Despite applying, it was declined a place on the show and it is unknown whether the robot reapplied for the following series or was ever completed.
Scorpinator was a long, two-wheel drive robot designed to resemble a scorpion. The chassis was long and relatively narrow, with the front coming to a point and forming a triangular wedge. It also featured a long "tail" which could swing from overhead and act as an axe weapon, very similar to that of early US Robot Wars competitor Red Scorpion.
As well as the tail, Scorpinator featured four star-shaped undercutting blades. Each blade was custom-made from aluminium, and had five steel strips bolted to the undersides to absorb impacts, according to team captain Lee Wilson. The robot was also supposed to have a lifting nose, however this was scrapped due to weight restrictions.
Though it is unknown exactly when construction began, Team Wilson created a Facebook page for Scorpinator and uploaded an application video to YouTube in October 2016. However, the page's first update was to announce that they had not been selected for Series 9.
- "Well, I officially know me and Scorpinator didn't get a slot in RWS2 now. The RW guys, whilst obviously not being able to say anything concrete said they were waiting on the TV Commissioner re a potential RWS3."
- — Team Wilson confirm their rejection
Team captain Lee Wilson was not deterred by this news, posting regular updates on his progress throughout late 2016 and the majority of the following year. Their latest post followed a five-month hiatus, acknowleding interest in the robot and confirming plans to delay further progress until he had relocated to the USA, possibly inferring an attempt to compete in Battlebots, as Robot Wars was officially cancelled only a couple of weeks after this most recent update.
- ""146 people who like Scorpinator - Robot Wars haven't heard from you in a while." - Well Hear me now.... Scorp is on hold til I settle in the USA"
- — Team Wilson announce their long-term plan for Scorpinator
As of 2021, there have been no further updates on Scorpinator. It has not competed on either the UK or US live scene, with the robot likely remaining unfinished.
- "I went over to help with the build the guy had some great ideas but really it was goimg to be to much for one robot"
- — Team member Alex Hall discusses Scorpinator in the Unofficial Robot Wars Facebook group
|Series||Scorpinator Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Not selected|
|Series 10||Did not enter|