- "Looks like a lurid bottle top"
- — Jonathan Pearce describes Tender Caress
It managed to scrape through the Gauntlet stage as Angel of Death got stuck in the ramrig. However it was easily pushed off the Sumo ring in the Trial stage.
The team also entertained a few other teams whilst in the pits with some juggling, when waiting to go into the arena.
Tender Caress was a cylindrical shaped robot with a top speed of 15 mph and its main armament was a Sinclair C5 powered angle grinder with an 8' steel pointed tip and a titanium saw. The top armour was shock-mounted to reduce the shock of impact from another robot getting through to the electronics.
Tender Caress appeared at the Series 2 rehearsals unfinished and unpainted due to being built in short time. Despite this, it was sturdy build and the robot was successful in qualifying.
In the Gauntlet, Tender Caress started quickly, but looked a little uncontrolled. It managed to steer into the ramrig and drove halfway down the route, but then it became stuck in between Sergeant Bash and Dead Metal. It tried to escape, but was grabbed by Dead Metal. Cease was called and it had only travelled five metres. However, in fifth place, it had travelled far enough to get through to the Trial.
In the Trial, Dead Metal immediately pushed Tender Caress to the side of the podium where it was stuck, Dead Metal then pushed Tender Caress out of the Sumo ring, having only lasted 6 seconds, Tender Caress was eliminated. This caused some controversy as it was the only robot in the sumo that Dead Metal did not use its circular saw on before pushing it off the sumo ring.
- "Overconfidence can be a load of balderdash, couldn't it, really? Especially with Dead Metal in that sort of form- Oh, you're out!"
- — Jonathan Pearce's entire commentary as Tender Caress is dumped out of the sumo ring
|TENDER CARESS - RESULTS|
|The Second Wars - UK Championship|
|Heat L, Gauntlet||5.0m (5th)||Qualified|
|Heat L, Trial (Sumo)||6.03 Seconds (5th)||Eliminated|
|Series||Tender Caress Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Heat, Trial|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
- Tender Caress is one of twenty robots never to fight in robot combat, having only ever been in the Gauntlet or Trial.
- Tender Caress was the last robot to lose in the Trial in the Heats.
- In its design stage, Tender Caress was known was Whoabert.