- "She's fast, she's powerful, she's patriotic!"
- — Stefan Frank in Season 1
Rosie the Riveter was a competitor robot that fought in both seasons of Robot Wars: Extreme Warriors, as well as Nickelodeon Robot Wars, built by Team Juggerbot. After competing in a variety of events during the first season with mixed success, Rosie the Riveter 2 reached the Grand Final of the US Championship during Season 2, defeating Darkness in its Heat Final before falling to the eventual champion Panzer Mk 4 in the eliminators. Rosie the Riveter 2 lost both of its fights in Nickelodeon Robot Wars on extremely close Judges' decisions.
Design[edit | edit source]
- "This is Rosie the Riveter, and she's all business!"
- — Chris Gattman in Season 2
Building upon its name, Rosie the Riveter was a four-wheel drive, box-shaped robot designed to resemble a World War II fighter plane. It was mainly painted yellow, blue and white with various fighter plane-inspired decals, and in the first season of Extreme Warriors featured an iron battering ram as its weapon, driven by wheelchair motors. However, this version of the machine suffered from a faulty speed controller at the rear of the machine, so Rosie the Riveter often fell far short of its top speed, and would often lose the ability to turn left and right in battle.
In Season 2 and Nickelodeon Robot Wars, it was known as Rosie The Riveter 2 (styled as Rosie the Riveter II, and was upgraded to feature a front wedge as well as a belt-driven 24V circular saw, also replacing Rosie the Riveter's wheelchair motors with new 36V electric motors. The robot also featured a host of novelty fighter plane-themed attachments which were removed before its battles, including a pair of wings fixed to its sides, and a miniature cockpit, pilot and tailfin attached to its top panel.
Etymology[edit | edit source]
- "Rosie the Riveter is named after Chris Gattman's grandmother, who used to pull planes together in World War II..."
- — Stefan Frank before Rosie the Riveter fought Rot Box
The robot's name is a direct reference to Rosie the Riveter, the cultural American icon who represented working women during times of war, which included Chris Gattman's grandmother. This was enforced by a pilot in cockpit being added to Rosie the Riveter's plane-like design, and Stefan Frank would often refer to Rosie the Riveter as a highly patriotic robot.
The Team[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Team Juggerbot
Rosie the Riveter was built by Team Juggerbot, but as this team name had been put aside for the captain's entry Tricerabot, Rosie the Riveter's team used a variety of different team names. This included Team Thunderbolt in Season 1 and Team Logoseye in Nickelodeon Robot Wars, although Chris Gattman did refer to the team as Team Juggerbot during Season 2.
Robot History[edit | edit source]
Season 1[edit | edit source]
In the US Championship, Rosie the Riveter was drawn against Close Enough, Mad Cow, Manta, Rippa Raptor, Tiger Cat. However, Rosie the Riveter had problems with its rear speed controller so the robot could only slowly move forwards and backwards during the battle.
- Chris Gattman: "Watch out for the weapons because she'll kill you!"
- Rebecca Grant: "You guys look fantastic. Bombs away!"
- — Rosie the Riveter's pre-match interview
Rosie the Riveter, having barely left the center of the arena in the opening seconds, first engaged with another robot when Mad Cow drove into it. Rosie the Riveter pushed Mad Cow back slightly, but could not follow up this attack due to its mobility issues. After Rippa Raptor was immobilised by Manta, Rosie the Riveter was also clipped by a Manta charge. Further into the battle, Tiger Cat was able to push the barely-moving Rosie the Riveter into an empty CPZ, during which time Mad Cow was immobilised. Rosie the Riveter hugged the side of the beaten Rippa Raptor while the latter was sawed by Dead Metal, but otherwise failed to engage, rolling towards the floor flipper. Here, Rosie the Riveter ground to a complete halt, and before it was even counted out, the floor flipper tossed it straight onto Dead Metal, which allowed it to start slowly driving again, touching Mad Cow which was about to be thrown by the arena hazard as well.
- "Rosie the Riveter got launched right into Dead Metal!"
- — Stefan Frank during the recap
Time expired on the battle, and Rosie the Riveter barely survived to a Judges' decision. Although Rosie the Riveter and Tiger Cat were the only machines with technical mobility, the Judges awarded the victory to Manta, which had only become immobile in the closing stages. This eliminated Rosie the Riveter in the first round of the main competition.
Rosie the Riveter also entered the Tag Team Terror alongside its fellow Team Juggerbot entry, Tricerabot. In their first battle, Team Juggerbot were drawn against Drillzilla and Tut Tut. Rosie the Riveter started in the CPZ, while Tricerabot opened the battle.
- "This is Rosie the Riveter, this is the last thing that a lot of robots are gonna see today!"
- — Chris Gattman in the VT before the battle
After Tut Tut retreated to its CPZ, Tricerabot fought Drillzilla head-to-head and was completely overpowered. Noticing its teammate burning over the flame pit, Rosie the Riveter charged into the arena without being tagged, and crashed into an angle grinder while aiming for Drillzilla. It managed to push Drillzilla away from the flame pit, but teammate Tricerabot had already caught fire. As Rosie the Riveter had broken the rules by leaving its CPZ without being tagged, House Robot Sir Killalot closed in and prised Rosie the Riveter into the air, spinning it around and dropping it onto the ground with visible damage.
- "Rosie the Riveter jumped the gun and went in there too early, and paid the price, and so did Killalot from Refbot!"
- — Stefan Frank during the recap
Refbot red-carded Sir Killalot for this action, but Rosie the Riveter quickly found itself stuck between all of the participating robots, and even Matilda. Rosie the Riveter attempted to push Drillzilla, but could not resist the shufflebot's pushing power, and was edged back into an angle grinder. Drillzilla had also bent Rosie the Riveter's battering ram, preventing it from driving forwards freely, and Matilda came in to grind through the side of Rosie the Riveter with her flywheel. When escaping, Rosie the Riveter drove straight back into Matilda, but after backing away, Tricerabot overturned Matilda instead. At the same time, Rosie the Riveter had charged into Tut Tut, but became stuck on the broad pyramid. When free, Rosie the Riveter briefly attacked Drillzilla, and fought Tut Tut near the pit. Sir Killalot picked up Tricerabot as revenge for it attacking Matilda, and threw it straight into Rosie the Riveter. Stuck in a convoy, Drillzilla pushed Rosie the Riveter into Tricerabot, and the spike of Rosie the Riveter dug up the wooden arena floor. It was at this stage Tricerabot was pitted by Drillzilla, forcing Rosie the Riveter to fight alone, but it was left with no time to act, and 'cease' was called once Drillzilla pushed Rosie the Riveter into an angle grinder.
- "Maybe you guys put too much time and effort into your costumes than your performance out there!"
- — Rebecca Grant
The battle was sent to a Judges' decision, but with Rosie the Riveter's teammate immobilised, the Judges easily opted in favour of Drillzilla and Tut Tut. Rosie the Riveter and Tricerabot could no longer win the Tag Team Terror, but they did enter a Third Place Play-off against Falcon and Joker.
- Rebecca Grant: "Do you notice how he has the girls working behind me, and he's, like, just hanging out?"
- Chris Gattman: "No respect! They're competent, they know what they're doing so y'know, they like to get their hands in. It's better than just having them sitting around doing nothing!"
- — Chris Gattman while his teammates repair Rosie the Riveter for the play-off
Rosie the Riveter entered the arena first for the play-off, where it would face Falcon. However, it seemed to be suffering from the same issues faced in the US Championship, and Rosie the Riveter slowly pondered towards Falcon, sustaining light axe blows. Unable to turn left or right, Rosie the Riveter slowly backed away while taking more attacks from Falcon, until Joker took the place of Falcon. Sensing its teammate's difficulties, Tricerabot charged in to protect Rosie the Riveter from the spinning Joker. This prompted the match to once again become a four-way free-for-all, and Rosie the Riveter pushed Falcon from behind, but sustained another axe blow. Rosie the Riveter and Tricerabot collaborated to push Falcon together, and Rosie the Riveter then capitalized on Joker's slowing shell spinner, and held it over the steam vent to stop it from escaping. Although it was axed by Joker in the process, Rosie the Riveter used its spike to produce a visible dent in Joker's armour, and pressed it against the arena wall to immobilise it. Rosie the Riveter was slow on its retreat, but Tricerabot had been earning points by attacking Joker, until both Juggerbot machines became stuck together, allowing Sgt. Bash to set Tricerabot on fire. Although Rosie the Riveter barely moved after this, Tricerabot rammed Falcon causing it to break down over the pit, and then pressed the pit trigger to officially immobilise Falcon, while Joker was then counted out. With both opponents defeated, Rosie the Riveter and Tricerabot had earned third place in the Tag Team Terror.
- "You call yourselves winners? If you'd spent more time on your robot instead of your uniforms, which are very impressive, things may have turned out a little better!"
- — Mick Foley
Rosie the Riveter's next appearance was in the War of Independence, where it represented the United States of America. In its first battle, it fought the UK representative Plunderbird 5. Prior to the battle, Team Thunderbolt and the International Wreck Crew exchanged lyrics in the pits.
- International Wreck Crew: "Rosie robot's looking grim, the crew is totally frantic. That's 'cos we're gonna bash 'em, back across the Atlantic!"
- Team Thunderbolt: "Plunderchicken, Plunderchicken, where's the action? Rosie's gonna beat you like Andrew Jackson!"
- International Wreck Crew: "You think you're big, you think you're tough, but you ain't made of Plunderbird stuff!"
- Team Thunderbolt: "Uh, sorry, we can't understand what they're sayin', we don't speak chicken..."
- — The sing-off before the fight
Straight away, Plunderbird 5 crashed into Rosie the Riveter and knocked away some of its decorative American flags. Rosie the Riveter fit snugly under the Plunderthocker weapon, and was slammed into the arena wall by the British machine. Plunderbird 5 edged Rosie the Riveter towards Dead Metal, but here, Rosie the Riveter found a way under the ground clearance of Plunderbird 5 and slammed it into an angle grinder.
- "Plunderbird 5 with the definite advantage of pushing, but Rosie's pushing back!"
- — Stefan Frank
This heavy slam had immobilised Plunderbird 5 on one side, and Rosie the Riveter slammed it again for good measure, although this was gradually bending the front spike of the American machine. Rosie the Riveter was relentless in its attacks, slamming Plunderbird 5 three times in sequence before backing away to see if its opponent was immobile. Rosie the Riveter returned to attacking, but its front spike was so bent that Rosie the Riveter was now pinned into the arena floor. As it tried to drive forwards, Rosie the Riveter's spike tore up the wooden floor, creating scratches everywhere it drove, and then became stuck on Plunderbird 5 after backing into it. Refbot was forced to separate the two machines, and time ran out on the battle with neither robot able to move freely.
- "The decision's in, apparently it was very close, but due to inflicting more damage, it's Rosie the Riveter from the USA!"
- — Mick Foley reveals the winner
The Judges were required to declare a winner, although as Plunderbird 5 had been immobile on one side for most of the match, Rosie the Riveter earned the Judges' decision through damage points. This put Rosie the Riveter through to the second round, where it faced the only remaining British entry, Pussycat.
- Rebecca Grant: "Alright US, give it to 'em, they're calling you girlies!"
- Sharon Gattman: "Girlies? Rosie's a woman, and she's gonna rivet you out of the arena!"
- Chris Gattman: "You'd think after this long, that the British would've learned that they should've just stayed at home!"
- — The team respond to Alan Gribble calling them 'girlies'
Rosie the Riveter crashed head-first into Pussycat's cutting disc, and continued to close the gap between both robots, driving around the back of Pussycat to push it towards the flame pit. Although Pussycat dodged the flame pit, Rosie the Riveter curved its charge and continued pushing the British robot, taking minor damage from the cutting disc. Pussycat charged back into Rosie the Riveter to land a direct hit with its blade, but Rosie the Riveter used this chance to drive under Pussycat's front ground clearance and slam it into the arena wall of the CPZ, also overturning Pussycat by driving it sideways. Rosie the Riveter's assault continued, and it pushed Pussycat across the arena and into Sgt. Bash, before backing away and taking a hit from the cutting disc.
- "Rosie having her way, pushing Pussycat wherever she wants to take her! Rosie the Riveter's definitely a formidable opponent this time, the Pussycat just doesn't know what to do about this!"
- — Stefan Frank
In its retreat, Rosie the Riveter backed into Matilda, and its side frame was also visibly bent. Pussycat capitalized, and rammed Rosie the Riveter with its blade, cutting loose a decorative flag, and knocking away Rosie the Riveter's cockpit. The damage was starting to add up on Rosie the Riveter, which used its spikes to drive straight into Pussycat's disc, and got away. At the bottom end of the arena, Pussycat hooked its blade under the bent framework of Rosie the Riveter, holding it in place. Rosie the Riveter reversed away, but backed into the arena wall, visibly slowing its subsequent movements as Pussycat sped into the front of Rosie the Riveter to slice at it, and Pussycat tore away one of Rosie the Riveter's spikes. As it could once again no longer turn left or right, Rosie the Riveter coasted away, and came to a complete standstill by the pit trigger after sustaining another attack from Pussycat's blade. Pussycat used its back end to roll Rosie the Riveter onto the lip of the pit, and after some effort, backed it into the pit. As a result, Rosie the Riveter had conceded the battle to the British side, which went on to win the War of Independence.
- "We're disappointed, but that was definitely the hardest robot I think we've fought yet."
- — Chris Gattman to Mick Foley after the battle with Pussycat
Rosie the Riveter also participated in the Robot Rebellion, and fought the loanerbot entry from Team Boltz, Rot Box, in its qualifier battle to earn a place in the fight against the House Robots. Team Boltz had previously fought Rosie the Riveter with Mad Cow, prompting Team Thunderbolt to talk about Mad Cow prior to the match.
- Rebecca Grant: "That is one Mad Cow, but this is one tough robot. Rosie the Riveter, what do you think your chances are?"
- Chris Gattman: "Good, good. It's a sad thing, there's only one thing you can do with a mad cow, and that's kill it, so that's what we're gonna do!"
- — The team plan to kill a cow, despite their opponent being Rot Box
Rosie the Riveter drove forwards and faced Rot Box head-on, but was briefly overpowered, and Rot Box pushed it back while landing an axe blow overhead, knocking a decorative fin from the top of Rosie the Riveter. Stepping back into gear, Rosie the Riveter pushed Rot Box across the arena, slamming it into the arena side wall. Rot Box's axe was still stuck to the top of Rosie the Riveter, so both robots pushed and pulled each other over the flame pit, and eventually Rosie the Riveter won out, slamming Rot Box back into the wall. Although Rosie the Riveter's next attack missed, throwing itself straight into the angle grinder, Rot Box was struggling to escape, and Rosie the Riveter slammed it again. Rot Box escaped, but when the action moved nearer to Dead Metal, Rot Box started to lose mobility, as it was slammed by Rosie the Riveter, and sliced through by the House Robot. Rosie the Riveter once again rammed into Rot Box, which had started to suffer from a flat tire.
- "I accidentally smashed the timer on the Refbot and if it had been an episode of Peaky Blinders I'd be dead now."
- — Chris Gattman on YouTube in December 2018
When Rosie the Riveter attempted to slam Rot Box again, it instead drove straight up the front wedge of Refbot. Although Rot Box landed a light blow on Rosie the Riveter, its flat tire had stopped the robot from moving freely, and Rosie the Riveter edged it towards the floor flipper, where Rot Box lost mobility completely. Rosie the Riveter slowly drove into Rot Box as it was counted out, and then mostly kept its distance while the House Robots attacked the beaten machine. Although Sir Killalot briefly reversed into Rosie the Riveter, which had now seemingly lost mobility, it had already comfortably qualified for the House Robot Rebellion.
- Mick Foley: "Do you think maybe, you may have incurred the wrath of the House Robots, by maybe intentionally taking a shot at our Refbot, who really hasn't ever bothered anybody!"
- Chris Gattman: "Actually, that was an accident, we blew our back speed controller which has been plaguing us all weekend, so... sorry Refbot!"
- — Team Thunderbolt discuss their attack on Refbot, and their late immobility
Prior to the final, Team Juggerbot put metal bars on Rosie the Riveter, as a means of extra offence and defence against the House Robots. Rosie the Riveter, allied with Tut Tut, Silver Box and consistent teammate Tricerabot, took on the House Robots Shunt and Matilda. At no stage in the battle was Rosie the Riveter affected by its speed controller, offering it full movement throughout the fight.
- Rebecca Grant: "How much work, what do you mean, you're worrying me!"
- Chris Gattman: "Well right now we've got a motor that we're trying to get the polarity reversed on, we don't know why..."
- Rebecca Grant: "That's kind of important, Chris!"
- Chris Gattman: "...and a couple of flat tires, but other than that, we're ready to go!"
- — Team Thunderbolt discuss the repairs to Rosie the Riveter before the rebellion
Rosie the Riveter started in an empty CPZ, and initially kept its distance from the House Robots whilst Tricerabot led the offence. Matilda eventually strayed near to Rosie the Riveter while Tricerabot chased her, and Rosie the Riveter briefly bumped into the House Robot, fortunately avoiding her flywheel. On its escape, Rosie the Riveter bumped into teammate Tricerabot, and stuck one of its decorative wings to the front of Tricerabot, where it remained for a while. Rosie the Riveter fled for open space, but was pursued by Shunt, which overpowered Rosie the Riveter's attempted push. Shunt plunged its axe into the gap between Rosie the Riveter's left-hand tyres, narrowly missing the main body of the robot, but still used its scoop to lift the competitor robot from the floor.
- "Wow, it's four-on-two, you never woulda thought that the House Robots would've taken this much punishment!"
- — Stefan Frank
Rosie the Riveter and Shunt continued to duel, until Tricerabot suddenly tipped Matilda over, giving the competitors a sudden advantage which forced Shunt to leave Rosie the Riveter alone. With the House Robots losing momentum, Sir Killalot entered the arena to balance the efforts of the House Robots. In the meantime, Shunt had lost mobility near the Drop Zone square after Tut Tut axed his electrical system off-screen, and Rosie the Riveter rammed the beaten House Robot. This left only Sir Killalot for the competitors to defeat, although Sir Killalot had managed to drop Silver Box into the pit. Noticing that Sir Killalot was overbalancing while pitting Silver Box, Tricerabot wedged under the back of Sir Killalot, and attempted to tip it into the pit. Rosie the Riveter joined in with this effort, attempting to sink the third and final House Robot, until time expired and 'cease' was called.
- Mick Foley: "Rosie the Riveter team, what do you have to say about that, because it looked like your robot was just tryin' to get a little bit of extra gas, and if it hadn't been for the fact Silver Box was in the pit, I think Sir Killalot woulda taken the dive!"
- Chris Gattman: "That's right, all we could do was jab, so we were just going to hit him as hard as we could, straight, back and forth motions and use them to turn us, and it helped us hold him for a little bit!"
- — Team Thunderbolt on their contributions
Team Thunderbolt high-fived their fellow competitors, and although the battle was officially declared a draw, Mick Foley congratulated the four competing teams for what he considered a moral victory over the House Robots.
- "Rosie had already melted down a speed controller and a motor so she was dragging herself around on one wheel with two others in shunt (electric brake) mode. It took about half an hour for the machines to cool off so we could repair them. The English audiences were freakin' awesome, and I became a huge fan of the UK from the whole experience."
- — Chris Gattman on YouTube in December 2018
Season 2[edit | edit source]
- "By the 2nd season there were machines built to take us out, but, the great part was being backstage and seeing the new competitors' faces when they saw Sir K for the first time and realized what they were up against."
- — Chris Gattman on YouTube in December 2018
- Carol Grow: "You were here for the US Championships last season, but you didn't do so well. What do you plan to do differently this time?"
- Chris Gattman: "Well we have an all-new robot with thicker metal, we've got better weapons, we have an active weapon on the front now which is a wedge with a 24V saw."
- Carol Grow: "And your opposition?"
- Chris Gattman: "Our opposition is Night Stalker, who's new, and they're a spinner. I've always wanted to fight a spinner, so we're gonna give it to 'em full-throttle."
- — The team choose a target
Rosie the Riveter 2 waited for Basenji to halt the momentum of Night Stalker's spinner before backing into it, holding it against the Disc of Doom trigger and an empty CPZ. Sir Killalot returned Night Stalker to the center of the arena, so Rosie the Riveter 2 slammed into it backwards, and slammed into Basenji to land another impact on the nearby Night Stalker. Rosie the Riveter 2 pushed Night Stalker back into Sir Killalot, finally immobilising its opponent. While Night Stalker laid immobile after an attack from Sir Killalot, Rosie the Riveter 2 continued to ram into it, and became stuck under Night Stalker, which was being counted out by Refbot. After Sir Killalot separated the two machines and dumped Night Stalker out of the arena, Rosie the Riveter 2 qualified for the second round alongside Basenji.
- Mick Foley: "I gotta admit, it seemed like Rosie the Riveter was pulling the weight for everybody. Was the saw working, or was it just the pushing power of the Riveter that spelled the end for these guys?"
- Chris Gattman: "Well mostly it was the pushing power, we hooked the saw up backwards which loosened the nut, and that flew off. I think we got a couple of good cuts underneath there, haven't had a chance to look yet."
- — Team Juggerbot on the minor issues during the fight
In the second round, Rosie the Riveter 2 faced another newcomer, Techno Trousers.
It attempted to bait out the use of Techno Trousers' weapon, and was struck by the lance, but from this moment onwards, Techno Trousers hardly moved, allowing Rosie the Riveter 2 to control the battle. It drove into the side of Techno Trousers and slammed it into the arena wall. Rosie the Riveter 2 held off, allowing the House Robots to attack Techno Trousers until it wandered over to the Disc of Doom trigger, where Rosie the Riveter 2 slammed it again. Biding its time to wait for movement from Techno Trousers, Rosie the Riveter 2 then drove under the front of Techno Trousers and pushed it back into the arena wall, then reversed it into the opposite wall, bending its spear weapon. Rosie the Riveter 2 pushed Techno Trousers into the pit trigger, and then drove underneath it completely, allowing Rosie the Riveter 2 to carry it all the way over to the pit, dropping it there. With a follow-up slam, Rosie the Riveter 2 reversed Techno Trousers into the pit, and qualified for the Heat Final.
- "Another riveting performance by Rosie!"
- — Mick Foley
In the Heat Final, Rosie the Riveter 2 faced a fellow invertible robot, Darkness.
It started this battle much more quickly, and drove under Darkness to throw it off-balance, then backed it into the arena wall in a direct competition of pushing power. It repeated this tactic near the arena flipper, demonstrating greater power, and then slammed into it nearer the center of the arena. Rosie the Riveter 2 drove under Darkness and maintained this position, moving Darkness towards an angle grinder before driving under it completely, removing a spinning disc from Darkness. The power of Rosie the Riveter 2's speed and shape almost threw Darkness over on another slam, which was visibly bent as Rosie the Riveter 2 pushed it into Dead Metal and the pit trigger. As the match continued, Rosie the Riveter 2 was forced to conserve power, and did not push back strongly when Darkness attacked it, but still moved it over the flame pit to cause Darkness' flags to catch fire. Rosie the Riveter 2 held Darkness in the CPZ, where Sir Killalot held it up. With its final attack, Rosie the Riveter 2 slammed into a limping Darkness, and 'cease' was called. The battle was sent to a Judges' decision, which was unanimously won by Rosie the Riveter 2, allowing it to reach the Grand Final.
- "I think we had better traction, they're an awesome machine, they're really difficult to manoeuvre. We could get under them, but we tried to stay away from the pit because I wasn't sure we'd be able to get 'em in there without going in ourself."
- — Chris Gattman on Darkness
In the eliminator stage of the Grand Final, Rosie the Riveter 2 faced the reigning champion, Panzer Mk 4.
Once the fight started, Rosie the Riveter 2 reversed Panzer Mk 4 into the arena grinder but Panzer Mk 4 got away, allowing both robots to slam into each other's wedges. Rosie the Riveter 2 then drove under the side of Panzer Mk 4, which escaped again and rammed Rosie the Riveter 2 on its side, lifting Rosie the Riveter 2 without managing to turn it over. Both robots briefly engaged in the center of the arena. Lifted up, Rosie the Riveter 2 was then slammed into the CPZ by Panzer Mk 4, where Dead Metal pinned Rosie the Riveter 2 against the pit trigger. Once Rosie the Riveter 2 got away from Dead Metal, Rosie the Riveter 2 pursued its opponent, but Panzer Mk 4 slammed into Rosie the Riveter 2 again and then Panzer Mk 4 fled. Rosie the Riveter 2 followed and tried to get under Panzer Mk 4, but failed after Panzer Mk 4 backed out of the way, and Rosie the Riveter 2 drove straight into the pit, eliminating it from the main competition.
- "They've got an excellent robot, excellent driving, and we knew this was going to be tough from the beginning."
- — Tom Vaeretti on Panzer Mk 4
After their loss in the Championship, Rosie the Riveter 2 once again fought in the House Robot Rebellion competition. In the first round, it faced Night Stalker for a second time.
Rosie the Riveter 2 used its back end to disrupt the spinning motion of Night Stalker, although it was knocked aside by the rotating weapon. Rosie the Riveter 2 was more successful when using its front wedge, disabling the weapon of Night Stalker in combination with a backwards slam while pushing it into the arena wall. It bent the body of Night Stalker by pressing it against the arena wall again, then trapped it in the CPZ. Here, Night Stalker was immobilised by the House Robots. After briefly intervening with the attacks of the House Robots, Rosie the Riveter 2 pushed its lifeless opponent onto the arena flipper, where its victory was confirmed by Refbot counting Night Stalker out.
- "Snake Bite's got a lot of protection, but Rosie's got all the agility! And just goes right into the side of Snake Bite immediately, staying away from any weapons that might get in the way!"
- — Stefan Frank in the battle against Snake Bite
Rosie the Riveter 2 was the aggressor in the opening stages, reversing into the side of Snake Bite to push it backwards. Snake Bite was able to threaten Rosie the Riveter 2 into backing away, pressing the Disc of Doom trigger. Rosie the Riveter 2 attempted to drive under the side of Snake Bite, but drove up the lower wedge of its opponent, and was pushed all the way into an empty CPZ. Matilda charged in and damaged both robots with her flywheel, although Rosie the Riveter 2 quickly recovered to ram Snake Bite into an angle grinder. However, it once again drove up the wedge of Snake Bite, which held Rosie the Riveter 2 in place, maintaining ground. This was repeated shortly afterwards when Rosie the Riveter 2's attack caused it to drive up the wedge of Snake Bite, limiting its traction as Snake Bite held it over a flame jet, and into Refbot. In the late stages, Rosie the Riveter 2 pinned Snake Bite against Sgt. Bash, and backed into it using its rear blades, before 'cease' was called.
- "One of the closest contests ever, here at Robot Wars!"
- — Mick Foley
The resulting Judges' decision was extremely close, but a split decision awarded the win to Snake Bite, despite one judge vouching for Rosie the Riveter 2. Thus, Rosie the Riveter 2 would not participate in its second battle against the House Robots.
Nickelodeon[edit | edit source]
Rosie the Riveter 2 also competed in Nickelodeon Robot Wars, under the driving of the young Anthony "Tony" Light, captain of Team Logoseye. It entered two events, the first of which was the Mayhem competition, where Rosie the Riveter 2 fought a fellow US finalist in Propeller-Head, alongside Xylon.
- "We're here to damage some robots and damage some metal!"
- — Anthony Light
Rosie the Riveter 2 initially stayed in the center of the arena, and sustained an early blow from the spinning bar of Propeller-Head. On the offence, Rosie the Riveter 2 drove straight for Xylon, but moved up the wedge of its opponent, and was pushed back across the arena. Rosie the Riveter 2 then crashed into Refbot, whilst Propeller-Head caused damage to Xylon. Rosie the Riveter 2 capitalized, ramming into the back of Xylon, which removed a side panel from Xylon and bent other panels of its armor as well
- "Rosie rips off a piece of Xylon's casing, just sitting there in the middle of the arena, and now Rosie's going for Propeller-Head!"
- — Stefan Frank
Continuing its attack, Rosie the Riveter 2 also briefly wedged under Propeller-Head, causing the bar spinner to hit Xylon. Rosie the Riveter 2 retreated, and then came in for another attack, pushing Propeller-Head back across the arena, and all the way into an empty CPZ. When Shunt and Matilda closed in, Rosie the Riveter 2 drove straight under Matilda and pushed the House Robot into the side wall, forcing Shunt to retaliate with an axe blow and a lift from its scoop, before Rosie the Riveter 2 escaped.
- "Rosie goes out to the center of the arena and takes a great run! There's Anthony Light, twelve years old, doing a great job out there for Rosie!"
- — Stefan Frank
Rosie the Riveter 2 was relatively unharmed, but sustained a ram from Xylon on its path to press the pit trigger. Rosie the Riveter 2 and Propeller-Head rammed Xylon together, when suddenly, Xylon drove underneath Propeller-Head entirely, and all three robots converged into a pile, scrambling to gain an advantage, before separating once again. Rosie the Riveter 2's solid control throughout the fight then experienced a momentary lapse, when Anthony Light backed his robot onto the lip of the pit, almost putting his machine out of the competition. In the closing stages of the fight, Rosie the Riveter 2 drove under Propeller-Head, pushing it back, although this allowed Propeller-Head to strike Xylon and earn more damage points. In the final ten seconds, Rosie the Riveter 2 and Xylon both suffered direct blows from the spinner of Propeller-Head, and started to bear damage, as 'cease' was called.
- "Rosie the Riveter was dominating in the beginning of that round, but Propeller-Head knew how to dish it out, and even Xylon was in on the act, although it took some mean hits!"
- — Stefan Frank while reviewing the highlights
The battle was sent to a Judges' decision, and Dave Aizer noted that the Judges had a difficult time declaring a winner, but ultimately Rosie the Riveter 2 lost the battle to Propeller-Head, which eliminated Rosie the Riveter 2 from the Mayhem competition.
- "Well we can only hope that every match is as good as that one was!"
- — Dave Aizer
The second appearance of Rosie the Riveter 2 in Nickelodeon Robot Wars saw it battle Tut Tut during the Challenge Belt competition, in an effort to take the belt away from the current holder. Tut Tut was captained by Mike Morrow, making this fight a clash of Team Juggerbot entries. The fight was Tut Tut's first attempt to defend its belt, and the winner would become the new Challenge Belt holder. Rosie the Riveter 2's cutting disc was covered in this fight, and did not serve as an active weapon.
- "We're gonna easily take the belt from Tut Tut!"
- — Anthony Light
Rosie the Riveter 2 swerved in its opening drive, causing Tut Tut to miss with its first axe blow, and this gave Team Logoseye the opportunity to push Tut Tut into the arena wall, wedging underneath the loanerbot. However, when Rosie the Riveter 2 released Tut Tut, it sustained an axe blow to its thin lid. This allowed Tut Tut to drag Rosie the Riveter 2 back, bringing it over to the floor flipper with its axe still embedded in the top of the machine. When Tut Tut released its axe, Rosie the Riveter 2 was forced to retreat.
- "Rosie's having a little trouble there, not too much lateral movement with that bot, but plenty of power and speed when he gets a good run at it!"
- — Stefan Frank
After composing itself, Rosie the Riveter 2 drove straight into Tut Tut, bringing it into the air with a powerful charge. With Tut Tut stuck on the wedge, Rosie the Riveter 2 charged it across the arena, and carried it into a CPZ where Shunt directly axed the wheel of Tut Tut. When Tut Tut attempted to dismount from Rosie the Riveter 2, it became stuck on the rear hooks of Team Logoseye's machine, allowing Rosie the Riveter 2 to drag Tut Tut across the arena, closing the attack by reversing Tut Tut back into the arena wall near where the attack started.
- "Now there's a bit of a piggyback ride, with Rosie as the tractor pull!"
- — Stefan Frank
The battle moved over to the inactive flame pit, but when Rosie the Riveter 2 backed away from Tut Tut, its top armour was once again spiked by the axe of Tut Tut. In retaliation, Rosie the Riveter 2 drove under the front of Tut Tut, albeit Rosie the Riveter 2 grazed an angle grinder, and opened it up to another axe blow. Starting to lose its advantage, Rosie the Riveter 2's wheel hubs were hooked by the axe of Tut Tut, which also allowed Tut Tut to wedge under Rosie the Riveter 2 and cause it to free-wheel on its escape, briefly moving forwards on its right-hand wheels only. Rosie the Riveter 2 pressed the spinning disc trigger, but Tut Tut closed in to land another axe blow, visibly embedding itself in the back of Rosie the Riveter 2.
- "What a great tussle this is, not a clear winner here, as another great strategy move, Rosie goes into the pit trigger and runs over the pit before it opens, great move there!"
- — Stefan Frank
Forced to make another tactical measure, Rosie the Riveter 2 backed into the pit trigger, sustaining another light axe attack on its way there, and Rosie the Riveter 2 skirted across the opening pit on its way back to Tut Tut. There, Rosie the Riveter 2 drove onto the inactive flame pit, and pinned Tut Tut against the arena wall, doused in steam. Shunt separated the two machines, and Tut Tut was slow to escape, while Rosie the Riveter 2 roamed the arena, until it drove into Tut Tut to suffer one last axe blow, with both robots pushing and pulling each other onto the arena disc spinner before 'cease' was called.
- "Tut Tut was quick with the axe, but Rosie was even quicker with the movement! Right from the beginning, this was a close battle! I'd hate to be a judge here!"
- — Stefan Frank
The Judges found the battle to be extremely close, and arrived at a split decision, where although one judge favored Rosie the Riveter 2 as the victor, the Challenge Belt was ultimately maintained by its original holder, Tut Tut. As a result, Rosie the Riveter 2 lost the battle between two representatives of Team Juggerbot, and this proved to be its final appearance on Robot Wars.
- Dave Aizer: "The team of Rosie the Riveter, really like I said guys, could've gone either way. What were your thoughts on the match?"
- Anthony Light: "I played it to the best of my ability, but I guess it wasn't good enough."
- Dave Aizer: "I wouldn't say that, because I think it was good enough to entertain everybody, which is really the most important thing."
- — Team Logoseye are complimented on a good performance
Results[edit | edit source]
|ROSIE THE RIVETER - RESULTS|
Final (with Silver Box, Tut Tut & Tricerabot)
|Eliminator||vs. Rot Box||Won|
|Final||vs. Matilda, Shunt & Sir Killalot||No winner|
|Tag Team Terror|
Competing with Tricerabot, Third Place
|Round 1||vs. Drillzilla & Tut Tut||Lost|
|Playoff||vs. Joker & Falcon||Won|
|War of Independence|
Representing the USA, Semi-Final
|Eliminator||vs. Plunderbird 5 (UK)||Won|
|Semi-Final||vs. Pussycat (UK)||Lost|
Eliminated in Heats
|Heat||vs. Close Enough, Mad Cow, Manta, Rippa Raptor, Tiger Cat||Eliminated|
|ROSIE THE RIVETER 2 - RESULTS|
Grand Final, Round 1
|Heat E, Round 1||vs. Basenji, Night Stalker||Qualified|
|Heat E, Round 2||vs. Techno Trousers||Won|
|Heat E, Final||vs. Darkness||Won|
|Grand Final, Round 1||vs. Panzer Mk 4||Lost|
|Round 1||vs. Night Stalker||Won|
|Round 2||vs. Snake Bite||Lost|
|Round 1||vs. Propeller-Head, Xylon||Eliminated|
|Challenge Belt||vs. Tut Tut||Lost|
Wins/Losses[edit | edit source]
- Wins: 7
- Losses: 7
NOTE: The House Robot Rebellion from Season 1 is not included
Series Record[edit | edit source]
|US Series||Rosie the Riveter Series Record|
|Season 1||Heat (Round 1)|
Entered with Tricerabot
|Season 2||Grand Final, Round 1|
Entered with Tricerabot 3.0
Entered with Tut Tut
Outside Robot Wars[edit | edit source]
The original version of Rosie the Riveter fought in Season 1 of Robotica as Juggerbot where it finished as runner-up to Run Amok, while the second version fought in Season 3 where it was painted black and renamed Logoseye, but lost to Da Claw in its heat despite a good performance.
Appearances in Merchandise[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The team name Logoseye comes from Chris Gattman's band.
- The US Season 1 version of Rosie the Riveter had a J1 logo painted on its side and rear, referencing its origin as an altered and renamed version of the original Juggerbot.
- Rosie the Riveter is one of four Grand Finalists to have an even win/loss ratio, alongside Bodyhammer, The Revolutionist and Tyke.
External Links[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]