- "Named after the patron saint of roboteers."
- — Jonathan Pearce
St. Agro was a competitor robot that fought in Series 6 and 7 of Robot Wars. It was eliminated in the first round of Series 6, but won its heat in Series 7 over Ceros and reached the Semi-Finals, losing to eventual Grand Finalist X-Terminator there. St. Agro's name was a pun on the team's home town, St Agnes.
St. Agro was a two-wheeled, invertible wedge-shaped robot driven by a pair of 800W motors with custom-made gearboxes, and featuring a chassis and batteries salvaged from a Merlin helicopter. The robot was armed with an unusual "double-sided double flipper", which was a pneumatic flipper that would open out on both the top and bottom of the robot with the aid of four linkage bars attached to the piston. This allowed St. Agro to attack efficiently even when it was inverted, while the robot also featured a top speed of 12 mph. However, the robot had a limited CO2 supply as with all other flipper-wielding robots, and had exposed wheels which could easily be damaged.
St. Agro initially had black wheels with rubber tyres for its Series 6 appearance, which were changed to custom five-spoke wheels for Series 7. St. Agro also used different wheels in its official photo for Series 7, seen on the statistics board.
St. Agro was entered into Robot Wars by a team known as Trelawneys Robot Army, who were based in St. Agnes in Cornwall, hence the robot's name. The team was captained by Terry Carlin, who was consistently joined by Michael Carlin (also referred to on-screen as Michael Gambon) in all of his appearances. For Series 6 only, Andru Blewett joined the team, while the young Benjamin Carlin took his place in Series 7. In all of their appearances, the team wore floral Hawaiian shirts "for good luck", a style which was frequently mentioned by the presenters of Robot Wars, including the ridicule of Jonathan Pearce.
St. Agro first attempted to enter Series 4, but failed to qualify after it did not work at the qualifiers.
- "We competed with St. Agro in the Robot Mayhem Event last year. It refused to move out of the gate for our second battle (duff crimp joint). We got the build wrong in that we used steel as the primary construction element. Our bot was only just in the weight limit with no allowance left for a weapon"
- — St. Agro website
St. Agro then tried to enter Series 5, but failed to qualify again due to its weapon not working.
- "This year at the Robot Wars series V trials we failed again. Our weapon didn't function. We had a dead mans switch wired in through a relay and servo. The servo wasn't in the right position so no weapon"
- — St. Agro website
St. Agro qualified for Series 6 after defeating Nasty Humphrey at the qualifiers, once the battery lead to Nasty Humphrey's receiver disconnected. St. Agro would also successfully qualify for Series 7.
Trelawneys Robot Army would later attempt to enter a brand-new robot armed with a bar spinner into Series 9, named S.C.A.R., short for Steel City Agro. However, the robot was not selected to compete. Maelstrom, a robot which replicated the design of St. Agro, also attempted to qualify for Series 8 under Team Shock, but was rejected in favour of Shockwave from the same team.
|Armament! This Robot Wars article is in need of rewriting to bring it up to a higher standard. You can help Robot Wars Wiki by rewriting it.|
- "Saints alive, look at this! And wait for the shirts!"
- — Jonathan Pearce introduces St. Agro
St. Agro began by attacking Warhog, pushing it slowly towards the arena wall, St. Agro wedged underneath Warhog, but couldn't fire its flippers in time before Warhog got away. Its flippers then became stuck open, so it stayed out of the way of the other three robots as it hit the pit release. Unfortunately, its lack of a working weapon left it completely defenceless, and S.M.I.D.S.Y came up behind it and pushed it down the pit, eliminating it from the competition. After a fairly heated battle, St. Agro was eventually followed by Warhog as S.M.I.D.S.Y. gave it a piggy-back to the pit.
In contrast to its appearance in the Sixth Wars, St. Agro proved itself a powerful machine in its opening match of Series 7 where it was placed up against Robot Wars veterans Mega Hurts LT and Revolution 3, along with newcomers The Scrapper.
In the battle, the Cornish machine began by constantly flipping Mega Hurts around the arena, with the Laptop constantly recovering well. St. Agro then eyed up the limping Scrapper machine and brought it over to the arena side wall, before flipping the newcomers clean out of the arena. St. Agro then turned its attention back to Mega Hurts LT, trying to do the same to them. St. Agro couldn't flip Mega Hurts LT out, so it merely flipped it over instead, with Mega Hurts LT unable to self-right. The Refbot counted it out, and Growler eventually put it down the pit. St. Agro went through to the next round, despite its flipper being locked wide open by the end of the battle, along with Revolution 3, who had also stopped moving.
In the second round of the heat, St. Agro was placed up against Dutch series finalist Scraptosaur.
- "St. Agro has been one of the most impressive robots we've seen in Robot Wars: The Seventh Wars."
- — Jonathan Pearce, at the start of the second round battle
St. Agro was flipped many times by Scraptosaur, but since it was invertible, and the Dutch robot's flipper couldn't flip it very far, it was unaffected. St. Agro eventually managed to get under Scraptosaur and flip it over. Scraptosaur couldn't self-right as it had used up too much CO2 when flipping St. Agro, so it was counted out, and St. Agro went through to the Heat Final.
In the Heat Final, it faced newcomers Ceros in another battle of flippers.
St. Agro flipped Ceros, but it self-righted. It then pressed the pit release button, and came extremely close to shoving Ceros into the pit, but Ceros refused to let it. By accident, St. Agro steered into a CPZ, where Matilda took a big chunk out of its exposed wheel. It flipped Ceros again, but crucially, Matilda wandered from her CPZ and accidentally got in Ceros' way at just the moment it came down. This meant Ceros ran out of gas and couldn't self-right. St. Agro did a victory wheelie, while Matilda tossed the defeated Ceros out of the arena with her flywheel, putting St. Agro through to the Semi-Finals.
St. Agro was placed in the first of the two Series Semi-Finals, against the number eleven seeds X-Terminator in the first round.
In this battle, St. Agro tried to get under X-Terminator, but X-Terminator buckled one of its flippers with its flywheel. X-Terminator then smashed the wheel of St. Agro in a similar fashion to Matilda in its Heat Final. St. Agro went for the pit release button, only to have X-Terminator get underneath it and grind away at its underside. St. Agro was now immobile, and after it had been counted out, X-Terminator pushed it into Matilda's CPZ, where the house robot tore up St. Agro's armour and wheel. After being thrown by the floor flipper, St. Agro was finally put out of its misery by X-Terminator, who pushed St. Agro into the pit of oblivion. St. Agro was subsequently eliminated from the competition.
|ST. AGRO - RESULTS|
|The Sixth Wars - UK Championship|
Heat, Round 1
|Heat J, Round 1||vs. Comengetorix, S.M.I.D.S.Y., Warhog||Eliminated|
|The Seventh Wars - UK Championship|
Semi-Finals, Round 1
|Heat H, Round 1||vs. Mega Hurts LT, Revolution 3, The Scrapper||Qualified|
|Heat H, Round 2||vs. Scraptosaur||Won|
|Heat H, Final||vs. Ceros||Won|
|Semi-Final 1, Round 1||vs. X-Terminator (11)||Lost|
- Wins: 3
- Losses: 2
|Series||St. Agro Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars|| Failed to qualify|
Failed to qualify with Tor
|The Fifth Wars|| Failed to qualify|
Failed to qualify with Pendragon
|The Sixth Wars||Heat, Round 1|
|The Seventh Wars||Semi-Final, Round 1|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Not selected with S.C.A.R.|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
Outside Robot WarsEdit
The Series 4 version of St. Agro, among other Robot Wars competitors such as Killertron, Wheely Big Cheese, Eye of Newt, Tor, Rottweiler 2 and Miss Struts, took part in the 2000 Children in Need event which consisted of tug of war, battles and sumo matches .
A notable incident involving St. Agro happened at a live event where the robot's weaponry had not been fitted with a locking bar, and the flippers fired randomly in the pits. Although this accident did not harm anyone in attendance, this led to the enforcement of locking bars at live events, and subsequently the Robot Wars reboot, whereby all flipping mechanisms must be locked whenever the robot is not in battle.
- St. Agro's official photo for Series 7, seen on its statistics board, shows St. Agro using different wheels to the wheels it used in the arena.
- St. Agro's defeat in Round 1 of The Sixth Wars was the only time a robot from Cornwall fought in the main competition but did not win its heat, a record which St. Agro rectified in the Seventh Wars.
- St. Agro's team was one of only two Cornish teams to enter the main competition of the show, alongside Bodmin Community College. Coincidentally, both teams featured different members with the surname Blewett.
- The only house robot which never shared the arena with St. Agro was Sgt. Bash despite him appearing in all episodes that St. Agro appeared in.
- Despite having a similar name, this robot had no relation to Aggrobot.
- Both of St. Agro's losses involved it being pitted.
- In both of those losses, Shunt was present.
- Both robots that pitted St. Agro (S.M.I.D.S.Y. and X-Terminator) fought each other in the Extreme 2 Tag Team Terror.
- St. Agro was the only newcomer in Heat J of Series 6.
- Of all the robots that debuted in Series 6, St. Agro was the only one to improve its performance in Series 7, reaching the semi-finals of that series.
- St. Agro was the only robot to defeat Scraptosaur that was not from the Netherlands.
- In both of St. Agro's heat appearances, it fought in the second melee and was the second robot to be introduced in the melee.
- In both of its first round melees in the heat, St. Agro's flippers got stuck open.