- "Robot Wars veterans from the Dartford Girls Grammar but with hopes that this will be no mere shadow of napalm. A large spike, a lifting mechanism, Kevlar shell, titanium. It's all there, but shadows can evaporate under the spotlight."
- — Jonathan Pearce
Shadow of Napalm was the third robot entered by Dartford Girls Grammar. A derivative of Napalm, it fought in the Fourth Wars and lost in the second round to Dominator 2. However, for unknown reasons, Dartford Girls Grammar entered predecessor Detonator in the War of Independence, and brought Napalm back out of retirement for the following wars.
- "It's got front lifters, its got back...pointy sticky things, and its even got shower fittings."
- — David Crosby
Shadow of Napalm eschewed the battering ram shape of its predecessor in favour of a regular wedge. Comments from Julia Reed suggest that whilst Shadow of Napalm's exterior was very different, its internals were improved versions of Napalm's, rather than having been built from scratch. Its shell was constructed from Kevlar with elements of aluminium and titanium, with a 24 electric wheelchair motor. Its ground clearance was stated to be 5cm, but was noticeably different all around, with very high clearance at the back of the robot where it ran on a castor wheel.
Its weaponry consisted of a large lifting arm at the front and a small spike on the back of the robot. The front weapon was powered by a linear actuator and was capable of acting as a clamp, though it was unable to flip or clamp in its battles.
- Main article: Dartford Girls Grammar
Shadow of Napalm was built by representatives of Dartford Girls Grammar School. Technology teacher David Crosby captained the team, and also drove Shadow of Napalm in battle. His students Clare Greenaway and Victoria Allgood were also present on the teams to assist with maintenance and participate in interviews.
- "For series 4, a new 'bot was constructed - SHADOW OF NAPALM. This 'bot just didn't meet the spec's set out. We had difficulties with the body shell as it continued to rub on the wheels. Without the shell, S.O.N ran very well, but it wouldn't have been much good in a fight."
- — Team captain David Crosby talks about the flaws of Shadow of Napalm
At the start of the battle all three robots charged at each other with Disc-O-Inferno's weapon causing some minor dents to the fragile armour. However, Disc-O-Inferno made contact with Shadow of Napalm and the electronics short circuited, causing the machine to turn off. Major Tom rammed Shadow of Napalm, but whilst Shadow of Napalm and Disc-O-Inferno both looked very lacking in mobility, Shadow of Napalm managed to move sluggishly away.
- "I think everyone in the Robot Wars arena, the crowd would like to see the Dartford girls do well. But the question is their machine, Shadow of Napalm, is it strong enough to withstand the axe of Dominator 2?"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Shadow of Napalm was then placed against Dominator 2, newcomers to the main competition.
Dominator 2 relentlessly hammered Shadow of Napalm with its spiked axe. Holes were punched in Shadow of Napalm, and after managing to escape Sir Killalot, Shadow of Napalm broke down. Shadow of Napalm held on against Dominator 2 and Matilda to prevent itself going into the pit, before it finally went down when Sir Killalot intervened, with help from Matilda. As Shadow of Napalm fell into the pit, its chassis split in half.
- "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning! Smells like victory, but the victory goes to Dominator 2!"
- — Craig Charles
It is possible that the damage sustained by Shadow of Napalm prevented it from being able to compete in the War of Independence after the team were called up to replace Hypno-Disc, hence why they used their original robot Detonator. The official guide for Robot Wars Extreme stated that Shadow of Napalm had been left as a "pile of junk", suggesting that the damage caused by Dominator 2 had been more severe than made apparent.
|SHADOW OF NAPALM - RESULTS|
|The Fourth Wars - UK Championship|
25th Seed, Heat Semi-Final
|Heat E, Eliminator||vs. Disc-O-Inferno, Major Tom||Qualified|
|Heat E, Semi-Final||vs. Dominator 2||Lost|
- Wins: 1
- Losses: 1
|Main Series||Shadow of Napalm Series Record|
|The First Wars||Entered with Detonator|
|The Second Wars||Entered with Napalm|
|The Third Wars||Entered with Napalm|
|The Fourth Wars|| Heat, Round 2|
War of Independence with Detonator
|The Fifth Wars||Entered with Napalm 2|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
|Robot Wars Extreme||Appearances|
|Series 1||Entered with Napalm and Napalm 2|
|Series 2||Did not enter|
- In the Fourth Wars recap, Shadow of Napalm was erroneously called Son of Napalm by Jonathan Pearce.