthew Jennings & Linda Jennings|
|Dimensions||0.53 x 1.50 x 0.80m|
|Strengths||Fast and manoeuvrable|
|Team Members: Theo Kaccoufa, Alex Kaccoufa & Alex Wink|
|Dimensions||0.65 x 0.88 x 0.88m|
|Power||3 x Electric motors|
|Weapons||6 Revolving blades|
|Strengths||360 Degree killing zone|
|Weaknesses||Difficult to control|
|From: Selkirk, Scotland|
|Team Members: John Heatlie, Lewis Heatlie & Laurence Heatlie|
|Dimensions||0.40 x 1.35 x 0.85m|
|Power||36V Electric motor|
|From: South Africa|
|Team Members: Michaela Visser, Dominic Visser & Ian Visser|
|Dimensions||0.36 x 1.10 x 0.83m|
|Weaknesses||2 Wheel drive|
|From: Durham, England|
|Team Members: Graham Bone & Hazel Heslop|
|Dimensions||1.30 x 1.10 x 0.90m|
|Power||2 x Electric motors|
|Strengths||Very strong and powerful|
|Weaknesses||Slow to self-right|
|From: Cwmbran, Wales|
|Team Members: Kim Davies & Kevin Pritchard|
|Dimensions||0.54 x 1.60 x 0.77m|
|Strengths||360 Degrees of attack|
|Weaknesses||It's a turtle!|
|From: Vancouver, Canada|
|Team Members: John Frizell & Jacob Frizell|
|Dimensions||0.55 x 1.16 x 0.85m|
|Power||2 x Electric motors|
|Weapons||Flipper and rotating blade|
|Strengths||Speed & power|
|Weaknesses||Untested in battle|
|From: Belfast, Northern Ireland|
|Team Members: Phelim Lundy & David Lundy|
Bondi Titch (AUS) vs Corkscrew (SCO) vs Firestorm 4 (ENG) vs Weld-Dor 3 (NIR)Edit
Firestorm 4 went into this battle as the overwhelming favourites, and it was quick off the mark, immediately flipping Weld-Dor 3, although the Northern Irish machine comfortably self-righted, only to be overturned again. Firestorm 4 then attacked Bondi Titch, but Corkscrew got in the way of the attack. Meanwhile, after a long time inactive, Weld-Dor 3 tried to self-right, but found itself unable to. This was a result of an untelevised attack from Corkscrew, which saw Corkscrew hit the wheel of Weld-Dor 3, twisting its frame and causing CO to vent out of the machine violently. Firestorm 4 pushed Weld-Dor 3 into the CPZ and pressed it against the arena wall with its flipper a few times, before eventually flipping it out of the arena completely. Bondi Titch hit the pit release, but was then attacked by Firestorm 4, who flipped it up against the arena wall, but Bondi Titch crashed down again. Corkscrew, meanwhile, very nearly pitted itself under no pressure, as Philippa Forrester suspected pre-battle, but veered away and crashed into an immobile Bondi Titch. A second impact from Corkscrew dislodged a panel from Bondi Titch.
- "The Australians- surfing their way out of the competition it would seem!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Firestorm 4 then took over the battering of Bondi Titch, pushing it into the CPZ, and then, after levering against the arena wall, left it to Mr. Psycho, who hammered it. Bondi Titch appeared to have a brief spell of mobility, but this was cut short by a charge from Firestorm 4, and the subsequent flip out of the arena. After cease was called, Corkscrew caused massive damage to the side of Matilda.
- Philippa Forrester: "You did very well for Australia, you should be very proud. Congratulations and thank you for coming all this way."
- Jonathan Pearce: "And now go home."
- — Conflicting opinions on the performance of Bondi Titch
Qualified: Corkscrew & Firestorm 4
Cerberus (CYP) vs Crushtacean (RSA) vs Panic Attack (WAL) vs Terror Turtle (CAN)Edit
Panic Attack met Cerberus head on, but the two spun away. Crushtacean then took over, and rammed Cerberus into the pit release. Panic Attack then attacked Terror Turtle with the forks, meanwhile Crushtacean managed an almighty charge to pit Cerberus. Panic Attack and Crushtacean then teamed up to bully Terror Turtle, pushing it into the CPZ, and Panic Attack lifting it up with its forks. Crushtacean then grabbed the wheel guards, and pushed Terror Turtle, before releasing it. Panic Attack then pushed Terror Turtle into Sir Killalot, who lifted it up and over, causing JJ Frizell to lift a sign in support of his robot.
- "Save the Turtle!"
- — Team Terror Turtle's banner
Responding to the banner, Crushtacean gripped the back of Sir Killalot, but caused no damage. Towards the end of the battle, Panic Attack reignited its famous rivalry with Shunt, lifting the house robot off its wheels. Sir Killalot appeared to break down towards the end of the fight, only able to move his jaws, and so could not inflict further punishment on the overturned Terror Turtle. Jonathan Pearce remarked that Sir Killalot's defeat of Terror Turtle, which could not self-right, was an illegal manoeuvre, so it was disregarded in the resulting Judges' decision. Regardless, they decided that Crushtacean and Panic Attack had done enough to make the next round.
Qualified: Crushtacean & Panic Attack
Panic Attack (WAL) vs Firestorm 4 (ENG)Edit
The battle between the two old rivals began with Panic Attack dodging Firestorm, before it ran up on its forks, but Panic Attack was unable to capitalize on this. Firestorm then fought back, and pushed Panic Attack into the CPZ, almost flipping it onto its back in the process. Panic Attack was unable to regroup and come in on another attack as Firestorm mercilessly hounded it; however once again it ran up on the forks of Panic Attack, who again failed to capitalize. Firestorm pushed Panic Attack the length of the arena, and into Sergeant Bash's CPZ, but both robots escaped. Firestorm again tried to flip Panic Attack but failed to. Firestorm got stuck on an angle grinder temporarily, and Panic Attack took the initiative, momentarily taking the upper hand in the battle. Firestorm retaliated and pushed Panic Attack against the arena wall. Panic Attack's srimech was designed for protecting it from getting stuck on its back, so was useless on its side. First Refbot, then Mr. Psycho tried to free Panic Attack, but failed, so Panic Attack was counted out, and Firestorm pressed the pit release.
- "Six foot two, eyes of blue, Mr Psycho's after you!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Mr Psycho exacts revenge on Firestorm
Mr. Psycho picked up Panic Attack, and paraded it around the arena, whilst Firestorm took on Sergeant Bash and flipped it. Mr. Psycho left Panic Attack to attack Firestorm who had tried, and failed to get underneath. After hammering Firestorm, Psycho returned to Panic Attack, dumping it in the pit. As Mr. Psycho reversed, he landed himself on the wedge of Firestorm. Cease was called, but Firestorm continued anyway, managing to flip the gargantuan house robot. Post-battle, it took nearly a dozen people to re-right Mr. Psycho.
- "Mr Psycho saved by the cease! No!"
- — Jonathan Pearce watches as Firestorm flips Mr Psycho
Winner: Firestorm 4
Crushtacean (RSA) vs Corkscrew (SCO)Edit
Corkscrew spun up to full speed and attacked Crushtacean, which sent the South African machine spinning away, but did not cause major damage. Crushtacean quickly responded and stopped Corkscrew from spinning by pinning it against the arena wall, and grabbing the blades with its claws, fulfilling the pre-match prophecy that Corkscrew would 'fit perfectly' in the claws of Crushtacean.
- "This would be something of an upset if South Africa were to win this!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Corkscrew was dragged towards the pit release, but resisted and managed to delay the process of pressing the button, but could not stop the inevitable, causing the decorative corkscrew to fall off in the process. Crushtacean then managed to push Corkscrew into the pit, driving its own wheels over the pit as well. Growler nudged Crushtacean in completely, but Corkscrew was eliminated due to it being pitted first.
- "Once they had got us in their claws, there was no stopping that!"
- — Lewis Heatlie
Firestorm 4 (ENG) vs Crushtacean (RSA)Edit
- "Brave Commonwealth Carnage finalists. But, this was a small crab in a very, very big pool."
- — Jonathan Pearce
Firestorm 4 started the battle with an onslaught on Crushtacean, attempting several times to flip Crushtacean. Dead Metal then attacked Crushtacean, who attacked the exposed wheels. Firestorm again got in underneath Crushtacean, and flipped Crushtacean over, and then onto its side, from where it could not self-right. Refbot then counted down the South African machine, and Firestorm was crowned Commonwealth Champion, their first trophy in four years of trying.
Firestorm in celebration took on the House Robots as it had done before, pressuring Dead Metal, almost flipping it over. Sergeant Bash came in with its jaws, and crushed the shell of Firestorm. Refbot tried to separate the three machines. The fight ended with Firestorm balancing Dead Metal precariously on its flipper, with Sergeant Bash locked onto the back of Firestorm 4.
- "After all this time you've won something! Would you like the trophy?"
- — Craig Charles presents the Firestorm team with their prize
Commonwealth Carnage Champion: Firestorm 4
- "After all the fighting, one country roars, it's the Commonwealth champions, on Robot Wars!"
- — Craig Charles' sign-off
- The winner of the All-Stars Championship was originally intended to automatically qualify for the Commonwealth Carnage, but Firestorm, the runner-up of the All-Stars, represented England instead, presumably because the winner, Razer, was already fighting in the European Championship.
- This episode featured the rekindling of two grudges, between Panic Attack and Firestorm, and Panic Attack and Shunt. Incidentally, this was the last time that Panic Attack would fight Firestorm one-on-one.
- Also featured in this episode was the only occasion in UK Robot Wars where Mr. Psycho was flipped.
- This episode featured the team that had travelled the furthest to get to Robot Wars, a distance of over 10,000 miles.
- Graham Bone, captain of Firestorm, proposed to girlfriend Hazel Heslop after winning this competition.
- Kevin Pritchard rejoined the Panic Attack team in this episode, after leaving to form the Evil Weevil team at the end of Series 2.
- Philippa Forrester made constant mention of Corkscrew driving itself into the pit during Series 6 to mock the team. Despite this, the Commonwealth Carnage featured two other robots which drove into the pit during Series 6. Crushtacean and Firestorm have both pitted themselves, the latter driving itself into the pit three times in the history of Robot Wars, and the former pitting itself for the second time upon beating Corkscrew.
- A mistake with the battle board showed Firestorm 4 with the United Kingdom flag, instead of a English flag.