Tantrum was a series of robots that entered the second and third series of Robot Wars, known as T 2 in the latter. Tantrum fell at the Trial stage of its heat in Series 2, but advanced to the second round in combat during Series 3, falling to a controversial Judges' decision against The Darke Destroyer.
Versions of TantrumEdit
Tantrum was a red boxed shaped robot from Series 2 of Robot Wars. It had 8 wheels, with 6 front wheels in a pyramid configuration, similar to Trident. Its weapons were a sharpened steel flail, 25mm in diameter, that spun at 1000rpm, and a spring loaded rear ramming bumper. Tantrum cost £500 and 200 hours to construct.
For Series 3, the team re-entered the show with T 2 (Tantrum 2, but it was stylised as T II), a similar robot with a rounded front that vaguely resembled an Old Western Locomotive but with a tank-steering mechanism and a cowcatcher as its lifter which the team claimed could lift 300lbs, although the figure stated on the statistics board was 13 stone (or 182lbs). It was described by Philippa Forrester as "Thomas the Tank Engine with a punk-rocker haircut". It was capable of travelling at 15mph.
Tantrum and T 2 qualified for Series 2 and 3 respectively through attending the auditions.
Following the filming of the Third Wars, the team revised T 2, painting it orange with black spots, giving it an axe weapon and renaming it T 2 R Special. This version of the robot failed to qualify for the Fourth Wars. T 2 R Special attended the qualifiers for Series 4, and was drawn in a battle against future semi-finalist Tornado. T 2 R Special lost the battle, and subsequently failed to qualify for the main competition.
Tantrum competed in Heat B. Tantrum was quick in the Gauntlet. It sped through the barrels, up the see-saw and past Sergeant Bash to complete the course in the fastest time.
However, in the Tug-of-War Trial, it did not have enough grip or power and was pulled into the Pit by Dead Metal in 16.15 seconds, just two seconds behind Wheelosaurus, eliminating it from the competition.
- "Tantalising, teetering, tottering, toppling, toppling, Tantrum... totalled!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Dead Metal pulled Tantrum into the pit in the Trials
At the end of the series, the team was nominated for the Sportsmanship award, but lost out to Plunderbird 2.
In its first round, T 2 faced newcomers Vector, which never got going. Having immobilised Vector by shoving it into the wall, T 2 reversed away from Matilda, but reversed too far and drove into the pit. However, the judges ruled that Vector had been immobile long enough to be considered out before T 2 drove into the pit, therefore T 2 progressed into the next round instead.
- "Let's be honest, Vector didn't do anything-I think that's key. See I think Vector was immobilised right from the start, therefore T 2 should go through."
- — Jonathan Pearce's opinion
In the next round, it faced another newcomer in The Darke Destroyer. T 2 was able to control The Darke Destroyer by pushing it into the CPZ's several times, though it did take damage by driving into a flame jet and also took damage from The Darke Destroyer's blade, including buckling its front ram. T 2 pushed into The Darke Destroyer, raising its own front off the ground, but its rear-mounted wheels allowed it to push The Darke Destroyer into the side walls and almost overturn its opponent. When this failed, T 2 pulled away, only just escaped Dead Metal, and pushed The Darke Destroyer around, taking one blow that caused it to jump slightly. When cease was called, a split and controversial decision put The Darke Destroyer through, prompting some boos from the audience.
- "It came through mainly on aggression, on the fact that their weapon was much more aggressive - and we did talk before, about you not having any weapons."
- — Philippa Forrester to T 2 after the battle
|TANTRUM - RESULTS|
|The Second Wars - UK Championship|
|Heat B, Gauntlet||Completed (1st)||Qualified|
|Heat B, Trial (Tug of War)||16.15 seconds (5th)||Eliminated|
|T 2 - RESULTS|
|The Third Wars - UK Championship|
Heats, Round 2
|Heat F, Round 1||vs. Vector||Won|
|Heat F, Round 2||vs. The Darke Destroyer||Lost|
- Wins: 1
- Losses: 1
NOTE: Tantrum's Gauntlet and Trial runs are not included
|Series||Tantrum Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Heat, Trial (Tantrum)|
|The Third Wars||Heat, Round 2 (T 2)|
|The Fourth Wars||Failed to qualify (T 2 R Special)|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
Outside Robot WarsEdit
The Team entered Techno Games 2002 with a robot called Smash N' Grab, which competed in the Assault Course and in the football competition as Celestial Terror's teammate but they lost in the first round. It beat Quadsey in round 1 of the Assault Course but lost to Big Bro in the second round.
After retiring from Robot Wars, team member Rupert Weeks set up his own online robotics shop called Gadgetnet, which sold robot kits and toys.
- Team member Chris Weeks used to build pine beds which always collapsed.
- Tantrum had internal fans to prevent the speed controllers overheating.
- Tantrum is the first-ever robot to fall into the pit.
- Originally, Tantrum was supposed to have tracks, but the team found they made the robot difficult to control.
- "...they at first went for an ingenious and ambitious drive system including caterpillar tracks and a freely spinning triple-wheel assembly mounted on the front of the robot, to allow it to climb over obstacles. The tracks, made from pieces of car tyre, caused the robot to be far too difficult to control, so they were removed in favour of two large rear drive wheels (powered by two 50-watt wheelchair motors), although the front mounted triple wheel assembly was retained. The entire robot had been designed around the track system, so when the tracks were abandoned, the strength of the front wheel assembly had to be increased by using heavy duty castors"
- — The Robot Wars Technical Manual
- Sportsmanship Award - Robot Wars: The Second Wars