Yeborobo was the first South African robot in a Robot Wars competition, fighting in the Second World Championship, aired as part of the first series of Robot Wars Extreme and Season 1 of Robot Wars: Extreme Warriors. After failing to move in battle, Yeborobo lost its only fight to Tornado.
Yeborobo was a black robot, armed with a conveyor lifter on the front and a pneumatic pickaxe on the rear, and was decorated with boggle-eyes on the front. It was powered by two truck windscreen wipers, but could only reach a top speed of 3mph.
"Yeborobo" is a play on the Zulu phrase "Yebo gogo," which literally translates to "yes, granny" but was used in South Africa as an all-purpose greeting. This was combined with "robo", referring to Yeborobo's robotic nature.
Yeborobo was entered by a team of South African roboteers, Andrew, Jon and Michael Kerr. The Yeborobo team were one of only two teams in Robot Wars to represent South Africa, alongside the team behind Crushtacean.
Extreme 1/US Season 1
- "I think it will be, Yeborobo and out!"
- — Jonathan Pearce's prediction that ultimately proved to be correct
Yeborobo was placed up against Philipper (representing Belgium), Tornado (representing the United Kingdom) and American champion Panzer Mk 2 in the first round of the Second World Championship. The fight was postponed from its original starting time, as Yeborobo was unable to enter the arena, so the team were given additional time to repair it.
- "Ourselves and Panzer were ready and went out into the arena, and waited. And waited. Yebo Robo was having problems, so the fight was postponed until after lunch! Yebo Robo was fixed over lunch, and once everyone was back out again, the fight commenced. I say out rather than in position, because both Philipper and Yebo Robo did not get to their start points!"
- — Team Tornado website
When the real battle started, a 'repaired' Yeborobo still struggled to even enter the arena, having to reverse itself in, and starting the battle deep inside a CPZ. Once in the arena, it did not move at all. After Refbot made efforts to nudge it to life, it was dragged onto the arena floor flipper by Dead Metal. Refbot counted Yeborobo out and it was thrown by the arena floor flipper, landing on top of Tornado. With ten seconds to go, Yeborobo was pitted by Tornado, who ultimately went on to win the battle.
|YEBOROBO - RESULTS|
|Extreme Series 1/US Season 1|
|The Second World Championship|
Representing Republic of South Africa, Heat
|Heat||vs. Panzer Mk 2 (USA), Philipper (BEL), Tornado (UK)||Eliminated|
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 1
|Main Series||Yeborobo Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
|Robot Wars Extreme||Appearances|
|Series 1||The Second World Championship, Round 1|
|Series 2||Did not enter|
- Yeborobo was one of only two robots in Robot Wars history to represent South Africa, the other being Crushtacean.
- Yeborobo also holds the distinction of being the only robot built in South Africa to compete in Robot Wars. Ironically, like Terror Australis, a robot with a similar accolade, it failed to move during combat.
- Yeborobo was the second occurrence of one machine in each World Championship failing to work and losing its only battle by default. This had happened to Terror Australis in the First World Championship and would later happen to Typhoon 2 in the Third World Championship.
- In the Robot Wars Extreme: The Official Guide, Yeborobo was notable for being the only robot listed with a turning circle greater than zero.
- Yeborobo is the only robot ever to appear in Robot Wars with a name beginning with Y.
- Aside from the participants in the 10 Robot Rumble, Yeborobo is one of only six robots to fight at least two past or future domestic champions in a single battle. The others to do this are 13 Black, Shockwave and the other robots in Yeborobo's Second World Championship heat: Tornado, Philipper and Panzer Mk 2.
- Because Yeborobo was the only robot in its Heat not to be a champion, it is the only robot to have fought three domestic champions in a single battle.
- Team captain Andrew Kerr formed an alternative rock band under the name "Yeborobo" in 2003, releasing an album titled "Buck Up Your Ideas Scout" a year later. The group performed as recently as 2008 before disbanding, though Kerr and two other band members have since joined the band Dog Chocolate.