Heat Restructure Edit
I'm proposing a completely new structure for the Series 3 Heats, and if it works, all heat and competition pages in general
For one, I don't like having the robot stats in there. Its unnecessary, lots of work when I want to make a new page, and takes up a lot of room.
Secondly, I think we should condense it to a list of robots, and divide them into categories - newcomers and veterans (based on the teams, not the robots).
Thirdly, it should be noted whose Pinball/Soccer trial took place in respective heats. Whether we'd structure it like Series 7 and have it at the bottom, or whether we'd insert it chronologically, I'm not sure.
Fourth, I now disagree with fannish, clever captions for the pictures. They should be more professional, so can people please alter them?
- Ok, I know you didn't ask here, but I'm in favour of the new headings; they look a lot better than bullets. Anyways, your things.
- Actually, I like the way the stats look; it helps demonstrate comparisons of the robots competing.
- I like that idea though, just make it clear that even if a robot is completely changed, it still is considered a "veteran."
- Since we're not actually writing a summary into the heat page, leaving it at the bottom is fine.
- I haven't seen any "fannish" captions on the pages I checked. Can you point out a few?
- I've corrected some on Heat M, so you can see them there.
Competing Robots order Edit
May I point out that on the fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh wars pages, we have all competitor robots in order, for example:
Competing Robots: Brimhur, Weeliwako, Mace 2, Stinger, Raizer Blade, Red Dragon, Forklift's Revenge, Suicidal Tendencies
Round 1 Mace 2 vs Stinger: Mace 2 won Forklift's Revenge vs Suicidal Tendencies: Suicidal Tendencies won Brimhur vs Weeliwako: Weeliwako won Raizer Blade vs Red Dragon: Raizer Blade won
Round 2 Mace 2 vs Weeliwako: Mace 2 won Raizer Blade vs Suicidal Tendencies: Suicidal Tendencies won
Round 3 Mace 2 vs Suicidal Tendencies: Mace 2 won
- Battles should all be listed by broadcast order, if they aren't they need to move. Toon Ganondorf (t c) 21:17, August 24, 2016 (UTC)
Producer chat room revelations Edit
Back on Tinweb again (https://web.archive.org/web/20010521153639/http://www.tinweb.com:80/discus/messages/350/1723.html?WednesdaySeptember2919990419pm), there was discussion over chat room sessions several roboteers would have with members of the production team. Stuff in bold are things I found quite interesting.
- Roboteers seen in the room at various times included Kim (panic attack), John reid (killerhurtz), Pete (nemesis), arfa (mortis), Zippy (Typhoon), Adam (Corporal Punishment), Behemoth, Edgehog, Mark Howell, Feoras, iani, dbqb, deepbot tectonicrw, maff, colin and charlie, rainerd and others. Edgehog was perhaps the most notable username there; perhaps there was a Series 3 version of Edge Hog?
- There may have been a hint but nothing definite although the existing robots were rumoured to be heavily upgraded and with more interchangeable weapon packs installed. Derek threatened a new house robot based on a land rover, but we all hoped that was just a bit of a wind up!. Well, there were no new House Robots, although this might be proof that a new House Robot was considered at some point (or it was a joke :P). Also, the interchangeable weapon packs sounds interesting, similar to how later on Matilda could use both her chainsaw and flywheel in Extreme Warriors.
- The Tag matches and games will be held after a robot has fought in the heavyweight comp in each 3 day segment. This is to avoid competitors being damaged in a tag match and not being able to carry on in the heavyweight fight which is good news. The games are no longer compulsory and will now be in a separate competition. The format of the tag battles is not set in stone yet but derek suggested that it seems that around a max of 3 per tag-team is manageable with the transmitter control and frequency allocation. Its also mainly up to competitors to suggest tag match ups and grudges on the day as well. There will be 'safe' tag zones in the arena but all comments on how these are to be fought are welcome below. Oh, and of course the house robots will be there as referees. Yeah, a lot of this in general is interesting.
- It is likely that there will be a european special with the euro-entries, and mostly they will be grouped together. Guessing this would have consisted of machines such as Depoppesaurus Rex, Techno-Lease and others.
Mary-Jane Burkett did not have her own chat session, but this message I still find interesting.
- "Key members of the production team will be hosting a regular ‘chat session’ on this site (the official site) every Tuesday evening (commencing 14 September) from 7pm - 9pm. We’d genuinely like you to have say in the future of Robot Wars, so please use this opportunity to raise any concerns you have, discuss the show, chat about rules and regulations etc. If you need to speak to the Robot Wars office, please contact Mary-Jane Burkett on [phone number removed]." I might contact Drop Zone, he is very good at finding personnel involved in Robot Wars.
- Confirmation of World Championships involving Australia, Greece, Ireland, Sweden, Netherlands, Britain and hopefully one or two more to come. In London, end Oct. Straight to video? So, there might have been a Swedish machine before Whirlpool 70 (unless it was an older version of that machine). Also, a robot from Greece? Did Robot Wars ever have a Greek machine? Not sure I remember one.
- More 'seeds' in show. More of a sporting feel. Now this is perhaps the most important fact found on this page, which could have changed the course of Series 3 had seeds been properly implemented. Were they removed because of organisation issues stemming from the behind-the-scenes incident, I wonder? Still, at least we know there were meant to be seeds in Series 3 prior to filming.
- Tshirts allowed. No white/striped and no commercial adverts. Website adverts are being investigated. Just something I found quite amusing.
- This is the gift that keeps on giving.Diotoir the son of nemesis (talk) 14:05, December 8, 2018 (UTC)
Some random finds on the archive Edit
Looking on the archive I made some interesting finds a about before Series 3.
Firstly there was plans for live events based on the original US Robot Wars.
- "At the time of writing we are confident that there will be a third series of Robot Wars in the Autumn of 1999 and robot warriors can also look forward to live events based on the original San Francisco competition. The first official live event is likely to be later in the Year. Watch this space for more details.."
- — Website
Plans for toys were made way back in 1998:
- "New Merchandise Very shortly, dedicated fans of Robot Wars will need to look no further than their local High Street for a range of robotic merchandise. It is rumoured that there will also be a range of radio-controlled toys and models based on the House Robots, as well as video and board games in the longer term.
Robot Wars Magazine Plans for a monthly Robot Wars magazine are thought to have begun, with a number of publishers submitting proposals. Should you be interested in contributing to a regular publication dedicated to Robot Wars and other robotic activities, please e-mail us."
- — Website
Some Behind the scene on the International Events and their planning:
- "Unconfirmed dates for the 'International Robot Wars Live' event are for later this year. Location is yet to be decided although it has been suggested that it will feature robots from the US and the rest of Europe. Permanent Battle Arena It is rumoured that the TV version of Robot Wars will relocate to a new venue for its third and subsequent series. Apparently the show's existing Royal Victoria Docks venue - very close to the Millennium Dome - is going to be re-developed as an exhibition centre. As Robot Wars grows, it now makes sense to find and construct a permanent battle arena for all future productions and events."
- — Website
Here's an old Series 2 image of SGT Bash's stats, the others are available but images don't show. This seems unchanged for Series 3 strangely.
There's the Archive section which I did access to see the thumbnails. However it seems there were more that had Series 2 "unreleased images" however they cannot be accessed. Diotoir the son of nemesis (talk) 19:29, July 7, 2019 (UTC)