It's reaching the time where we're probably due another quiz, but the last one we tried didn't happen because nobody was around.
So, should we do another quiz, or can someone think of another Robot Wars related activity that we can meet up in a chat room and do? Discuss below.
Winter 2020 Only Connect quiz
With Ragnabot 3 now done, I think it's time to start thinking about a new quiz, and perhaps a new format. Mibbit has been great to us in the past, but maybe we can use Discord now, especially as that would be best for the new format I am proposing.
If you've ever seen the BBC quiz show "Only Connect", you'll know the format, but for those that don't know, here's the premise.
- The premise of the game is that you will be given a set of seemingly random clues, but all have a specific connection. For example, if I were to say "Terror Turtle, M2, S.M.I.D.S.Y., Hellbent", the connection is "All have been flipped out of the arena by Atomic". You get more points for getting it with less clues.
- Round 1 you are given the 4 clues and have to find the connection.
- Round 2 you are given up to 3 clues which are not only connected but in a specific order. You have to find the 4th in the sequence.
- Round 3 is the infamous connecting wall. You are given a grid of 16 things which can be grouped into 4 groups of 4. There are a few red herrings that could potentially go into multiple groups, but there is only one correct grouping for all 16.
- Round 4 is the missing vowels round, where a word or sentence is just comperessed into the consonants and you have to fill in the vowels to find the answer. This is on the buzzer against each other.
This is best done in teams of three. If you are interested, please say so below. I have come up with a good bunch of clues that Robot Wars fans like ourselves should be able to get without them being too easy. It'll be a challenge for knowledgeable fans like ourselves.
If we can find 6 people happy to voice chat and make teams, that would be perfect. Then we'd just need to find a time we can all coordinate and run this and we're all good!