- "I think later they sat up in the audience- and as they had their Ants and transmitters with them ( so not to lose them I suppose) they got singled out as being some hoodlums intending to crash the show by operating their transmitters. But that was probably just Derek Foxwell getting stroppy as he tended to do and the production crew hyping the whole thing for telly. More like some innocent kids just innocently hanging around with their stuff after their event got cancelled"
- — Simon Harrison on Tyrant's presence at Series 3 (Edited)
Tyrant, styled by its team as TyrANT, was a box-shaped antweight robot in attendance at the filming of Robot Wars: The Third Wars. It has been suggested Tyrant may have been present for a planned antweight battle, although this ultimately did not go ahead. Nevertheless, Tyrant made a cameo appearance in Heat M of Series 3.
Tyrant was created by a young student, Julian Corrie.
Tyrant was a box shaped robot armed with an aluminium scoop on the front and two spikes at the back of the machine, which were simply nails. The robot had little armour with most of the internals exposed, especially from the top and back, it also had two wheel drive which were exposed. The robot had two large antenna for radio frequency, which may have been the cause for concern during its cameo appearance in Series 3. The armour it did have was made from balsa wood.
The name Tyrant was styled by its team captain as TyrANT on the robot's website, drawing reference to the antweight nature of the machine within the word tyrant. Some sources such as Peter Waller also used the spelling TyrAnt.
Tyrant was one of several antweight robots in attendance at the filming of Series 3, potentially for the purposes of competing in an antweight competition for which a small arena was present backstage. However, the antweight roboteers in attendance were ultimately not allowed into The Pits for unknown reasons (potentially linked to filming delays caused by a known behind-the-scenes incident). As a result, Tyrant would not compete in any official competition at Series 3.
During filming, however, Derek Foxwell caught sight of Tyrant's team with a transmitter in the audience, and believed it may have been responsible for the radio interference was disrupting the control of heavyweights in the main competition, possibly a deliberate move. This moment was highlighted in Heat M whereby Foxwell eventually confirmed it was not radio tampering and was just the antweight Tyrant. After discussing Tyrant, the antweight was comically picked up by Philippa Forrester who compared its size to Sir Killalot.
- Philippa Forrester: "I told you about the transmitter that had to be confiscated from the audience, we got it here! Derek tell me about this and where did you find it?"
- Derek Foxwell: "Fortunately, one of the security guards confiscated it from the audience."
- Philippa Forrester: "Do you think this member of the audience knows any of the roboteers or were they there to cause trouble?"
- Derek Foxwell: "No, I don't think they were there to cause trouble at all, it's a fairly small robot and they brought it in to show it to us."
- — Philippa Forrester and Derek Foxwell discuss Tyrant
|Series||Tyrant Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Attended filming|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
Outside Robot Wars
Around the time when the Third Wars was filmed, Tyrant appeared in the first ever Antweight World Series where it faced Team Panda's Pants and Cannon Fodder as well as Oliver Steeples' Dozer, Odyssey and Type-0, where it managed to come second in the competition. Tyrant would reappear in AWS 3 and 4 before retiring, performing well in its appearances.
The team also created three other antweight robots: Bodge, a similar design to Tyrant with larger wheels that competed in AWS 2 losing two battles and getting a draw in the other. Ache, a tracked antweight that appeared in AWS 3 and 4 but performed poorly, and Osiris, a robot with a rear axe and lifting forks that only appeared in AWS 3, losing in the first round.